Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #11 
mekashiyu

Well I came home to a completed divider propped up against the fish tank.

He certainly did a good job of it (not that I expected any different), but I am sort of leaning towards the mesh now - I think I may have finally found a place to get some, it was just closed by the time I got off work.

I let the boys see each other again - Sherlock is definitely not a social guy. Even when I moved Watson away he just sat there flaring at me for a few minutes as if to say "why did you let that strange fish near me again?"

I think Moriarty and Watson would probably be cool with a divider like this between them, though. Not entirely sure about water flow, but it is just water after all, so I don't think there'd be much of an issue if they shared a heater/filter, right?
mekashiyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #12 
Thomasdog

Quote:
I've heard of people using coroplast as dividers (I'm assuming you'd do them the same way that you do the craft mesh dividers), and those would be a solid color/no visibility between tanks. It can be a bit hard to find locally, but I know you can order it online. I'll see if I can find the thread and a link to coroplast suppliers.
With plexi, if you were to drill many small holes in it, just about as big as a drill bit, you could still get water flow between (and only need one filter), but not have the fish be able to see one another. That might work for you.

And, instead of the coroplast, if you wanted a solid colored plexi divider, you could make 2 dividers, put them just about an 1/8th to 1/4 of an inch apart, and then slide a solid colored peice of matboard or thick paper between them. You just wouldn't fill that center space with water, so any solid colored paper product would work as it isn't coming into contact with any water, just being there between the tanks in a dry "island" of divider. (So no concerns about foreign chemicals in your tank water.) You'd have to glue in the dividers to make them water-tight, and you would need two filters (if you are filtering), but it would solve your visibility problem.

I hope that helps!
Old 06-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #13 
squidward89

aren't these dividers bad.. ? your taking a 5 gallon tank and putting the dividers and making the fish like in a small place.. wouldn't you stress the fish this way it's still only plastic with holes between them...
squidward89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #14 
Blue Fish

The dividers aren't bad, many fish live in a 5 gallon tank anyway, this way you're just making one tank into two tanks, but both are easily plenty big enough for a single betta. There is an ongoing debate about what size tank bettas are happiest in...and some people say smaller is better, 2.5 to 5, some people say bigger is better, 5 to 10, but everyone seems to agree that 5 is a good tank with proper space, cover, filtration ability, etc. :) At the end of the day, bettas do, in the wild, often live in smaller spaces for a large part of their lives. They're not ocean-going fish.
I have two of mine in 10 gals, and the other two (once their quarantine period is over) will be sharing a divided 10 gal (so 2, 5 gals). If they've never known anything bigger than a jar or a cup or a small bowl, a 5 gallon tank will feel like the world just opened up for them, and allows an owner to give more fish better lives than they might have otherwise in a smaller space and with less cost (1 heater/filter as compared with 2 heaters/filters). I think it's a win-win all the way around. :)

And the other question from the post above, many people do one tank with one filter, one heater, and a divider with no problems. :) As long as the water flows between, you should be able to do one filter and one heater. :)

Good luck to you Mekashiyu, and I'm so glad that you were helped out by my post, Thomasdog! :) It's always an awesome feeling to have helped someone out. :) I've gotten so much good advice and help from people on this board, that it's wonderful to be able to help someone else out and pass it on. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:05 AM   #15 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Plexiglass comes in a variety of opaque colors. I like white best. When holes are drilled, it's still harder to see through (that goes for white craft-mesh). My plexiglass divider has over 100 1/4 in. holes in it (talk about a tedious project). Properly fitted, it's tighter than craft-mesh.

I wouldn't trust Coroplast, with all those tiny tubes for bacteria and fungi to grow in.

Craft-mesh/binder dividers are my favorite. Cheap, easy, toss 'em if they get too funky. Easy to manipulate for tank maintenance. What's not to like?
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote