Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #1 
turbosquid

Lighting question

First, I want to thank everyone on these firums for being a wealth of good info. I inherited a handsome young male betta from a mom who's kid lost all interest after a week. Since then I've been using this forum for most all my info, and you guys are great

Currently my dude is in a 2.5g 80 degree filtered tank, fully live planted with sword plants, java ferns and a wisteria. Sadly since he was sort of a rescue, I'm forced to do the 'fish in' tank cycle. But I'm testing 2 times a day and not letting it get past .25 ppm. He seems pretty happy overall. At least he did until I switched his lighting...

When I was setting all this up and getting him acclimated from a crummy bowl to his tank, I didnt have the right lights. So I ordered a fluorescent light strip & full spectrum bulb off amazon. While that was being shipped, I was just using a standard 60watt lightbulb and he was happy as could be.

But after the new light arrived and was installed, he hides in his cave. I've isolated this behavior to the light... turn it on, he hides. Turn it off, he comes out and cheerily explores his tank. Since the tank is planted, it needs the unfiltered full spectrum lighting through the day. So my question is, will he get used to it? Or should I switch to a different setup? Any suggestions would be helpful, I don't want to stress him out. Thanks!
turbosquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #2 
Shadyr

Really seems like this is a "Time will tell" kind of situation. Just leave it on for a while and see if you can tempt him out of his cave with a pellet or treat.

Hope he gets used to it! I love how real plants look, and my bettas really seem much happier with them vs the silk plants.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lighting