Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2012, 10:30 AM   #1 
lvandert

Trying to Help Someone

Ok so here's the deal, about two weeks ago I saw an add on craigslist about a lost cockatiel in my area. I have one of those and I'd be crushed if mine flew out the window so naturally I kept my eye to the sky. The bird's name is Opie and he belong's to a kid who has autism, all the more reason to look out for him. About a week after that another add on craiglist comes up "found cockatiel" so being the good person I am I send the link to the person who was looking for their bird. Since then we've been talking, and I've been trying to help them find their bird in any way I can.

The lady who posted the add about finding him wouldn't answer their e-mails so they asked me to try. I sent them 3 e-mails over the course of 3 days and no response. So I made my own add "To The Person That Found The Cockatiel". I got all snippy about how they're not answering their e-mails and called them a jerk because this could be an autistic kid's bird. Well I got a response with another e-mail address. Apparently it was this lady's friend who found him. So I emailed that new contact to the people that are looking for him.

On sunday another week that had gone by. On a whim I picked up a local sunday paper and looked in the classifieds. And there was another add for a found cockatiel in the same region the last one was found at, so it had to be the same bird. But this one had a phone number. So I e-mailed the person who had lost the bird and told them word for word what was said on the add, including the phone number.

Now they called these people and confirmed it was their Opie (name of bird) but now the lady wont answer the phone! Her husband tried calling but she said "sorry the bird has already been claimed" If the bird has been claimed and it's the wife who claimed it giver her the dang bird back! I feel so bad for these people, they have jumped through so many hoops to try to get their bird. I think the person might try to keep him. I told her if it needs to come to it they can go to the police but I hope it doesn't come to that.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #2 
eaturbyfill

If I were those people, I would call the police. :/

It's really kind of you to do so much to try and help those people. There needs to be more people who are willing to help others.. society would be so, so much better.
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #3 
thekinetic

Don't live in a dream land! You and they should just give up as it's apparent these individuals want money for it. Police won't help because there is no way you can identify a bird or claim it as property since birds need no tags or registration.
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #4 
lvandert

they don't want money for it. They would have said so by now. And they have identified it as theirs by pictures. It is their Opie.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #5 
BeckyFish97

Is there anyway you could organize to meet with these people?Would the bird recognise his owner?If you need to then get the police involved, it is stealing, and these people know it, also do cocatiels need to be registered?If the person has that information they could show the police!
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #6 
thekinetic

Birds look too alike, so it's going to boil done your word vs. theirs. In some cases it is not stealing, like cats are considered free spirits and thus are not subject to those laws.

Don't get me wrong I really hope they get it back but it just doesn't seem likely.
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:11 PM   #7 
lvandert

some cockatiels look a like yes but not all. I haven't heard anything new since earlier but I'm hoping tomorrow morning will shed new information
Old 06-27-2012, 04:47 AM   #8 
Romad
TFK Moderator

What confuses me is that if the people who found the bird planned to keep it, why would they advertise that they found a bird? Something doesn't sound right here.

I really hope that the rightful owners get Opie back. Kudos to you for trying to help.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #9 
kfish

This is so sad. :( I wish I could say without a doubt that the police would do something, but I doubt it. It is most CERTAINLY worth a try, though.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:58 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree with Romad. Why on earth would you advertise finding something if you didn't want to give it to it's rightful owner? Grr
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote