Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #1 
LebronTheBetta

Help Lebron, PLEASE!!!! D'X

I did a 100% Water Change yesterday. Now, Lebron has these Cloudy Strands on his Tail. He still acts like himself. Active, still eats, I don't know what to do!! I already Posted a Pic. It's a bit hard to see. Please. Help Lebron. He means the World to me. :(

Housing
What size is your tank? 3.5 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? 75F
Does your tank have a filter? I took it out a Few Months ago
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? TetraBetta Plus Pellets, Tropical Flakes, Freeze-Dried Bloodworm
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1 Pellet 3x a Day, Few small Flakes every other Day, Bloodworm 2x a Week.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Changing to 2x a Week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Changing to do a 100% and 50% Water Change
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top Fin Water Conditioner, I also added this Fake Moss Ball to Deoderize the Tank. Meant for 10 Gallons-20 Gallons

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: ?
Nitrite: ?
Nitrate: ?
pH: 6.5
Hardness: Pretty Hard Water. Don't know Exact
Alkalinity: ?

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Cloudy Film on Fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No. Same Active Self
When did you start noticing the symptoms? When I woke up to check Lebron. Scared me. Cloudy Tank.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I just took out the Moss Ball.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Had a very small case of Fin Rot from Pet Store. Healed with Clean Water.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Got him March 23, 2012

Here's a Pic of the Cloudy Strand, HELP:

He's Swimming Away. The Tank is a Bit Cloudy too!!
HELP ME!!!!!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #2 
Kenny G

Adding aquarium salt to the water may help. It sounds like it could be a bacterial fungus infection. Also if your heater is adjustable I would raise it temp up. Betta's like water temps between 78 - 82 degrees. Keep on doing the daily water changes. If the water stays cloudy I would say change 90% of it.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

I bought a Stupid Heater. Stays only at 75F. -_- I think there's something wrong with my Tap Water that I don't know.
Will he Die? I don't want him too. Doesn't have any Symptoms except for the Cloudy Strands.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #4 
Mo

It almost certainly doesnt look like a fungal infection. It looks very similar to Slime Coating wiping off of his body and fins. Just make sure that the water is very clean as there slime coat helps protects them against many diseases. I would do daily water changes to maintain, close to perfect water quality.... Also, The cloudy water could be caused by dirt and debris being stirred up< this causes the water to become cloudy, It should settle, you can choose to do another water change though and clean the gravel thoroughly
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

Is there something causing it to go off?
Old 06-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Looks like his slime coat is sloughing off.....this usually is caused by some type of contamination or parasite irritating him.....

When you made the 100% WC-how did you re-acclimate him to the tank-did you use enough dechlorinator or did you add anything else to the water...

What I would recommend-make a 50% water only and double dose the dechlorinator...You may need to make a few daily water changes....

Is he flashing or rubbing on any objects in the tank....

Your temp is fine at 75F IMO/E.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:16 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

I acclimated him, I used enough Water Conditioner. He doesn't seem to be Rubbing on anything. He's just acting normal as usual. I'll do a Water Change and see what will happen. I think that the Slime Coat is coming off and making the Tank cloudy. Is he going to be okay? I don't want him to die. :(
Old 06-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #8 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I am not sure as I am very new to Betta keeping but I have read where others have used something called Stress Coat I believe you might look that up and see if thats something you might be able to use. Maybe put him something else with new conditioned water and clean the tank and fill it and keep and eye on it for a while to see if its still getting cloudy. This might be a good place to start till others can help as to what the problem might be. Best of luck I dont think this is anything that would kill him and he is acting normal thats a great sign !
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #9 
LebronTheBetta

I'll stick with Daily Water Changes. Thanks PerseusMom. I'll probably change to that. It's a Water Conditioner, right? I'll have to introduce it to him carefully. It looks like that the Stray Stress Coat pieces got off. I think he'll be fine.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #10 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Your very welcome Lebron and thats good news, I was thinking to you think maybe he rubbed against the new moss ball and that started his slime coat to come off ?

I just got some moss balls today but they are the real ones, got them from ebay for 2 dollars apiece and 3.50 for shipping so I got 3 of them...soaking them for a week in just tap water to kill off anything that might be hiding on them for a week before adding them to the tank. Keep us updated on how he is doing he seems like a awesome guy !
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote