Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2012, 04:48 PM   #1 
Fawnleaf

Is this normal??

Hi Everyone!

I have a guppy in my tank, who was born to two pet store bought guppies a few months ago. He has a blue torso and a red tail--fairly common among guppies. However, his tail is jagged in a strange way that I have not seen before. Anyway, I just want to know if I should breed him or not so that I don't end up with strange or sick fry.

Thank you!!
Fawnleaf
Attached Images

Fawnleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #2 
Goldibug

It is difficult to tell from the photo but he may have fin rot. Does the edges of his tail look black and ragged/melted? If not he may be getting fin nipped. Have you noticed any fish picking on him? The last thing it may be is a genetic deformity and if that's the case then I wouldn't breed him.
Goldibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #3 
Fawnleaf

He has been that way his entire life, and he has no black edges. His tail is really healthy. He isn't being picked on, and his fins are not ragged. I think it's a genetic deformity, but would it be a desirable trait in fry?
Old 07-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #4 
Goldibug

From what I've heard Guppy keepers want their fish with full fancy fins. I would look into it more through a Guppy club/competition. Maybe they do allow different tail types like they do with bettas but as far as I know they don't and it wouldn't be a sought after trait.
Goldibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #5 
Fawnleaf

Thanks!! I know that there can be many tail types in guppies but I never knew if this particular tail was desirable or not. Thank you so much for your help!!!