Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2012, 01:20 AM   #1 
lyolya

Smile need help with First Shrimp-Only tank!

I tried keeping a few shrimp in a community tank but they died when they tried to molt. It could be me or it could be the shrimp - i always had fish problems from the store i got them at. Anyway. My grandma is in a nursing home for now and i wanna set up a shrimp bowl for her. I have a bowl, it's like 2 gal. Ideally - i just wanna dump some sand, live plants, floating plants and shrimp in. i don't wanna deal with filters and heaters and such.. but i do have a sponge tiny filter and heater if i have to... just too many wires, she already has too much stuff piled up everywhere lol basically, just wanna have a pretty bowl for her to enjoy.
i saw those self-sufficient glass bowls w shrimp that obviously don't have any filters or heaters so i wondered if i could set up smth like that. i can feed and change some water a few times a week.

any ideas guys how to best approach this?
tnx!
lyolya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:34 AM   #2 
sparkyjoe

I'm still researching this topic myself, but do a Google search for "Walstad Shrimp Bowl" and see what comes up.
Posted via Mobile Device
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:53 AM   #3 
Aus

In my experience, the temps in nursing homes are kept both pretty warm and pretty constant. I think a few shrimp would be okay in that sort of environment as long as someone's doing regular water changes/top ups.

No filter will be fine but consider a little airstone. I don't think they're fond of stagnant water.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:58 PM   #4 
lyolya

i do have an airstone but those things are so loud, i really don't like it :/

i checked out walstad method and it does seem easy enough. just dump everything in at the same time and ur done lol what are some commonly found plants in LFS's that are not picky, don't shed much and grow fast?
lyolya is offline   Reply With Quote