Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2012, 03:16 AM   #21 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I would very much like to see the log of your bucket cycle.

Would you be so kind as to post it here, as well?

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...e-logs-104242/
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #22 
Blue Fish

No problem, will certainly do it. Going to wal-mart tonight to pick up a good sized rubbermaid container that hasn't had horse feed or dog food in it... ;)

Thanks so much for the thread and the information on this topic. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #23 
Blake My First

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Fish View Post
No problem, will certainly do it. Going to wal-mart tonight to pick up a good sized rubbermaid container that hasn't had horse feed or dog food in it... ;)

Thanks so much for the thread and the information on this topic. :)
It's been a few days, how's the cycling going? :)
Blake My First is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:47 PM   #24 
Blake My First

So I started recording pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate with the API freshwater master kit that I got from amazon.

I've been doing for four days now, after I changed their water on Friday.

Tank: 5g, 3g filled. Resident: 1 VT betta
Last Water Change 06/29/2012 6:45pm

06/30/2012 12:30pm
pH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm

07/01/2012 12:30pm
pH: 8.0/8.2
Temp: 82F

07/02/2012 1:00pm
Temp: 83F

07/03/2012 12:30pm
Temp: 82F

I don't understand, shouldn't the ammonia level rise? It's the same color for the past 3 days. I don't expect the nitrite and nitrate level to change because it's an unfiltered tank, but I tested them anyway. Don't know how important pH is but I will be testing the pH of the new water to make sure not to shock the boy.

I feed them 2x 2 pellets = 4 pellets a day. No uneaten food, all waster removed via turkey baster.

Anyone care to explain why the NH3 level hasn't changed? or something wrong with the test.:/
I am changing the water on Friday again, 95-100%.

Last edited by Blake My First; 07-03-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:00 PM   #25 
kfish

Since you're removing all the solid waste I can still see the ammonia level being so low still. The plants also use some of it up.

Just noticed your Supernatural fish names. ;) I've been watching a lot of that lately, haha. I stopped watching real-time after season 5, but I watched 6 yesterday and started 7 today. Noooottt a fan of what they did to Castiel. >_<
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:16 PM   #26 
Blake My First

Thanks for some input :) yea I hope that is true then my boys are not suffer from ammonia, I really wish I could cycle the tank right now with sponge filters but I've been spending too much lately on pet supplies.

I made sure to test the water at the bottom of the tank to make sure it's good and also that with no filter to turn and circulate that the toxicity is mostly settling down at the bottom.

Haha I love watching supernatural. Destiel = love lol. Kinda want to name my future betta Dean. Don't be hard Castiel might come back ;) and oh I don't watch real time anymore since we have google and blog sites. Now on Netflix season 1-6 :)

My Castiel is like a dog. He sniffs around at the tank bottom for food lol and I know he doesn't a sense of smell but it's funny. His ragged crowntail made me see him as a cute "water" dog.

Clayton bit me today while I fed him, funny thing is the pellet dropped right down to the bottom and he didn't get it. More turkey vaster for me to do. :/

I'm waiting to get white and yellow CT bettas one day. I have their names ready: Gabriel and Uriel.

Very nice avatar pic. Nice shade of color on a betta.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:06 AM   #27 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Betta have a very good sense of smell. They can tell food from poo from gravel, and they can smell pheromones from the opposite sex from quite a distance.

Blake, you're never going to cycle that tank without a filter. The bacteria need somewhere to live and they need flow to bring them food (ammonia) constantly.

Betta are pretty clean fish (compared to, say, Goldfish), and you're spot-cleaning the tank, which is good and I recommend you keep doing it. So I'm not surprised your ammonia i barely rising.

Get your Elite mini, add some foam like I did, open the air tube all the way, stick it in a bucket and try to find some live bacteria to put in there to seed your cycle.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:20 AM   #28 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Betta have a very good sense of smell. They can tell food from poo from gravel, and they can smell pheromones from the opposite sex from quite a distance.

Blake, you're never going to cycle that tank without a filter. The bacteria need somewhere to live and they need flow to bring them food (ammonia) constantly.

Betta are pretty clean fish (compared to, say, Goldfish), and you're spot-cleaning the tank, which is good and I recommend you keep doing it. So I'm not surprised your ammonia i barely rising.

Get your Elite mini, add some foam like I did, open the air tube all the way, stick it in a bucket and try to find some live bacteria to put in there to seed your cycle.
how long would the cycle in the bucket take? and how often would I have to add fish food? And what do I do about my betta in his tank without his filter while it's in the bucket?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:47 AM   #29 
Blue Fish

Okay, so it took a bit longer than anticipated to start the bucket cycling. I started it in my bathroom at first...but two days in it stank so badly of ammonia that my entire upstairs reeked...and the bucket had to be dumped and moved to my garage. Plus...I'm a Radiographer, and I work on an on-call basis at a local hospital...and it got crazy there for a bit with working, so I didn't have time to purchase the bucket or to start the cycle as soon as I'd planned.

As of right now, it's been about three days since I started it, ammonia is at 8.0ppm (which is probably overkill, but I wanted those little bacteria to be *well fed* when they finally started growing in there!) and I've got airstones running in addition to the filters in hopes of creating more oxygen to, again, assist in breeding the bacteria I need. It's HOT in my garage, which, I'd think, would again assist in the bacterial breeding.

All water has been treated to eliminate bacteria-destrying chlorine/tap water additives, and so far no readings on nitrate or nitrite, just crazy high ammonia and a gosh-awful stink in that brown, brown water. ;) Will keep posted once readings start changing. :)
Old 07-06-2012, 02:53 AM   #30 
Blue Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
how long would the cycle in the bucket take? and how often would I have to add fish food? And what do I do about my betta in his tank without his filter while it's in the bucket?
- I know a regular cycle can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 8 weeks, so far the bucket cycle hasn't changed much in about three days, but I'm hoping that it'll be a quicker since I can have crazy high readings and extra oxygenation without fish in there.

- I've only added fish food once, 1 tbsp of tropical fish flakes, 1 tbsp goldfish flakes, and 1/2 tbsp of horrible betta pellets that are huge and no-one will eat. (all of this food is old and I just need to get rid of it)

- I know you need to keep your ammonia levels at at least 3ppm at all times, so if it starts to dip, then you need to add more fish food.

- Your tank betta is fine without the filter if you keep up with his water changes. Mine have been living in tanks without filters for months now, and I just change their water frequently to make sure that ammonia levels stay below 0.25 ppm, or at least once per week, whichever comes first depending on your tank size. (mine are 1 fish per 10 gallons)

I'll keep posting up as the filters progress on the thread Halyx has listed above, check there for further details, or you can feel free to message me as well. :) I'm usually on here just about every day, so I'll respond quickly for you. :)