Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2008, 04:36 PM   #1 
pjpaigey

new betta fish owner

ok i just got my first betta fish i thought it was simple just put it in a bowl and feed it every day but i guess not...... first of all i have a 1/2 gallon tank is that big enough?? shodul i have more then just one of those fake plants in the tank?? how often shoudl i feed him and how much i have betta botes (pellets) and is there anything else i should know ?!?!
pjpaigey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:56 PM   #2 
SST

1/2 gal. is not big enough. Waste products will accumulate very quickly. Consider upgrading to a 5 gal. if you can, though anything larger at this point is good.

Feed your betta lightly. 5 pellets every other day. You can do water changes on the days in between feedings.

Don't put any more plants in the tank. They'll just take up more room and give your fish less room to move around in.
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:56 PM   #3 
crazy4fish

1/2 gallon definatly isnt big enough. you should have AT LEAST 2-3 gallons but preferablely 5 gallons.(your fish will be much happier and active if he has room) i personally like to have more plants than less but you have to make sure there is still room to swim. if you decide to get a 5 gallon (which i think you should) youcan add hiding places such as rock caves, or pots as well as plants. i think fish should be fed twice a day morning and night. some people feed them once a day (not of big fan of that i mean come on we eat more than 3 times a day) how much depends on the size of your betta and the size of the pellets (not to mention his appitite) some people say you should feed fish as much as they can eat in 3 min. but i dont know if this applies to bettas. if you dont have a filter than you should do regular water changes 2-3 times a week. if you do it often you wont have to replace as much water. even though they can breath dry air they shouldnt rely on it. if you give him/her fresh water by doing water changes he/she will be more healthy and happy. if you ever decide to put other fish in with him (first of all make sure your tank is big enough) make sure they arent nippy or agressive or they will eat and bit at your bettas fins. if you want to add a female make sure you add AT LEAST 2 because if there is only one and the male wants to breed he might bully her and if there is only one female to bully serious damage or death could occur to that fish. if you dont have a heater make sure the room that your tank is in doesnt get too cold. if you have any more question just ask. oh and have fun!
crazy4fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:09 PM   #4 

SST, you suggested only feeding every other day!
that is like 24 hours between feedings! Is that okay?
And won't all the water changes stress out the fish????
( I am not doubting you, i am just suprised/ ignorant )
3863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:38 PM   #5 
Little-Fizz

It's ok to feed every other day. I don't know about every other day water changes? I don't have a 1/2 gallon so I can't say how often you would need to be cleaning it. Oh lol you don't "need" fake plants anyways. It gives the fish something to hide in. But thats it. You should get a nice little 5 gallon and maybe try a real plant or two? And investing in a heater is a good idea.
Little-Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:43 PM   #6 
crazy4fish

i dont think every other day water changes is such a good idea either. and if you feed twice a day you would just give them less at a time. i think that is a better way to to it, but thats just me.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:54 PM   #7 
SST

I based my advice on a previous post by Betta Baby. She's kept fish in small bowls before successfully. By doing frequent 100% water changes, you're not allowing the ammonia and nitrites to build up in the water. Feeding them lightly means less poop and ammonia. I've started feeding my betta every other day and he's fine and dandy (and in a cycled 5 gal. tank).

Is it even possible to cycle a 1/2 gal tank?

If you don't want to do 100% changes, then do frequent 50% changes. Use a turkey baster to suck out poop and leftover food and to clean your gravel (if you've any.)
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:57 PM   #8 
crazy4fish

i think it would be better to do 50-25% percent changes rather than 100%. but i would definatly get a larger tank.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:07 PM   #9 
Falina

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4fish
i think it would be better to do 50-25% percent changes rather than 100%. but i would definatly get a larger tank.
I agree here, though I am basing this on a 5g tank as I have never had a betta in anything smaller.

I think feeding every secnd day is just fine. That's 48 hours between feding, not 24 though.
Falina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:22 PM   #10 
Little-Fizz

Thats not to much. I'd say if you have the time to feed him like this then do so.
Little-Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote