Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #1 
LizzyP

Cleaning tank

So I'm doing my first 100% water change with my new tank, and I need a little help. I have a small Tupperware container for Dumbledore to wait in while I'm cleaning (Don't know what happened to his original cup, but the container I use is about the same size as the original cup). He's petrified of a net, and I don't like netting them anyway because of their delicate fins so I find it easier to scoop him up in this container. However, when it's time to put/acclimate him in his new clean water how do I get him in there without putting dirty water in the clean water? Obviously net him in the container but it stresses him out so bad I'm scared I'll hurt him. Any suggestions?

Lizzy
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

One way you can do it...pour the Betta into the net from the holding container after you properly acclimated with the 100% water change...

What size tank, is it filtered, any live rooted plants.....I am asking-since sometimes 100% water changes are not needed......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #3 
Shadyr

Unless your "dirty" water is sludgy or contaminated with something you are worried about, don't worry about a little getting in the "clean" water. I usually float the cup for a while to even the temp, and then add a bit of the clean water to the cup 2-3 times over that time, and finally dunk the edge of the cup so the clean water flows in, hold it like that till betta swims out, then remove the cup, which should still contain mostly the old water.

Have a treat ready to tempt him out, I found after the first couple of attempted decuppings that it was either that our pour him out
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #4 
BETTACHKALOVE

Just want to add something...
I also can't use a net i scoop hem with a cup when i do my 100% water changes. One suggestion cover the cup with your hand. I had accident when betta jumped out. They are really good jumpers.
Also one more suggestion i read someone does it and i start doing the same. I don't use heaters for them in the summer so i use aged water because it easier for new water to be the same temperature ...I just put dechlorinator and let it sit for 24 hrs before i change them.

Sorry, now may be it silly but i want to write it. I always hold my hands under the water , make sure it clean before i change them/feed them. Since we put changing cup in his tank for acclimation i always make sure i put cup (while i clean the tank)on clean disposable plate. I change them in the kitchen ,and my table can have residue from the soap after cleaning.

Last edited by BETTACHKALOVE; 06-27-2012 at 02:58 PM.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #5 
LizzyP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
One way you can do it...pour the Betta into the net from the holding container after you properly acclimated with the 100% water change...

What size tank, is it filtered, any live rooted plants.....I am asking-since sometimes 100% water changes are not needed......
It's a 3 gallon tank with a filter, but no plants. I did to a 50% water change Sunday, and I figured middle of the week, good day to do a 100%.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Since you have a filter.....I wouldn't make any 100% water changes....

On 3gal filtered tank without live plants....twice weekly 50%...1-50% water only and 1-50% to include the substrate by vacuum or stir and dip method should maintain water quality...

Filter media-give that a swish/rinse in the bucket of old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month to maintain water flow.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #7 
LizzyP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BETTACHKALOVE View Post
Just want to add something...
I also can't use a net i scoop hem with a cup when i do my 100% water changes. One suggestion cover the cup with your hand. I had accident when betta jumped out. They are really good jumpers.
Also one more suggestion i read someone does it and i start doing the same. I don't use heaters for them in the summer so i use aged water because it easier for new water to be the same temperature ...I just put dechlorinator and let it sit for 24 hrs before i change them.

Sorry, now may be it silly but i want to write it. I always hold my hands under the water , make sure it clean before i change them/feed them. Since we put changing cup in his tank for acclimation i always make sure i put cup (while i clean the tank)on clean disposable plate. I change them in the kitchen ,and my table can have residue from the soap after cleaning.
The summer we have AC on in the house and the house is set at 72F, and I like to keep my tank at 80-82. I have a thermostat on my heate so it shuts off when it gets too warm, and turns on when it gets cold.

And another thing, you said the table has residue from soap? I thought you couldn't use soap on anything you put in the tank. Slightest soap residue can kill your fish. I just use hot water and paper towels to get the ornaments/decorations clean.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #8 
BETTACHKALOVE

You don't have to have 82* though. 76-80* is good temperature.

Yes you don't need to use soap. I usually change them on the table in my kitchen near the sink. So i always put everything from the tank on clean disposable plates. I never put anything directly on the table because i always afraid that my kitchen table can have residue from the dish wash soap. The reason i wrote it because one time i saw my coworker was cleaning the fish and put everything in the sink which just was washed with chemicals. I freaked out...
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #9 
DazedBetta

I do the same with paper towels haha thought I was the only one
DazedBetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning tank