Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #11 
LizzyP

Welcome to MD!

Keep in mind, it is hot here these days, probably not as hot as AZ, but the temps today are in the 100s. You'll be wanting the AC in the car, but make sure bettas stay warm. The hand warmers sound like a good idea, just make sure you replace them when they stop working.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #12 
OMB

LizzyP: Thank you! Funny, everyone on the east coast or near to MD have been warning and/or apologizing to me about the weather once I tell them I'm moving there. It must be really bad! I've been there twice - but none were during the dead of the summer (early May and late Aug - right during the last hurricane). 100s here in AZ aren't as bad because there's very little humidity. You just realize it's really hot once your skin is searing!
OMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:07 PM   #13 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm going to have the same dilemma this time next year. I'm hoping to be able to take my bettas with me but if we end up flying then I won't be able to take them.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #14 
ANHEL123

make sure you have gallons of the water with you. I am using aged water for my bettas ,so you can just put water conditioner in a gall and take it with you in case you need it. I would think if you transfer them in those little cups you will need to change the water every day. Also you can have them in side of the styrofoam box and put bubble wrap or newspaper, or clothes around their cups.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #15 
LizzyP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMB View Post
LizzyP: Thank you! Funny, everyone on the east coast or near to MD have been warning and/or apologizing to me about the weather once I tell them I'm moving there. It must be really bad! I've been there twice - but none were during the dead of the summer (early May and late Aug - right during the last hurricane). 100s here in AZ aren't as bad because there's very little humidity. You just realize it's really hot once your skin is searing!
It is hot and humid, making it even more miserable. But like everyone has said, if you pack them well, I don't think they'll move around too much. I would set out multiple gallons of water to move them in, plus take a small container to get them out at hotels to swim, maybe a large Tupperware container? I think a lot of hotels use city water, which might be rough on bettas, so take gallons of "home" water with you.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #16 
puppyrjjkm

I just did a trip like this in May from Montana to North Carolina. I put my 5 boys in 1/2 gallon mini tanks and set them behind the front seat of the car on the floor. Only fill the tanks half full, to prevent sloshing. My oldest VT was put in a 3 gal kritter keeper, also half full, with 3 african dwarf frogs. At night, I brought them into the hotel and plugged heaters in overnight. Fed in the mornings. It took us 3 nights and 4 days in the car, didn't do any water changes mainly because we didn't get to the hotels till 10-11 at nights and left by 8 in the mornings, but I was shocked how well they did. I wouldn't use the cups they are sold in, too small of a space and if keeping warm is a concern they can't move around much. But they all survived!! Best of luck!
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:52 PM   #17 
vaw103

How big are their tanks? I move my boys back and forth my college; I have a 5 gallon and a 3 gallon. It's only 3 1/2 hours of driving, but same idea (:

I take out half of the water from the tanks, and I have an adapter that lets me plug heaters into the car. So even with the air on, they're nice at toasty with a constant temperature (:

Here's a link to show you the adapters that I'm talking about:
http://www.walmart.com/browse/auto-e..._values=126098

Some of them are expensive, but there's a handful of them under $20
vaw103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:07 AM   #18 
OMB

So DO or DON'T use the cups they came in? It'd be much easier if I could use it...but I can also see if it is too small of a space. I could probably use mason jars with holes in the lids then, right? Another thing is I don't have much space in my little car with the stuff I'm already packing it with.

What do you think about feeding? Should I stop before the trip (how long before) or do I feed each day at the stops? I think the trip will be about 4 days, 3 nights.

Everyone is recommending bringing gallons of water with me. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to fit all that in my car for the trip. Is it really important that they get out and have swim time? Even if they are in a slightly bigger jar than their cups (mason jar-ish)?
Old 06-29-2012, 03:09 AM   #19 
OMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaw103 View Post
How big are their tanks? I move my boys back and forth my college; I have a 5 gallon and a 3 gallon. It's only 3 1/2 hours of driving, but same idea (:

I take out half of the water from the tanks, and I have an adapter that lets me plug heaters into the car. So even with the air on, they're nice at toasty with a constant temperature (:

Here's a link to show you the adapters that I'm talking about:
http://www.walmart.com/browse/auto-e..._values=126098

Some of them are expensive, but there's a handful of them under $20

thanks for the car adapter links..that's a good idea. but I think I'm going to try for something smaller for the trip so think the heater would be too strong. they currently live in a divided 6.6gal glass tank.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:21 PM   #20 
puppyrjjkm

I would not use the cups. Mason jars with lids would be bettr if you don't want to buy separate tanks. I didn't take any bottled water with me, seemed like too much of a hassle. I would place the mason jars inside the empty 6.6 gal tank then just place some towels/blankets on top and around the jars so it's dark so they are less stressed. I fed my boys like normal leading up to and during the trip. Maybe just 2 pellets while on the road just to have less waste in the jars. I didn't give the fish separate swim time. Personally if their water isn't cold I don't see any need for it. Seems like it would just stress them more moving them around.
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote