Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #1 
BeckyFish97

Conditioning confusion...

Really confused right now, when I first got gandalf, I fed him pellets, catfish/angelfish/discusfish/bettafish pellets, and he loved them, then I switched him onto microworms, bananaworms and walterworms, mixed in with live food from the fish shop (daphnia etc) and a few flies if I could get hold of them. He seemed to loose energy fast, like something was wrong with him.When I put him in with lily he refused to bubble, but now I have taken him out of the breeding tank and put him back to his original pellets, and he has started bubbling?I'm not sure how this can possibly work, I thought that I was supposed to feed him fatty foods, I noticed lily eats the pellets too in my community tank, and she loves them, she started getting fat on them the minute I started feeding her them, and she seems to be going the same way as gandalf when I put him on livefoods...help?
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

How much did you feed them? Maybe they weren't fed enough.

When conditioning, feed them until they rather bloat 2-3 times daily (I often feed them all they would eat, regardless what I feed).
indjo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Along with the food for pre-conditioning.....

When I condition my Bettas for breeding...its not just food that is involved.....

As Indjo posted-you want to feed a lot several times a day....

But when I condition-I will have my breeders in small separate containers so that they can't see any other fish-neither in the spawning tank.
I mass feed live foods and/or my homemade food several times a day-I then allow the selected pair to see each other at least once a day.
I may or may not clean their containers during this time and like to keep them in a bit cooler water than the spawning tank.
I keep the lights on them for 12h a day

Sometimes I will place or float the male in a tank with other males so that they can flare/fight through the partition-this is to get the male excited and for some exercise. Especially if the male is a bit on the lazy side or doesn't seem interested.
If the female doesn't seem interested-I will float her in the tank too once a day.

Since I keep my Bettas in breeding condition all the time-I usually will only do this or keep them isolated for 4-5 days before I release them in the spawning tank....Usually once I release them I will have spawning within an hour to no longer than first light the next day.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #4 
BeckyFish97

Indjo: Once in the morning once at noon and once at night
Gandalf couldn't see anyone else at all apart from once a day he saw pineapple for a minute to try and prompt him to bubblenest to show dominance, lily was in my community tank with two other girls, jade and indigo, I conditioned for two weeks solid, and he just flatly refused to bubblenest yet as soon as I put him back onto pellets he began to build, I believe blimp fed him live foods the whole time that gandalf was with him, could it be that to gandalf this new food is not what he usually gets and it fattened him up and prompted him to build his nest?I know its a little far fetched...

Also lily was floated in gandalfs tank once a day every day :)
Old 06-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

I'm assuming this betta is an adult. Foods like microworms, bananaworms and walterworms are way too small for adult bettas and aren't going to provide much in the way of nutrition.

When I condition my fish I use frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, live blackworms (rinsed well) and live brine shrimp. Blackworms especially seem to get my bettas and other species of fish in the mood and I will usually see spawning activity in my wilds and killies after a good feed.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:06 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

I don't wait on a nest....some males won't make a nest until they have eggs in their mouth.....I had a male that wouldn't spawn with the lights on....but once I turned them off he would get busy...must have been shy....lol.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #7 
BeckyFish97

Ok, I've heard the freeze dried stuff isnt good for them, what about live bloodworms?I heard something about having to cut them up...so that they cant do internal damage?
OldFishLady: I tried that method too, I've done everything possible to get the fish to spawn but all my fish are either wimps or bullies...I put gandalf in with lily, he tries to kill her, I put gandalf in with jade, gandalf hides and jade chases him, also it seems anyone I put with jade just legs it!Hardly surprising with how...keen she is :P Indigo got extremely violent when I tried her with pineapple...a change from her being a wimp in the main tank...I have a thunderstorm due here in about 30minutes, and I heard that stimulates their "natural reflexes" I'll give it one last go and then I'll go into major conditioning if it doesnt work out, thanks guys for the info, I never thought about the size of the food I was feeding them...
Old 06-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #8 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Not freeze dried only frozen. You may have to cut a piece off - only the amount you need to feed your bettas. NEVER thaw and re-freeze. This is what I mainly feed mine 2-3 times daily all they would eat for males and a bit bloated for females (my females are too fat as it is). Live bloodworms are better but you can't stock them.

I don't look for bubble nests either. I look at the way they swim - they should flirt swim (both male and female). If you immediately release, the female may be beaten a bit more - the reason why I stack live plants in 1 half of the breeding tank. First time breeders usually take 2-3 days before they embrace. So you could float your female for a day or two before releasing.
indjo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #9 
BeckyFish97

I stock them easily for a week, I have a mini fridge specifically for them so I think I will get some in, they've not been available for a little while because there was some dispute about the quality and health etc, but now they switched to a different supplier, also I have this awesome kit on order:

Sorry it is similar to this one, but it is a mixed bloodworm/daphnia kit rather than just the bloodworms!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TUBIFEX-CU...76326801979491

I tried floating her I tried releasing her straight off after that (dont worry there were 5 massive plants in there) but nuthin doin!
Old 06-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #10 
jeffegg2

Cool

Tubifex is not bloodworms. They are different animals.

Here in the usa we can easily buy frozen bloodworms or frozen brine shrimp.

I have never used tubifex, perhaps some here have??

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote