Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #1 
Bettafever21

Question Do females enjoy being with other females ?

I need some people who have experience with female sorority tanks, i have a 10 gallon with lots of plants, heated to 78-82 deg, cycled filtered, and 2-3 hiding places (will probably end up getting a few more if i decide to go through with this) tank with 1 female beta and 2 otoclincus algae eaters, ive been thinking about making a sorority tank (ever since ive removed my males to a half split 5 gallon tank) to add some friends for my female betta fish. My questions.

from observing or watching your tank if you can come to some sort of conclusion to where they are happier with other females?!?!

where they at times social/ or some what playful/ did they enjoy each other company?

thank you for your time to read my thread thank you, a reply would be greatly appreciated :)
Bettafever21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #2 
Bettafever21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafever21 View Post
I need some people who have experience with female sorority tanks, i have a 10 gallon with lots of plants, heated to 78-82 deg, cycled filtered, and 2-3 hiding places (will probably end up getting a few more if i decide to go through with this) tank with 1 female beta and 2 otoclincus algae eaters, ive been thinking about making a sorority tank (ever since ive removed my males to a half split 5 gallon tank) to add some friends for my female betta fish. My questions.

from observing or watching your tank if you can come to some sort of conclusion to where they are happier with other females?!?!

where they at times social/ or some what playful/ did they enjoy each other company?

thank you for your time to read my thread thank you, a reply would be greatly appreciated :)
i plan on buying 4 + the one i have making it 5 in a 10 gal along with my 2 oto's :)

Last edited by Bettafever21; 06-27-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #3 
Tikibirds

It's a gamble with female betta tanks. I have had about 20 in a female tank setting and only 1 was too aggressive to be placed in a group setting. (no, not 20 at once..a total of 20 different females in the past year). I originally had 6 in a 10g, then upgraded to a 20G and had about 11 females. Now I have 4 in a 20G. When the tank finished the cycle, I may add a few more.

I am not sure if they LIKE being with other females as they seem to be very territorial and can be just as agressive as males, but they seem to tolerate each other as long as you have a massive amount of decor in the tank.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:43 PM   #4 
teeneythebetta

I can't really speak for the fish and say they LIKE living together, but many do accept it. Some females are individually aggressive and cannot live in a sorority setting.

I have 4 in my 10 gallon tank. They have been together for 2 days, still in the nipping/chasing stage but it should wear off eventually. It's sad to see little bits off of their fins in the beginning. :(
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:46 PM   #5 
FrostSinth

I have 8 females in a sorority, and they seem fine. They flare at each other a lot, and nip a bit, but otherwise are fine. I'm pretty sure they'd rather be in their own territory, but at the same time having the other females keeps them active and entertained. At feeding time they all gather at the top without aggression and hang around till I feed them. They seem to enjoy testing their strength/size by just constantly flaring at each other. By having 8 the aggression has definitely lessened than when I had just 4. Now they mostly stay out of each others' way.
FrostSinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #6 
xShainax

Um...It depends on the personality I think
xShainax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #7 
BeckyFish97

Interesting question, I have 3 in a community tank, that are fine with each other, they had their spats but things worked out with a little jiggleing!I can't say they "like" it because I'm not the fish in this situation, but they do seem to accept it!Some are just not cut out for sorority life, some are too weak, or too strong, the only way you can find out is to try it, it may take a while for them to establish a pecking order, but bare with them, they will get there! Also make sure they're all females, I got 2 females and a male and only found out 2 months in, pineapple has his own tank now! :)
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:37 AM   #8 
Bettafever21

Thank you for your time and feed reading about your experiences has helped me decide if i want to go through with it and if it keeps them active and entertained having a sorority seems to be worth the trouble of the first 2-4 days of establishing order. cant wait to go buy some decore and pick out my new females :)
Old 07-02-2012, 04:45 AM   #9 
BeckyFish97

One other thing I forgot to add, be very careful when adding in new fish, try not to mess with your girls too much, the slightest bit of stress seems to cause world war 3 :P
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:20 AM   #10 
teeneythebetta

Don't forget to quarantine them for at least 1 week. I know it sucks waiting, but it's worth it so no illness/disease breaks out and leaves all the fish dead. :( three of the girls I bought came from the same shipment at persmart, they all had dropsy and died in quarantine.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote