Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #11 
Blake My First

I tried the Hagen Elite Mini Filter on my one tank, the 5g with 4g filled water, and it's blowing Clayton everywhere. Poor fish. =(

I don't know I'm scared to put filters in there, it's making the boys uncomfortable.

Are there other low flow filters? If not should I just get a sponge filter? (is that just an air pump and sponge media?)
Blake My First is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #12 
kfish

Your 10g isn't -completely- cycled, but it sounds like it needs a water change badly! It's almost there, though.

Blue Fish, that would work to get it started more quickly without you having to worry about hurting your fish. You'd still have to watch it once you move it to the tank so the bacteria can grow to the proper levels for your fish, if necessary. That's always the case for a fishless cycle, however, and the transition should be relatively seamless. The water doesn't hold bacteria. Substrate and filter do.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #13 
kfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake My First View Post
I tried the Hagen Elite Mini Filter on my one tank, the 5g with 4g filled water, and it's blowing Clayton everywhere. Poor fish. =(

I don't know I'm scared to put filters in there, it's making the boys uncomfortable.

Are there other low flow filters? If not should I just get a sponge filter? (is that just an air pump and sponge media?)
eeeee that's a weird looking filter. Is there any way to block it? Push it up near a wall or something? Rubberband foam completely around it? Both? Don't fear waterfall filters! You can baffle them so well that they produce no current, even if your fish sits under it.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #14 
Blake My First

I did adjust the flow, I had the mini filter on max that's why it's too strong. Still even with lowest flow Clayton is being push and pull in many directions.

I'm not using that filter again. Waterfall or sponge filter will be my next try. Thanks! :)

What do you mean by rubberband foam?
Old 06-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #15 
kfish

Filter foam:

Old 06-28-2012, 03:16 PM   #16 
Blake My First

Ok thanks kfish!
Old 06-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #17 
kfish

You can get a box of Fluval filter foam for like $2 at Petsmart. It'll work for baffling any waterfall filter, and you can probably get that Hagen filter weaker with it.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #18 
Tikibirds

You don't have to filter the 5 gallon if you don't want too. Mine is a marineland hex and came with a penguin filter but I never used it. It got busted when I moved anyways. The only thing I have left is the actual tank with a CT in it. I only bother filtering the 20G and 10G. I don't have enough outlets to give every small tank a filter.

If you want to cycle it and you get a filter like aquenon quiet flow - you can baffle the outflow by getting foam made for the aquaclear filter and stuffing it in where the filter cartridge is supposed to go. With that kind of filter, you can get away with just using the aquaclear foam instead of the cartridges they sell for it. The foam will do the mechanical filtration and the biological filtration. Plus it will slow down the water flow. I also have some where the water comes out of the filter as well. Not to mention its much cheaper then the actual cartridges. Instead of replacing, just swish them around in old tank water.

The one made for the 30-50 gallon is almost a perfect fir for the aqueon quietflow 10 filter :D

Oh, and I also put some tall, leafy plants near the filter to slow the current down even more.

or you can go with a sponge filter. Some air pumps allow you to connect 2 airline hoses so you can filter two tanks with one pump.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 06-28-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:26 AM   #19 
Hallyx
Reference Team

This is a very important thread!

It may no longer be necessary to choose between fishless cycling and fish-in. Bluefish inserted the last piece of a puzzle that many of us have been working on the last month or so.

Cycle the filter in a bucket, then just put it in the show tank. It will start eating ammonia instantly (I've done this) and will grow and distribute more bacteria to colonise the rest of the tank. Couldn't be easier. This is the only recommendation I will make from now on.

However, this technique does rely on having sufficient filter foam to house the bacteria.

To address Blake's concern with his Elite mini. I use that mini in my 5gal tanks. It's major limitation is it only has a small piece of foam in the filter chamber. That's the limitation of most filters, and the reason that overly-large filters are sometimes used, filters which blow your Betta around.

I got a piece of 1/2 inch thick filter foam, 4 inches by 8 inches, rolled it into a tube and sewed it up; sewed up the far end too. This fits right over the outlet nozzle and cuts the current to nearly nothing, even while allowing sufficient flow to support the nitrifying bacteria.

That 16 square inches of foam is also the most important reservoir of the bacteria. Combined with the 2 sq in in the filter and, perhaps another couple of sq in under the intake....that's a regular bacteria mansion.

I am about to sell my sponge filters. They do have enough foam to support a stable cycle, but:
--They ripple the water surface, making it uninviting for bubble-nest building.
--They raise my pH excessively (this can also be said for HOB/waterfall filters), which means I have to perform two smaller water changes back-to-back to avoid pH shock.
--It's bad for the plants.
--I find that low humming drone extremely loud and annoying.

Last edited by Hallyx; 06-29-2012 at 02:31 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:31 PM   #20 
Blue Fish

I haven't started the bucket cycling yet, but I plan to in the next couple of days. I'll be happy to post up here about the results if it would help?

I'm totally excited to be able to cycle my tanks without my boys being stressed...that will be so wonderful. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote