Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2012, 12:27 AM   #21 
Sakura8

Definitely no medication. Overmedicating can be just as bad as not medicating and in this case, I think AQ salt and some quiet will really help.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:30 AM   #22 
ROSSELLA1

I've got him in a 12 gallon tank, with a tetra whisper filter. It is for a 5 gallon tank, but I don't get paid until Saturday, Friday, if I'm lucky, so I can't buy a new one until then. Anyway, the spots on the front fins have been there ever since I got him 2-3 weeks ago and the ones on the tail fin just emerged a day or so ago. He's been in the tank for a litte over a week, so I don't think it's the filter. The color thing, clamped fins, and staying at the top of the tank only happened when I put him in the saltwater, so I'm not putting him back. Unless there's a sickness that would account for all three of those emerging in twenty-four hours with no change in mood/action to signal it.
Nitrate- between 0 and 20
Nitrite-0
Hardness 75
Chlorine 0
Alkalinity- 80
pH- 7. some other number
ROSSELLA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:31 AM   #23 
Purple

Sakura: He was put into water with salt in it. Salt is used because it draws out moisture. Just this could make them dehydrated. Fish don't drink water; they just take in whatever is in their food. It's very important to keep your fish hydrated. Liver failure = bad. Usually, fish gulp in a bit of water when they lunge for food. Also, a varied diet that includes brine shrimp, worms, etc. (frozen or living) helps with hydration since they naturally have water in them.

Now, might I direct your attention to the picture:
Yellow: I'm pretty sure this is what you were talking about.
Green: Might have been what you were talking about as well.
Light/Dark Blue/Green: This is the 3rd option, but they look like a streak of white on his fin or a reflection.
Brown: This is what I think I was pointing out earlier. I believe these are reflections of his scales.
Gray: A few tidbits. They didn't show up when I zoomed out, so I assume it's just odd pixels.
White: After looking closer, I'm pretty sure that this is just a reflection.

I'm pretty sure that what you're talking about is in fact ich. If any of these are what you're seeing, then it's probably the beginning stages of ich, and you should treat. DO NOT go out and buy medicine. Your fish just has it a little, and you don't want to use any unnecessary chemicals.

The reason most people can't see it by just looking at the picture is a. the picture doesn't have the very best quality, so you have to zoom in and b. they're not looking at the fish with your own eyes, so you don't know what to look for.

Edit: The spots on his front fins are probably just his coloring. My female has two white tips on her ventral fins. Even if he doesn't have ich, the treatment can't hurt. DO NOT put him back in saltwater!
Attached Images

Last edited by Purple; 06-28-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:34 AM   #24 
ROSSELLA1

The yellow one is the one I was talking about, the others are glares off his scales from the flashlight and specks on the outside of the aquarium. Thank you.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:37 AM   #25 
Purple

Yeah, I thought it was the yellow one. I was just going to circle every thing else just so I didn't have to go back to Paint again. :P
Old 06-28-2012, 02:21 AM   #26 
Sakura8

Aquarium salt isn't used to draw out moisture. It's used to stimulate the production of slime coat and to neutralize bacteria and parasites (Aquarium Care of Goldfish, David Boruchowitz; Aquarium Care of Bettas, David Boruchowitz). Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) is used to draw out excess fluids in bloated fish as well as to stimulate their digestive system.

Ich looks like little particles of salt scattered across the fish. They are slightly raised but only a little.

A clearer, close up picture would be required to properly diagnose ich but judging from the pictures, he has at the very most an extremely mild case. Ich is present at all times in our tanks and on our fish; it's only when fish become stressed and their immune system is compromised that the ich can take over.

EDIT:
Furthermore, a high heat treatment alone doesn't kill ich. Raising the heat speeds up the life cycle of the ich parasite but it doesn't kill it alone. The high heat treatment for ich is only effective when used in combination with 3 tsps of aquarium salt per gallon and daily water changes.

Again, I suggest you place him in 1 tsp of aquarium salt per gallon in a small hospital tank. There is no need to medicate or to treat for ich. Doing so will only stress the fish.

Last edited by Sakura8; 06-28-2012 at 02:24 AM.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:01 AM   #27 
ROSSELLA1

Thank you everyone! I woke up today and his fins are unclamped and he's swimming around!
Old 06-28-2012, 02:13 PM   #28 
Purple

That's wonderful! I'm glad he's feeling better.

Any kind of salt draws out moisture. Epsom salt it used for this purpose because it does so more than aquarium salt.

Any temperature raising speeds up the life cycle of the ich parasite. Although, at a temperature above 85F, they cannot reproduce.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #29 
ROSSELLA1

One thing I'll mention just in case, is that his tail fin seems shorter. the very end is twisted a bit and looks like it's stuck. I think he's just been chewing on it because of all the stuff that's happened to him in the last day or so, but I'm going to keep an eye on it and (if it gets worse or if I can get a good pic of it) I'll post a pic later.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #30 
FishyFishy89

The stress may have caused him to tail bite.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote