Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #1 
Pogthefish

Jars?

I am running out of room to put tanks. I know you all say 1 gallon minimum, but if I take very good care of the jars and add plants and do daily water changes, would it be ok for the betta? The jars range from 1/4 to almost 1/2 gallon. I haven't worked out heating yet, but I am considering come of thse cheap aqueon ones that auto heat to 78. These may be temporary homes, or permanent for the bettas, basically I go to petco and buy bettas with minor problems (fungal infection, extreme fin rot, floating on top but breathing) and heal them, and 1/2 gallon jars would b good for that, right? I usually do 1 at a time in my 2.5, but it is in use. I have a TON of jars I found in the basement (ant used to live here..) should I go for it? Will the jars work?
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:22 PM   #2 
LizzyP

I've heard moving sickly bettas to a large tank at first isn't a good idea, only because their muscles and bodies aren't used to swimming in large areas because they are kept in little cups. So maybe until they are healthy you could slowly increase the size of the tank...Maybe someone else can help you as well. Good luck.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #3 
thekoimaiden

I know a lot of breeders will keep bettas in jars like you are describing, but I think your main problem is going to be heating. One heater per jar doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Too many plugs, and I wouldn't want to take a risk with preset heaters and sick bettas. The way breeders heat that many jars is a space heater. I've heard of putting the jars in a large tank filled with water. Set the jars down in the water, heat the main tank water, and let the heat from the water transfer to the jars. You've got a few options, but I think it depends on just how many jars you want.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #4 
Mo

I know a breeder who uses jars. She does every other day 100% cleanings on them. Keeps dividers in between them in some cases, and covers the top. She heats the house to maintain temperature I believe
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:02 AM   #5 
Aus

.. I dunno. It's one thing if you're a breeder selling fish on, or re-homing rescued fish. IMO, it's quite another thing if there's fish living permanently in tiny little jars everywhere...

I mean, why have those.. why not just be happy with the ones you've got in nice roomy tanks..?
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

I believe dividing tanks wi be less trouble some, heatable and cyclable?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:25 AM   #7 
Sena Hansler

Try finding a long tank. My petsmart has a 15 long for 30.00.... 25 long for about 45 or so. no hood however. Second hand stores are your friends!

A 20 LONG can be divided 5 giving each betta 4 gallons.

Heating each individual jar will be costly, hard, and not worth the trouble. I've heard of heat pads being used, but they use a LOT of electricity... I heat a room for my bettas, which then the room itself is at about 80.

When I have "too many" bettas, I divide my largest tanks into as many as possible, providing as much cover as possible for each betta, to avoid them getting stressed from their neighbors... OR I use coroplast. Sturdy, though you could use a little silicone to secure the top. Then this way they do not see each other, however there won't be air flow from a filter throughout each section.

I think jars should be kept for breeders, and sick fish. Not kept permanently... Unless for some reason a betta has a chronic issue, like Chronic SBD, but then a shallow bowl would be a better option.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #8 
Pogthefish

Sorry guys! I forgot to mention I sell them later, locally :P but I don't have a room that I can heat, except my edroom, which is okay in the day, but i like it 65 at night :P

I don;t want to divide tanks, because then whatever the disease is can spread. So yeah my main problem right now is heating... ideas? The floating in the tank idea is bad cuz I don't have anywhere to put a large tank, but I have a bookshelf for jars to go on.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #9 
Sena Hansler

hahaha oohhh whew! xDD

Put the jars up high. Heat RISES!! For the night try some hot water bottles on the shelf below them... Or around them. Along with a towel draped over them to avoid drafts?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #10 
MollyJean

When I need to hold a lot of fish, I take a rubbermade container or a spare tank and fill it about 4-5 inches with water, then put the fish each in his separate jar with whatever medications he or she needs and place a piece of plastic between them to keep them from seeing eachother. Like this.

As you can see, there is a heater in the back. the temp is a steady 78, and everyone has clean water.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote