Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2012, 07:43 AM   #1 
Gen2387

Advice and opinions on Zoo Med products.

So I already have 2 bettas in a 5 gal and a 3 gal both heated and filtered. I'm thinking of adding a new member to my fishy family and I've come across the Zoo Med betta section at my LPS.

Space wise right now, I'm thinking of going with the ZooMed 2 gal betta house. Does anyone have one of those?

Also it won't be filtered but it will be heated (no choice here in Canada) and I saw this: http://www.amazon.com/Submersible-Be...=zoo+med+betta
As anyone ever used it? Does it work? If not has anyone a better idea to heat this 2 gal.?

Thanks everyone!!!!!

P.S. In an unfiltered 2 gal if I do 50% water change twice a week, is it enough?
P.P.S. If anyone can post pictures of their bettas in their betta house please do.

Last edited by Gen2387; 06-27-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #2 
Laki

It works fine.. For a couple of months if you're lucky. I wouldn't reccommend anybody waste money on it. I bought mine online before my stores carried 10w heaters and I loved it. It says to bury it in the gravel but I found that the heat couldn't escape. I got rid of it and bought a 10w heater for my 2g tank. It's a cheap Aqueon 10w heater for the mini bow tanks. PetSmart has them for less than 20$. Walmart also has small watt heaters for less than 20$. My mom has one and they work well (she has been using it since March)
You can buy a 25w heater with adjustable temp gauge and use it in the 2-3 gallon tanks. IT will last you a lot longer because it doesn't have to always be switching on and off to keep the temp. :)
Laki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:21 AM   #3 
kfish

Seconding Laki! An adjustable 25W should work fine for you, as would a 10W preset. :) Test it out/watch the temperature for a day before you put a betta in there just to make sure it's holding where it should be. It's really nice to be able to adjust the temperature, so I'd go with an adjustable rather than preset if it was me.

This is my adjustable 25W and it's amazing. :) If you ever upgrade, it'll work in larger tanks, too! http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-THEO-Sub...hydor+theo+25w

Addendum: As far as water changes, every bowl/tank is different, but you might have to do more than 2 50% a week. The only way to really know is to test the water for ammonia and base your schedule around keeping it down. With no live plants, I think you will have to do 1 50% and 1 100% per week.

If you have space enough for something larger than 2 gallons, this is a great tank and can be cycled. It's 5 gallons and comes with light and filter for $25. I have one. :) http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=14660258&adid=bzv_fb_revshr_ 001

Last edited by kfish; 06-27-2012 at 10:31 AM.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #4 
Gen2387

Sadly I only have space for a 2 gallon right now. I still live at home and my dad doesn't mind the aquariums as long as they are in my room. Lol.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:34 AM   #5 
kfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen2387 View Post
Sadly I only have space for a 2 gallon right now. I still live at home and my dad doesn't mind the aquariums as long as they are in my room. Lol.
Aww! I thought that would be the case, but I figured I'd make sure it wasn't price. You know what you're doing, so just follow your gut with water changes and I'm sure you'll do fine.

I'm sure there are people here who have the betta house! Hopefully someone will come by and post a picture.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #6 
Laki

I missed the part about the Betta House. I thought you wanted to see pics of any betta "house"!! lol
Those are sophisticated tanks! I like the look of them actually. I only ever saw the 1g for sale in my LPS. Is there a way to cover the hole on top? Betta can jump and will for no reason if they feel so inclined. If you fill the water to the top, which I would suggest, just cover the hole with a bit of plastic wrap with a couple holes poked in it.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #7 
ZackyBear

I have that heater. Very good IMO, but I got tired of it not being adjustable.
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #8 
SweetNightmare

We have one of those two gallons set up at my work, the racetrack shaped one. Unfortunately, it's not heated, but it is bigger than those cups and I try to cycle which betta is in it judging by which one doesn't look like it's doing well. It's fairly easy to clean, though getting the betta out can be hard. (I just pour him into our soft net to get him into the cup.) It's a great alternative if you want something cute but the proper size. (Lots of people I meet want to get those cute little half gallon cubes.)
SweetNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #9 
Gen2387

Lol, I didn't think about the fact that it would be dificult to get the betta out.... it's true, I mean the hole isn't that big. Maybe I'll just go for a simple 2 gallon instead, they might be a little less fancy looking than the zoo med but at least they're easier to clean. Walmart has some nice 2 gals.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #10 
Laki

Kritter Keepers are another cheap alternative.