Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #11 
ROSSELLA1

Okay, so here are the best pics I can get. The color looks better, but his fins look clamped.
Attached Images

ROSSELLA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:51 PM   #12 
Maura

Is that a whole bunch of poop on the bottom of the tank??
...You should probably clean that...The ammonia level is probably through the roof!
Maura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:55 PM   #13 
ROSSELLA1

No, that's just left over algae from feeding my snails. A speck or two might be poop, but most of it's just algae and I did a 50% water change just a few days ago.

Last edited by ROSSELLA1; 06-27-2012 at 11:55 PM. Reason: gramatically incorrect
Old 06-27-2012, 11:59 PM   #14 
Purple

Are these the dots you were talking about? Other than this, I really don't see any. If they are, that's definitely ich. (Note: I zoomed in with my Paint program. It was very hard to see otherwise.)

Increase the temperature to about 85F, but make sure to do it steadily. You don't want to shock your fish. DO NOT DISCONTINUE THE HEAT ONCE THE SPOTS GO AWAY. Ich parasites have a three-part life cycle, part of which you cannot see them. Keep the heat up for ten days, or 3 days after the spots go away. This is very important! Ich only die at temperatures that would kill your fish, but they cannot reproduce at a temperature above 85F. Daily 100% water changes are best, and make sure that you scrub the sides of the tank. (You don't have to go crazy with it, just make sure that there's no way that the parasites could be on the tank.) The scrubbing is only nessicary in the following 3-4 days after the parasites aren't visible.
Attached Images

Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:03 AM   #15 
ROSSELLA1

No. The spots are on the front fins (which are clamped and I can't get a good picture of) and the tail fin (can't get a picutre of unless he spreads it out a bit.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:05 AM   #16 
Purple

I'm pretty convinced that he's dehydrated after seeing his fins, so feed him with pellets that are soaked in tank water for a few minutes before you feed him. I'll look at the other pictures with zoom to see if I can see them. Which picture do you think shows the spots best? You might want to go ahead and do what I said to do for ich. It's better safe then sorry.
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:10 AM   #17 
ROSSELLA1

The top one shows one, midtail fin, but it's not very good. Thank you.

Last edited by ROSSELLA1; 06-28-2012 at 12:10 AM. Reason: forgot to say thank you
Old 06-28-2012, 12:14 AM   #18 
FishyFishy89

Dehydrated?

OP? what are your tank specs? Gallons? Water Temp? Filter? Water levels?
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:15 AM   #19 
Sakura8

Er, I don't think a critter who lives in water can get dehydrated but I could be wrong.

Sooooo . . . . looking at the pics, I see some clamped fins but I don't see the tell-tale spots of ick. Trust me, once you've seen ick you know it. Nasty gross stuff, it even gets on their eyeballs.

Fading color can be from a lot of things, not necessarily illness. He could be stressed, he could be getting old. I would say keep him in aquarium salt for one week at a dosage of 1 tsp per gallon. Change the water as often as you can but otherwise keep him in a quiet, dark place and let him relax. We can see how he is after that.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:24 AM   #20 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Er, I don't think a critter who lives in water can get dehydrated but I could be wrong.

Sooooo . . . . looking at the pics, I see some clamped fins but I don't see the tell-tale spots of ick. Trust me, once you've seen ick you know it. Nasty gross stuff, it even gets on their eyeballs.

Fading color can be from a lot of things, not necessarily illness. He could be stressed, he could be getting old. I would say keep him in aquarium salt for one week at a dosage of 1 tsp per gallon. Change the water as often as you can but otherwise keep him in a quiet, dark place and let him relax. We can see how he is after that.
This is the 1st thing I would do :)
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote