Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #1 
fairy74

What Medication

I was just wondering before i set up my new tank what medications i should always have to hand in case of fish illness/disease?
i already have some swim bladder and finrot treatment,what else is essential?
Thanks.
fairy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #2 
Canuck Fins

Clean water is key above all else. If you can keep up with water changes, you may not need medications. Are you far from a fish store that you need to stock up? I've had my fish for over a year and never have needed any medication.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #3 
lelei

The best thing to have, Is Epsom salt, and/or Aquarium salt, as it is good for most things that fishy's do get sick from, other than that..*Clean Water, and regular water changes will prevent from any sickness, but j/i/c you take care of a sick fishy..(possibly a rescue) that would be best..:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #4 
fairy74

Thanks for the replys,aquarium salt is now on my list.
How often would i need to do a water change on a 27 gallon tank? or does that depend on water ph?
Old 06-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #5 
lelei

If it's a cycled tank, I beleive you wouldn't need to change the water fully..but partial changes, and gravel vaccumming, I am not sure about a tank that size, did you cycle it?
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #6 
fairy74

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
If it's a cycled tank, I beleive you wouldn't need to change the water fully..but partial changes, and gravel vaccumming, I am not sure about a tank that size, did you cycle it?
Its not set up yet,still waiting for the sideboard to arrive(very frustrating)but i will cycle it for 4-6 weeks,my female bettas are in a 30litre and seem happy enough till then..i will most likely keep the old tank for a single male betta once the new one is cycled.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:02 AM   #7 
Blue Fish

Some members recommend having Indian Almond Leaves and/or Oak leaves on hand. The leaves are dried and release a tannin into the water that *I think* helps with antibacterial properties and soothes. You can order IAL online, and you can probably find Oak leaves around somewhere. Just make sure the leaves are clean (no pesticides), rinse them well, and then allow them to dry. If you want more information, see if you can get OldFishLady (one of the mod's) to help you out, she's the expert on this sort of thing. :)

Good luck to you!! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote