Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2012, 10:59 PM   #1 
LizzyP

Betta bruise?

I did a 100% water change today complete with water conditioner, acclimated fish, put fish in new tank, fish was happy, he had an early dinner and I went out.

I came home and sat down next to my tank to say hi & check the water temperature and I noticed a dark spot on the side of him. It could have been there all along and I just overlooked it, or it just appeared. I don't really know. I do have pictures, but I'll explain a little bit. They are on his left side behind his fin. However, he does have a dark (almost black) head, so I don't know if this is just his color, or if he somehow got a bruise. Is that even possible? He is swimming fine, begging for food, no labored breathing, no peculiar behavior.

Close up, kinda blurry but you can see the dark spot.

Far away, but clearer. He is bringing out his color as he was a Walmart fish and spend God only knows how long he was in his little cup without a proper water change. Any suggestions?
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #2 
Tazo

It could just be his coloring, but...
The fish in my avatar had a VERY similar mark that you can see in that picture (right in front of his dorsal fin). That's from the day I got him.
I'm STILL not sure what it was... but whatever it was, it went away pretty soon after I got him xD. It could be some kind of bruise, I suppose. Or maybe something else? I was afraid it was some kind of infection...
But, I didn't do anything about it and it went away! So clean, warm water, and good food did the trick for me. Hopefully it's the same thing!
Tazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:17 PM   #3 
Purple

I would heat it to about 80-82F. If it's already that warm, don't heat it anymore. A stress coat wouldn't hurt just in case. It might just be a bruise, and will go away with time.
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:26 PM   #4 
LizzyP

His tank has a heater with thermostat set between 80-82. Unfortunately I don't have any stress coat, but I plan on getting some soon. It might be just coloring, I don't know...Keeping an eye on it for now. Nothing in his tank to bang himself on, and he isn't showing any signs of discomfort. Who knows.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:30 PM   #5 
Tazo

I'd just keep an eye on it for now... I don't know exactly when my fish's black patch went away - I do know for sure that it was gone after two weeks xD. And I didn't use anything special like Stress Coat - I use Seachem Prime water conditioner though, which does help slime coat, so :P
Tazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:33 PM   #6 
Shirleythebetta

Fishy's change color like that sometimes pretty quickly. It looks like the spot's color continues up the top ray of his dorsel fin? Kind of interesting.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:43 PM   #7 
Purple

If he's not acting any differently, he's probably fine. We're all just paranoid betta mommies/daddies. :P
Old 06-27-2012, 11:57 PM   #8 
LizzyP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleythebetta View Post
Fishy's change color like that sometimes pretty quickly. It looks like the spot's color continues up the top ray of his dorsel fin? Kind of interesting.
He has dark colors kinda all over, mostly in his face, although his beard is a dark red. He was in dirty, borderline disgusting water when I got him so maybe this is just him changing color with some good TLC?
Old 06-28-2012, 12:08 AM   #9 
Purple

I've heard of fish changing color entirely after getting put into clean water and fed decently. Donald's fins turned from a creamy white to BLUE!
Old 06-28-2012, 03:09 AM   #10 
Shirleythebetta

Yea I wouldn't be concerned about it unless he acts sick. I had one girl I bought that changed colors pretty dramatically too. She was pure white and now she is a lavender and red color. It is normal for them to change color in clean water. Most betta's change color throughout their life.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote