Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2012, 06:30 AM   #1 
teeneythebetta

Help! Betta with DROPSY??

I have a Betta that has been in QT, all of a sudden a few days ago she stopped eating and shes been lazy; slightly bloated and today I notice her scales are facing outwards a little.

I cannot keep her in a separate tank that is heated; I planned on her going into my heated sorority tank but the only other spot I can have a tank doesn't have a plug.

HOW CAN I SAVE HER? HELP!
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Here, this should help you:
Dropsy
•Symptoms: Your betta will have a bloated belly and raised scales. They will look like a pine cone. This is usually a fatal disease caused by an internal bacterial infection resulting in internal organ failure but many have had success bringing fish back when treated quickly.
Early Symptoms: Swollen eyes (important), Gray belly (important), Clamped fins, Lethargy. If your fish has swollen eyes and a gray belly, I suggest that you treat it for Dropsy.
•Treatment: If you spot the early signs of Dropsy then treat him/her with ES at 1-2tsp/gal and Jungle’s Anti-Parasite pellets while performing 100% daily water changes. It helps to increase the temperature to 84*F. If he/she has begun Pineconning then do the full course as described below:
Performing daily 100% water changes. Increase the temperature to 84*F. Add 1-2 tsp/gal Epsom Salt. Use API General Cure OR API Erythromycin OR Maracyn II and/or Maracyn for best results. Feed something containing Metronidazole, for example, Jungle’s Anti-Parasite pellets. If caught early, Dropsy is curable.

We are so lucky that DarkMoon put the Diseases and their Treatments.
Hope she gets better!!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #3 
MoonShadow

I pulled this off of my most recent betta blog entry, it might be helpful to you

Quote:
Dropsy isn’t a disease, but rather a symptom of other underlying problems, and there is no single underlying problem for every case. A fish with dropsy will be obviously round and swollen, particularly around the abdomen, the swelling causes the scales to stick out, and when viewed from the top the fish will resemble a pine cone. Fish suffering from dropsy are often lethargic, poorly colored, and uninterested in food.

The symptom that we call dropsy is essentially an accumulation of fluids within the body. As the body swells the scales are forced out, causing the pine cone appearance. The most common causes of dropsy are bacterial infections caused by poor water quality and maintenance, certain viral and protozoan infections, and organ failure.

Dropsy is extremely difficult to treat, by the time the fluid in the body has built up enough to cause the scales to pine cone, Severe internal damage has already occurred. By the time it gets to this point it’s usually best to euthanize the fish. You can try treating with Anti-biotics, epsom salt and increased water temperatures, but most of the time these treatments do not work, and you are just prolonging the suffering of the fish.
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #4 
teeneythebetta

Thanks guys. I feel euthanization is the best wayto go :(

MoonShadow, I heard something about using clove oil to knock out the fish, then putting the body into very cold water. Does that method sound sufficient to you? :(
Old 06-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #5 
MoonShadow

Clove oil is a sedative at low doses, but at higher doses it has been recommended by some researchers as an inexpensive way to euthanize fish, particularly small fish. In a container, mix aquarium water with clove oil and mix. When exposed to high concentrations of clove oil, fish quickly lose consciousness and stop breathing, both of which reduce pain. Hypoxia eventually causes death, and once verified, the fish can be removed from the water and clove oil mixture, some people choose to add alcohol to the clove oil and water which will cause the fish to pass on more quickly then the clove oil would alone. The required dose for euthanasia is 400 mg/l or more.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #6 
Purple

At least try! Lower the tank's water level and put a few things in the tank for her to rest on. What if you got sick and the doctors decided to kill you? I understand that you don't want your fish to suffer, but dropsy is curable sometimes. You said that her scales were just sticking out a little.

Note: If you do decide to euthanize her, don't put her in cold water/the freezer like some sites advocate. Bettas can feel the ice crystals forming in their body and their organs being punctured... Not a pretty picture.
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #7 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple View Post
At least try! Lower the tank's water level and put a few things in the tank for her to rest on. What if you got sick and the doctors decided to kill you? I understand that you don't want your fish to suffer, but dropsy is curable sometimes. You said that her scales were just sticking out a little.

Note: If you do decide to euthanize her, don't put her in cold water/the freezer like some sites advocate. Bettas can feel the ice crystals forming in their body and their organs being punctured... Not a pretty picture.
I understand what you're saying. I just don't have any place to put a tank that can be heated. She will be in a cold 72 degree tank. It's all my fault. She will suffer otherwise.

Honestlybim not sure if i CAN do this. I was about to head to the store to get clove oil but.. I'm too upset.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #8 
teeneythebetta

Okay I can temporarily keep the tank on my bathroom counter! I'm gonna go get Epsom salt, anti parasite food and sone sort of medicine you guys listed. I feel cruel for keeping her alive but I'd feel cruel killing herZ

Am I doing the right thing?

Also what is a good heater available at petco for the 2.5 gal tank she will be in? I need an adjustable one. PETco only. Also you said lower the water level- how many inches deep should I keep the water?
Old 06-27-2012, 02:01 PM   #9 
teeneythebetta

PANDORA JUST DIED!!! she was freaking out darting around all of a sudden. She was in pain I should've gotten the clove oil earlier.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #10 
MoonShadow

I'm sorry that you lost her!

I know that everyone wants to do everything they can for their sick fish, but honestly the pineconing scales is the sign that a lot of internal damage has been done, and the betta is mostly likely suffering some sort of organ failure, and the kindest thing that can be done is to relieve the suffering instead of prolonging it by trying to treat the fish to make themselves feel better. I'm not aiming this at you OP, just the people in general who say, don't kill, try and help. Sometimes the fish is just plain beyond help.