Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #1 
Yandry

Hm with veil tail

Hey guys I was wondering, if I cross a male veil tail with a female halfmoon, what will the fry be like? But on genetics I know some will be hm other vt but I'm not to sure. So please help?

Thanks.
Yandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #2 
Mo

100% vt
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #3 
BeckyFish97

all VT. even with a HM x HM spawn you can't garuntee any HM fry!VT is the most dominant gene, all you would get is VT's!Sorry!If you're wanting to breed you're better off starting out with a good quality pair, bought specifically from a breeder!
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #4 
teeneythebetta

PLEASE. Do research before breeding. If you don't know quite what you're doing, you can end up with dead bettas.

Be sure to get some quality bettas from good breeders, pet store bettas aren't worth breeding.

Good luck! :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:37 PM   #5 
Mo

Teeny. They will be 100% VT
Old 06-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #6 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
Teeny. They will be 100% VT
Haha I guess I read some invalid information somewhere xD Explains why I'm not a breeder xD
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #7 
Mo

Halfmoon is a recessive gene exept to short fins. Veiltail is an extremely dominant gene over all other tail types. Meaning that unless the VT had a recessive HM gene in him. They would produce 100% Veiltail
Old 06-28-2012, 04:10 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

The Betta either meets IBC standards or it doesn't.....

IMO-nothing wrong with using pet shop Betta for breeding, however, it may take you longer to reach goals.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:25 PM   #9 
KadenJames

In my opinion, there's a lot more to it than "fish meets standards or not." As a breeder, you end up with a batch of fry that will grow into adults. As adults, they need to either be sold or given away. Realistically, only a small percent of people you know will willingly take a betta from you because they'd need a tank, food, and keep up maintenance which is both money and time. The fish may end up sitting in a freezing, dirty bowl somewhere, flushed, fed to something bigger or simply forgotten about. Aiming for higher quality fish means other breeders (who are serious about the care of their fish) will actually be willing to purchase the fish, not only because they have decent form, but because you know the genetic history it. Pet store fish are meant to be exactly that- pets. If money is an issue when buying a pair to breed, then being able to afford the whole setup and maintenance of the spawning process is far from your reach.

It's vitally the same as deciding to let your neighbor's chihuahua mate with your mini poodle. The pups will be undesireable, the genetics scrambled like a rubix cube, and you've only added to the number of homeless, unwanted pets in the world.

This is in my own opinion, of course.

Last edited by KadenJames; 06-28-2012 at 05:27 PM.
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Lots of Betta with known genetic history sitting on the self too.....

It cost the same to care for a Betta-genetic history known or not....

Lots of Betta being sold by breeders that do not provide genetic history-Not all breeders are equal...some breeders don't keep good record-some breeders are only in it for the money and will always tell you that the only Betta worthy of breeding will be from a breeder-Nothing wrong with supporting breeders either-they need to make money too.

Pet shop Betta come from a breeder somewhere and sometimes the pet shop Betta will come from a good line (not always) Breeders rarely sell the best of the best since they generally keep them for breeding in their fish room to continue their line.

By buying a related pair from a breeder-and nothing wrong with this-so please don't misunderstand......You are continuing their line that they have worked years to develop-While it true even with known genetic history from a line that breeds true-you can still get some odd balls and you will still need to cull....Just like you will with pet shop fish or unknown genetic lines-true you may have more surprise-but generally culling will not be too much higher-but this also depends on your goals-That said.....regardless of known/unknown genetic history the breeder should be culling hard-keeping only the best of the best and what fits into your goals.

By keeping every single fry-you are not doing yourself nor the line you are working with any favors......
One of your goals should be quality not quantity......reporting that you have 100's of fry growing out from a single spawn means you didn't cull or you don't have goals and puts you in the fish-mill category.....IMO of course.....

IMO-Nothing wrong with mixing tail type, spawning unknown/mystery genetics or pet shop Betta, but as I stated-It may take you longer to reach goals-but it shouldn't stop you from breeding this species.

Be responsible, have a plan, set goals and be ready to spend lots of time in the fish room....Most important....Enjoy......it can be fun and rewarding rearing your own Betta from eggs to adults.....no matter what genetic line you start with be it known or unknown.....Maybe you will be the one that creates the new "IN" Betta.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote