Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #1 
wah543

Side Fin Tear?

I noticed on one of my Bettas one of her side "ear" fins has like a tear or something in it, the way she swims hasn't changed at all, but I was wondering is this a problem and how long will it take to grow back?
wah543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:43 AM   #2 
Kbear93

Dear wah543,
The healing of your betta's fin should not take more than a week or two. Be sure to keep the water clean and between 77-83 degrees fahrenheit. Frequent water changes will keep the tear from getting infected. Be sure to take out any sharp plants or tank decorations that may have harmed your betta.
Kbear93
Kbear93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:00 AM   #3 
Purple

What she said^ :P

Make sure that you don't have any sharp objects in the tank. Remember: ONLY silk and live plants can be used in a betta tank! Nets should feel like a sports jersey and have small holes. Also, it helps if your scoop your betta using the "outside" of the net. The seam should not touch your betta.
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #4 
wah543

I got a "Betta Plant" from petco its a fake plant but it has like a plastic tip would that be able to hurt her? the net I got is from there too I think it works good but should I change the water more often than usual while the tear is there?
wah543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #5 
Canuck Fins

If the plastic tip is hard, it can tear fins. Pet stores sometimes have things that are labelled inappropriately (like the 1/2 gallon betta bowls).

Clean water is definitely more important when you want them to heal a torn fin. You don't necessarily need to do more water changes if you have been following a proper schedule up to now.

As well, if you haven't, try giving your fish frozen bloodworms for one feeding during the week. The extra protein is good for them, especially when healing fins.

Good luck! :)
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:42 PM   #6 
DazedBetta

Just try and keep her clean to prevent infection and be wary getting things from petsmart or petco they like to sell dangerous Betta items.
DazedBetta is offline   Reply With Quote