Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2012, 11:21 PM   #1 
Alcemistnv

Buddha's Journal

So, I decided to keep a journal of Buddha and his everyday life.
It might change as I get more bettas, but for now, it is just for Buddha.

Starting Date is June 27th
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:41 PM   #2 
Alcemistnv

First Entry

Date: June 27th
Time with him: 5 months!

Woke up, and this is what I saw

No fishie!!! D8

Then, I found out he was actually hiding in the very back of the tank, under the grass and marbles.

Today is his 5 month anniversary of living with me, and so far he's doing wonderful. I rewarded him with a mirror that I found, and he enjoyed it very much. He didn't attack the reflection, but instead just glided against it.
I didn't feed him today, which I feel bad for, but he needs some fasting. He's getting pudgy xD

I cleaned his tank tonight and gave him a lamp, so now he can see around the room. My room gets PITCH black around 8/9 because there are no neighborhood lights to illuminate the room. The baby lamp I have is the only source of light that doesn't drastically light up the room.

I noticed that he has weird sleeping habits. As soon as I put the tank back on its shelf, he was instantly in the grass, sleeping. I swore he was dead, but after a tap on the tank, he was wide awake.

I'm going to check on him in a few minutes, but I believe I have a strong little fish and can't wait to celebrate my first year anniversary with him! :D
Old 06-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #3 
Alcemistnv

June 28th- Got Buddha a bamboo plant!
I made sure that the bottom was cleaned from any and all diirt, and then I rinsed the top off as well to be sure. It's very tall, so the plant itself is just sticking out of the tank awkwardly haha
Old 07-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #4 
Alcemistnv

July 4th
Time with him: 5 months and 1 week!

HAPPY FOURTH!!!

So, Buddha learned how to swim through a hoop 3 days ago. I bribed him with bloodworms (very small pieces), and he learned rather quickly. I remove the hoop to prevent him from swmming through with no reward.

I currently have around $59 saved, which is more than enough for a tank. However, I'm waiting until August to get the new tank. My dad gave me the okay for a new betta, but its going to be when I move back in to my dorm.

I don't know whether to get a half moon, or a plakat. Or even a double tail (I love those as well!) IF anyone can give me the pros and cons of each, I'd really appreciate it! :D

Well, there isn't much other new news to say, other than Buddha is in love with his bamboo. I often find him swimming in circles around it or blowing bubbles and placing them next to it.

So, I think I did the right thing with the bamboo! :D

Until next time!
Old 07-09-2012, 10:39 PM   #5 
TigerRegalia

Keep posting! I love reading this. :)))
TigerRegalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #6 
Alcemistnv

((Thanks! :D))

July 10th
time with him: 5 months 1 week 6 days

The bamboo has a name, just for funzies, and it got trimmed too so it doesn't stick out too drastically.

Buddhha is getting a little pudgy, so I need to fast him, but I always feel bad not feeding him. He also surprised me with a new "trick." Whenever I enter the room, or say "fishy," he swims to the front of the tank, his fins wiggling in excitement. Makes me happy to know that he likes seeing me come into the room. The hoop training is also going very well. I'm now moving it around the tank and he follows it, and then swims through it. And of course, he still gets rewarded!

Sometimes I wonder how long Buddha will live with me. It seems like I see a lot of people who have had their bettas for a few months (the boy at the pet store I gt Buddha from only had his for a month), and I'm afraid of ever finding Buddha dead in the tank. I get so scared whenever I see him changing color or seeing his behavior change, only for it to be better the next day. I guess it's part of the job of being a betta mama :D

Fun fact: Buddha has orange eyes. They're one of my favorite parts of him :3
Old 07-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #7 
lelei

Wow..that is soo beautiful..I want to do the same for both my fishy's ..Starting with my first..but yea, keep those posts coming..very interesting indeed, and so much fun to read..I would love to see a pic, with those eyes, in your avi, a lil to dark to tell..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

Really, orange eyes? Mine has brown... Oh, and PKs need more room to swim. Lucky! You get another Betta...
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #9 
Alcemistnv

thanks lelei ^^

Here is an image ( alittle blurry though, but they're definitely orange). I can't get a good enough picture of his eyes because he never wants to sit still, but I will try! :D

And Lebron, I had to BEG my parents haha
Plus, I'm going into sophomore year of college, so they realized by now that if they won't let me have it at home, I'll have it in school. I already have about $60 saved for the fish xD

Do you think 5 gallons is enough for a plakat, or a half moon? :3
Old 07-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #10 
LebronTheBetta

5 Gallons is good. :3 Since they have short fins, they swim faster which means needs more room. A Halfmoon is good, too. Be careful with those fins! :) Post a pic here when it's set up in your school! You're going to College? I'm not in High School yet! >.<
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote