Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2012, 11:23 PM   #11 
LittleBettaFish

Persephone like dark water but I haven't been able to change it as often as the others. The male was guarding his nest and even now when 99% are free-swimming he is obsessed with moving everyone around everywhere. I got my IAL off Dave and because they are so potent, it's gone really dark.

Wilds really aren't that difficult. Not even macrostoma. But they are fairly pricey so you don't want them keeling over or jumping out.

I've got half a dozen strohi juvies growing out (think a couple males at this point/maybe females as well) if you want to buy a couple of them anytime cheap. They are super nice looking fish when coloured up and grow to around 7cm in length. Parents were bred by a top wild breeder in Indonesia.

Since their parents were captive bred and they have been aquarium raised they are friendly, eat anything I put in there and are hardy as heck. I don't want them and only raised them because they were an 'oops' batch I found after the parents were sold.

It's hard to find good quality imbellis. Most (I had some) are poorly coloured and pretty drab. I've always found the bubblenesters (smaragdina, imbellis etc.) pretty boring but then my tastes run more to the smaller blackwater species such as persephone.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:36 AM   #12 
Aus

Quote:
I've got half a dozen strohi juvies growing out (think a couple males at this point/maybe females as well) if you want to buy a couple of them anytime cheap.

I thought they'd be up there on the 'hard to keep' list. I would -love- some. I should have a pretty good tank set up for them, too, pretty shortly. Need their preferences, though.. /research
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:20 AM   #13 
LittleBettaFish

Well they were raised and still live in a 45cm barebottom tank with some PVC pipe tunnels, a handful of moss, some broken IAL and a piece of wood. Anything over that would be a bonus haha.

I had mum and dad in a 30cm cube with the same set-up but some substrate and they did fine. They spawned all the time but because it was small (it was supposed to be temporary but I sold them) mum used to harass dad a bit and make him swallow.

If your water is as soft as mine is, all they need is tap water. You've seen what my wild set-ups look like and everyone has basically the same kind of deal. I do 25% water changes on my wild tanks every second day as none of my tanks are cycled due to pH. Of my current set-ups all tanks with male/female pairs have either spawned or have fry so they aren't that high-maintenance.

I feed a mix of live/frozen as well as NLS pellets for those who will take them.

Wilds don't seem to grow as fast as splendens so at the moment the biggest are both around the size of a small female splenden and the others are smaller again. But they are old enough now to not keel over when I pour my water straight into their tank.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #14 
bettalover462

these tanks are sickk
bettalover462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:19 PM   #15 
teeneythebetta

Hey... Psssttt. I have an idea. You wanna switch bedrooms? You get my room, I get your room. Deal? you can have my sorority and I can have all of those bettas
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #16 
konstargirl

How aweosme!
konstargirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:38 AM   #17 
thekoimaiden

I thought my bed/fish room was bad! I've just got 4 tanks and am planning to move a 5th in there. I can't imagine having that many tanks in my bedroom. The industrial strength shelving is a good idea. I'm going to have to start stacking tanks, too.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #18 
Aus

LBF - I'm up to my neck in tanks and filters/pumps I don't know how to use, etc.. let me get a tank sorted out (and not with an upside down pump) and I would be happy to buy them. I'll pm you when I have it set up, if that's okay?
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #19 
lelei

Wow..is that waht mine will look like in a couple years..prob all of us..WE are so Hooked..lol..(no pun intended) but I would love it..except for all the wires, running everywhere, and the Electric bill going thru the roof..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #20 
ao
TFK Moderator

I might be helping to set up, plant and stock a 55gal soon. If you have any extras of anything ( plants, fish)when that happens, would you sell some to me?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote