Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2012, 09:45 AM   #1 
lestranch

FIN CURL Need Answer on why

My betta has a couple places on the tips of his fins where it looks like they are slightly curled up (kind of look like little knots) only on the right side of his bottom fin. I read that is was because of ph or water hardness but my tests come out at PH: 6.8-7.2 (neutral) Hardness: 0-25 (very soft) range. I am using Tetra easy strips to test his water. His water temp is 79 degrees. Put the heater in this morning. Before I had the heater, his water was around 75 degrees.

Someone please explain to me why his fins are curling. Also, I am currently treating him for slight fin rot by doing 50% water changes and aq salt.
lestranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:08 AM   #2 
cjconcepcion

Can you post a picture? if he had fin rot in the past, his fins probably just grew back that way, in any case when a bettas fins are damaged, it never grows back exactly the same as it was before
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:12 AM   #3 
lelei

Also..if you could include what size housing your betta is in?..Is this the same tank your treating him in?
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:32 AM   #4 
Blue Fish

One of mine is like that as well. I had the same water results, everything was within normal range, but still with the slight curling. Buckley is a very large blue and white halfmoon, with long expressive fins. All of his fins seem to have a slight ruffling to them, not enough for him to be the ruffled type, but I wondered if that very slight ruffling was part of the curling, and it's just the way his fins grow? He's healthy, swims, eats, happy, etc. so I haven't worried about it unduly. Perhaps your boy is the same way, and some of them just have a bit of a curl? I only know about fin curling from what I've read on here, so I'm sure that others will have an opinion (and hopefully some more information! :) as well. Good luck to you, and I hope you find a satisfactory answer soon. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #5 
lestranch

Fin curl pic

here is the pic of his tail. He lives in a 5 gallon filtered/heated tank
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #6 
lelei

Has he been in the 5 gal for a while, or just recently go in from a previous smaller size tank? I just recently upgraded our new lil Rescue's tank, from a vase ( the way he came to me) to a Kritter keeper, 1.75 gal for AQ salt treatment, as his fins were like shriveled up, and now after 3 days salt treatment, he has moved up to a 3 gal, and all his fins are opened up:) If you've had him in there right along, then maybe he's gettin swooped up by the filter intake..not sure..sorry I really don't know:(
Old 06-26-2012, 10:25 AM   #7 
lelei

Is your fishy a VT?
Old 06-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #8 
Silverfang

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjconcepcion View Post
Can you post a picture? if he had fin rot in the past, his fins probably just grew back that way, in any case when a bettas fins are damaged, it never grows back exactly the same as it was before
I don't know if it's true or not, but I've heard this a few times. My VT, Champagne, has the kinks/curls/spirals/knots (pick your word for it!) in his fins and tail too.

Water hardness/softness, Ph, damage, genetics, I've been tolld all of those can cause it. As long as it's not causing him any discomfort, you should be good.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:31 AM   #9 
cjconcepcion

My VT's tail had a little accident with the filter intake a few months ago..... and it all grew back just like yours did, but more curly and a different color, same thing with two of my tail biters, whenever they bit it it grew back differently
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #10 
lestranch

Yeah he has always been in his 5 gallon tank. And with the filter it is litterally impossible for him to get his fins messed up since it is a cube in the middle of his tank with tiny holes for filtration (Fluval chi tank/filter). Who knows maybe it was from his previous fin rot. It just confused me because most of the time I read their fins will do that if the water is hard, but his water has tested very soft. strange...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
Has he been in the 5 gal for a while, or just recently go in from a previous smaller size tank? I just recently upgraded our new lil Rescue's tank, from a vase ( the way he came to me) to a Kritter keeper, 1.75 gal for AQ salt treatment, as his fins were like shriveled up, and now after 3 days salt treatment, he has moved up to a 3 gal, and all his fins are opened up:) If you've had him in there right along, then maybe he's gettin swooped up by the filter intake..not sure..sorry I really don't know:(