Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2012, 08:41 PM   #1 
Eveh

Not Eating?

Hey all! So I tried to feed my betta super but instead he nibbled (not really he tried to take a bite (once) but failed) but didn't eat even one pellet! I feed him 4 Wardley betta pellets a day 2 in the morning 2 at night. I'm thinking he is just getting over the "crisis" (When I was moving him (installing heater) he kept swimming away and I think I (accidently) torn his tail... a little...(noticed it once I got him in a bowl/cup (fin rot couldn't have spread a lot since the morning right?) Anyway and when I got him in he seemed emm... grayish (my dad said he went into shock) So maybe thats why hes not eating?? Here's a picture of his tail!

Oh no! No picture! Seems hes camera shy and faster -.- I'll get one tomorrow when my and comes and drops off her camera
Eveh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:49 PM   #2 
FishyFishy89

not sure if i understand the "crisis"
did YOU move? or were you moving the tank? or were you just installing a heater/possibly moving around decor?

When was your last water change? How could he have possibly received shock? Was he in his cup? Was there new water added? How did you acclimate him? How big is his tank? Did you do any water tests? Add any conditioner or stress coat?
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #3 
Eveh

I was installing a heater and someone on here told me to take him out so I tried and finally got him in the cup separate from the tank (2.5 gal) I noticed his torn tail then o.o Then his color started fading.... I put him in the tank and put stress coat in. His color started returning almost immediately. No water tests, last water change was yesterday, Some new water was added but not a lot.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #4 
Eveh

Ok here is the video (the water isn't really that color its night so ya o.o) http://s1262.photobucket.com/albums/...urrent=005.mp4 At the bridge you can see some of his tail D8
Old 06-25-2012, 09:25 PM   #5 
Purple

It sounds like stress to me. You'd be stressed if your most beautiful appendage was torn! Ha.

Keep his tank clean so that the tear doesn't get infected. Some people put in aquarium salt when their betta's fins get torn, but that's up to you. There's too much debate over that for me to to tell you whether to do it or not to.
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #6 
FishyFishy89

Are you certain coordinator was added into the separate water?
sounds like he got poisoned to me

clean water is all that is needed for fins
Old 06-26-2012, 08:41 AM   #7 
Eveh

Conditioner was NOT added to the water he was in separate from the tank. I just got gravel so should I get a gravel syphon??? I also don't have aqua salt 8(
Old 06-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #8 
Blue Fish

So you put him into unconditioned water? Or did I misread that? If the water wasn't conditioned, do it now, along with the stress coat, and he'll probably be okay. :) I've seen more rec's on here for stress coat for torn fins than salt, but I think it's personal preference as many people have many different opinions. I wouldn't think a water change and a fin tear would be stressful enough to really hurt him?
Also, did the water change temp very much? I've read that a several degree temp change rapidly can really cause them stress.

I hope he's on the mend soon!
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #9 
FishyFishy89

Agreed
If he was in unconditioned water he could be poisoned by the chlorine.
Add conditioner and stress coat.