Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #1 
PaintingPintos

Anyone have snakes?

I can't have them, even though I love them.....my mom absolutely detests them. But today I went to the creek with my cousin, and the first thing we found was a hatchling Northern Water Snake....I must admit that it's beautiful. I'm afraid to touch it because I happen to be allergic to everything (they may be non-venomous, but just getting the saliva in my bloodstream might make me pass out) but I put it in a 10 gallon tank with half pebbles/gravel, and half water. There's a terra cotta pot in there so the snake can hide if he wants to. I'm letting it go tomorrow because my mom is terrified of it (even though it's outside)....It's sad to let it go, but it's probably pretty stressed from bringing it home today. I nicknamed him Flicky, by the way. I don't have photos because I accidentally deleted them because I have no idea how to use my camera ;___;

And if you would like to share your pet snakes (or temporary snakes) with me, especially photos, I'd much appreciate it :)
It will also help me choose a future pet snake for when I'm out of highschool and college ;D
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:09 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Here is our new one. Our roomie wanted to "co-own" them all and we put our feet down >:( NO CO-OWNING. grrr. Anywho, she's got an EXOTERRA, a very very good brand. She WILL have a heat lamp - despite the fact my roomie also said they "don't need one"... They can use one. A source of water is always a good idea, and depending on the snake size... Carmen is a baby baby... she gets a pinky a week. Eventually she can get fuzzies, then hoppers =D

She is a butter corn snake, born late last year. She LOVES to hide, and is very much a hudini. We find her hiding under her water bowl, in the crevace... ><
Attached Images

Sena Hansler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:11 AM   #3 
lvandert

I have a young corn snake as well. I love my little Ekans, he's getting really good at NOT striking at hands. He'll go into the "s" position to strike but then I just pick him up. If he doesn't bit I put him back down shortly after. If he does he gets held for 5 minutes lol. But he hasn't actually struck me in a few months. Besides he's just a tiny guy, all you feel is this little bump lol
Attached Images

lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:19 AM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Haha Carmen isn't too bad either. She came from a couple who were breeding, and we weren't supposed to get her (the boyfriend...er...ex...was a butt-wad and took HER snakes!) except Carmen squeezed herself behind the background I told Vici I had Carmen and she was thrilled LOL! She's friendly, at least. Was a little shy.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #5 
starrlamia

I had a ball python for a while, very easy to care for and very docile. She went to live with a friend though
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #6 
PaintingPintos

Awww
Gorgeous snakes..... I always wanted a corn snake. They're the smallest of normal pet snakes, right?
And I agree.....co-owning stinks. Who would do that? Haha if someone wanted to co-own my fish or my budgies or my starlings I'd smack them xD
Old 06-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #7 
lvandert

I think ribbon snakes are a bit smaller, if only just.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:56 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

Cornsnkaes stay decently sized. My roomie has a ball python, and he'll be thicker... And he wants a boa who'll be MASSIVE!!
Old 06-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #9 
PaintingPintos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Cornsnkaes stay decently sized. My roomie has a ball python, and he'll be thicker... And he wants a boa who'll be MASSIVE!!
EEP! I'm only afraid of boas, though only when they're unsupervised. I don't know if it's true or not, but apparently a woman my mom knows had a pet boa that was around 5-6 feet long. She let it sleep in her bed at night, and eventually she noticed that it would stretch to its full length next to her at night. She asked her vet about it, and they said that the boa was measuring how long its body was compared to her so it could eat her.
Creepy story nonetheless
Old 06-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #10 
copperarabian

Boa's don't get that big compared to the large pythons. And very few pythons can eat a adult human but they can still kill you.

I recently go a pastel ball python I named Daenerys. She's a year old and is a proven female, she's really cute but very head shy still.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote