Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #1 
Kalani

New here :)

Hi My name is Kathy (and I equally answer to Kalani lol) and I am new to bettas.
I don't have a betta yet and am currently cycling my first aquarium (a 5 gallon) and slowly adding what I need before getting my fish in the next two weeks.

My husband, kids and I are all looking forward to getting a betta (they are cute and full of personality) but we've decided to stick to our local pet shops.(petco and petsmart are a good 30 miles from us)

Pet shop A has one or two bettas in mixed tanks with other fish.....I'm not even sure that they have them labeled correctly. (One is labeled as female, and I'm pretty sure its a male). They do look healthy however but my hackles are raised as apparently these fish come from some sort of fish mart, bought wholesale, plus the mislabeling of an obvious male. They also had a betta in a glass vase....I was really bothered by that.

Pet shop B has 9-10 bettas, gender is not labeled however each betta is in a 1 gallon bowl but the pet store has a good rep for keeping healthy fish and changing water regularly. I believe they are from local breeders.
The downside is they are pretty far from us, but its a better run shop. (The owners started off as fish breeders too)

I'm hoping to start this out right and I'm afraid of getting a betta and it dying within 2 weeks or something.
Kalani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #2 
Purple

Welcome to BettaFish.Com, Kathy!!

If I were you, I would go to Pet Shop B. It's better to get a healthy betta at first, instead of one you might need to nurse back to health. Also, look for a male that has fins that looks like a female's. That is a younger betta. They can live up to five or six years, but they usually live about two years. Big, colorful, and "flashy" bettas are already about a year old. I'm glad that someone that cares so much about their fishes' health is joining the betta community!
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:30 AM   #3 
Romad
TFK Moderator

I agree with going to the place that has the healthiest looking bettas. You only have to make the trip once so worth it IMO.

Welcome to the forum. Let us know when you get your new fish buddy :)
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #4 
Kalani

Ideally I'd love to go buy a fish at the end of the week, but in reality I think it'll be a month. I still have to add more decorations, more real plants (we just have a tiny Amazon Sword) and a heater. My husband and I decided we will wait until we are going to be in the town of Pet Shop B....they really are awesome anyway and thats where we bought our tank.
Oh the tank is the 5 gallon Marina kit. :)
Old 06-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Hi Kathy, welcome to the forum.

Looking forward to seeing your future wet buddy.... don't forget pictures.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:30 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and (soon) to the wonderful world of Betta keeping...

Enjoy your stay

Be sure and ask questions in the proper section for best response....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #7 
Kalani

Just an update: Tank is cycled and we got our fish! (and everything else)
I am just waiting to put the Malaysian driftwood in the tank (its soaking)

We got a Super Delta. He's gorgeous and very healthy looking. He's still not named as my kids aren't home for the next two days. I will post a picture soon.