Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #1 
Purple

Jump-Safe Tank?

I have a 2.5 gallon glass bowl that didn't come with a lid. My fish is elderly and I doubt he would jump, but I want the peace of mind of knowing he can't escape. How far can they jump and how much lower from the top can I keep the water level? The bowl is only half full now because I'm nervous about this. I doubt he could jump that far, but I don't know for sure and it's better to be safe then sorry.

Also, I have a towel that covers the back half of the tank. I originally put it there because I was afraid he would jump, but he seems to like it and he has calmed down a lot since I put it there. Is there any reason that it could be bad? (I know it's a stupid question; I'm a paranoid fish mommy.)
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #2 
bettaboytroy

Not sure how far they can jump but I had one jump out with about a 2 inch clearance. You could always just set a piece of screen or the like on top of the bowl. It has not been too common for me to have them jump just the one time.
bettaboytroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:11 PM   #3 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hi I know just how you feel I am one too...lol First off I am not sure how high they can jump but I am sure someone will come along that does. I have read that you can take saran wrap and place of the top and make some holes in it for air. I bet he likes the towel cause he can kinda feel like he is hiding under it maybe till he gets used to his new home. Does he have any decorations or plants ? There is something called a Betta Hammock that is a good one to have, they like to rest and sleep on them and it has a suction cup and you just place it in the bowl a few inches from the top. Oh any small plant with big leaves they can hide under is good. Of your bowl is big enough a cave he can hide in would be nice. Those things just make them feel more secure. Good luck with your little guy and welcome to the forum !
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #4 
Aurie

I was told the Betta hammock has a metal piece.. watch for that. Mine like the Betta logs. I would suggest topping the tank with some screen door material or something similar and its flexable and you can trim it down to size

Last edited by Aurie; 06-27-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #5 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I have read that too and checked mine over and its okay seems to be a plastic stem or the wire might be inside the stem but if so its hidden good. I plan to just keep a close eye on mine and check it out now and then. I have the floating Betta Log to and Perseus loves it. Also Purple any thing you do put in his bowl be sure it isnt anything to rough like something that would put a snag in pantyhose would not be good cause of their fins it could tear them.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #6 
Meggie6347

I had one that jumped out of his tank that I never thought would and I found him too late...I wouldn't risk it even if you think he won't or can't...I'm not sure what it's called but I have that rubbery kitchen netting over mine if you know what I'm talking about and it works great...and mine is black so it isn't obnoxious or bad looking :)
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #7 
Purple

Oh, another question: he has rocks in the bottom of his tank that he likes to burrow in. They're about his size and not particularly heavy. Should I take the rocks out? I'm going to try to get him a cave that he can hide in. I've watched him swim out of his little holes multiple times. The rocks naturally make small holes between them because they're all different shapes and sizes. He can usually turn around in the holes. I attached pictures and a video.
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #8 
dbooknook

Oh....my fish did that, too. He nearly died after one incident! I recommend you take them out and replace it with gravel.
dbooknook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:12 PM   #9 
Purple

Gravel is sketchy... My sister's fish, Otis, used to have gravel in his tank. We had to literally give him a 100% water change every 3 hours or we couldn't see him in the tank. Once we took them out, his tank stayed clean.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:23 PM   #10 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Yeah those look nice but I would take them out...is your bowl big enough to put a small cup in that would be good he could go in there. If you use a cup please be sure and rinse it out many times in case there is soap on it, soap can kill a fish so be careful and rinse rinse rinse and rinse again to be safe !!!!!! If you use gravel just let in soak awhile and keep changing the water till it runs clear. I have seen lots of people use marbles, I have flat bottom kind they are nice too . He is a very pretty boy !