Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2012, 04:18 AM   #1 
DormDrax

Question Missing scale? Odd fin placement? Micro bubbles on set of gills?

It's late so maybe I'm just seeing things.

Ugh... Um...

Tank: Ten Gal
Planted tank
Cycled...
7 neon tetras and ghost shrimp...
Temp around 85ish

Water specs... Normal
Cleaned regularly

Anyway... Maybe I'm just seeing things will take pics tomorrow but I'll describe it to maybe get a few people thinking.

declined feeding Sotto since he's kinda bloated ATM. Yet he's still begging (then eat the tetra flakes you picky pig!).

he had been hovering behind the filter then after begging went into a trance like swim and when he turned, on his right gill set I saw what looked like abit of ..... Clear slime and a micro bubble dangling from his gills... Also what appeared (I hope I was just seeing things, turned the tank into night mode now and turning it to day to fast freaks the tetras out) to be a hole behind his gills, and his right fin abit... Just abit cocked off...

Overall he seems fine... Still an aggressive pig *sigh*

The tetras are all healthy (never had an issue with them, and I've had them with Sotto for nearly 5 months so I doubt they caused it)

But... *shrugs* I guess until I post pics does this sound like anything? Slime coat issue? the hole doesn't look like a bite...

Oh I hope Sotto doesn't have some rare gill issue now and (OCD PARANOIA SETTING IN) and will soon loSe use of his fin and die and then infect the other fish and thus ruining my confidence in fish keeping (? What? I suffer from crippling paranoia and anxiety XD)

Any thoughts or will it have to wait till pictures?

*shrugs again and glances at tank*
He seems fine... ..... Yep chasing a Tetra... He's fine but ....

Hmm I'll be keeping my eye on him since this is peculiar.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

How are the water parameters..? How "off" is the fin. One of my females, during a vicious strain of columnaris held her infected fin to her body, like we would a broken limb!

Do you have any pokey plants? That can cause holes... Otherwise perhaps bacterial, like fin rot (stress can be a factor). Bloated might be over feeding, or, you said there was a bubble "hanging" from his gill? Like, from a thread?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:31 AM   #3 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
How are the water parameters..? How "off" is the fin. One of my females, during a vicious strain of columnaris held her infected fin to her body, like we would a broken limb!

Do you have any pokey plants? That can cause holes... Otherwise perhaps bacterial, like fin rot (stress can be a factor). Bloated might be over feeding, or, you said there was a bubble "hanging" from his gill? Like, from a thread?
None of the pics I took came out well... Or showed it... Sotto seems to be afraid of the camera (odd since he used to be so flamboyant about it)

New facts from monitoring...
I was insane over the HOLE... In the scales. So PHEW on that...

Bloated from overfeeding... *pauses* .... Yes... You're right... It's me and my moms fault, when I don't feed him I found out ( from pressing her ) that mom then feeds him, thinking it's cruel to skip a meal for proper digestion.

So I didn't feed him tonight. And even (yeah I'm drunk again) asked Sotto (lol) to forgive me.

But the bubble is gone... I think it was caused by him brushing against the sponge I have as a baffle... I need to clean the algae off it (the one time I'm lazy >,> ) it's gone now and his gills seem fine.

But on the fin in question... Right at the connection to the body... A white area or film... Has formed... Around the joint. The other fin is fine. That's why it bothers me.

As for plants... No... I only have real plants and the ones I have are non pointy. His favorite is the water onion which he seems to *glances at tank* yep... He's passed out on a group of leaves now... Quite cute heh since they are such thin leaves and seems to be balanced on them.

Hmm so overall he's ... Fine bloated... Duh but I spoil him (can you blame me? I wuv him lol)

Would try the pea method but I heard that's VERY controversial with cleaning a Bettas system out.

So... Bottom line (finally) the white film... Area... Around the fin joint. ATM doesn't seem to be bothering him. But... *thinks* I swear that wasn't there yesterday... Maybe an injury healing? Like a scab? Or is it most likely.... (replace DIP with ICK and you have my sudden reaction to the thought) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je3wNbZ1NqI (if your nervous of clicking... It's a clip from WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT) so... My line is OH MY GOD... ITS ICKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Is the film "slimy", "fuzzy" or....?

The reason a pea isn't the best, is because 1. they cannot digest it, it basically pushes everything out...and 2. it can sometimes do more harm than good and 3. bettas are insectivores... they get veggies through their prey =D

Back to the "film/slime"... If it doesn't disappear in a few days, it's probably not a wound healing (if you keep the water clean!). I've had a female get her mouth bit, it went white - which is slime coat - but I knew it wasn't mouth fungus lol. It went away in a week for the older gal.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:20 PM   #5 
DormDrax

Film Is less and fin is ... Has readjusted so probably a hot headed tetra got sick of being chased...

But the Bloating has gotten worse haven't fed him in two days and Finally a long strand lf poop is coming out... Or maybe a parasite? But its goopy... Diarharrea? How long does Bloating take to go down he's getting pretty swollen. Even though it's his own fault lol

*paranoia setting in*
Old 06-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Is the strand whit,e stringy, broken up, irridescent or see-through?