Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #11 
Aus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRainbowBettaFish View Post
sorry but it is not suitable for ANY fish, let alone a shrimp. A betta needs ATLEAST a 5 gallon heated and filtered tank.
I'm sorry -- but no, they don't. I understand this might be your preference. But please don't state it like it's fact.

There are many bettas being kept in perfect health in tanks under 5 gallons And many of those are not filtered. The fact is, it's level of care that matters.

I do agree about heaters. And happen to think the dinky tank pictured by the OP is gross.

But the rest? That's your opinion.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #12 
lelei

Taking it off the wall everytime to change water..I know I certainly would not want to do it that way..I personally do not like that Idea of a fish on a wall ...seems more like a "Decoration" than a way to see a pet ..or to have a fish as a pet..(hanging up) like a picture..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #13 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
I'm sorry -- but no, they don't. I understand this might be your preference. But please don't state it like it's fact.

There are many bettas being kept in perfect health in tanks under 5 gallons And many of those are not filtered. The fact is, it's level of care that matters.

I do agree about heaters. And happen to think the dinky tank pictured by the OP is gross.

+++++++++1
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:17 AM   #14 
a123andpoof

As long as it is 1g i would say go for it. Just make sure it can be heated. I would get a siphon to clean it and do 1 50% and 1 100% each week. With thethe siphon youto wouldnt need to take it off the wall. Thats all that is needed. I keep 1 gallons with no problem

Last edited by a123andpoof; 06-29-2012 at 10:20 AM.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #15 
BeckyFish97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post

+1, I have pineapple in a 1 gal, and gandalf in a 2.5-they're both perfectly happy!How do I heat the 1 gal?It sits right next to gandalfs tank on the heater side, I check the temp daily, and it's just right. bettas do not NEED a 5gallon tank to be happy, mine are very happy, active and build regular bubblenests (when I'm not conditioning them for breeding...:/) 5gal might be your opinion but it is not fact.

To the op, the tank you posted yes looks cool but is actually about .5 gal, and the shape doesn't look suitable for a betta, most people say the best is 1gal up, there are some pretty good 1gal tanks around, that look nearly as cool as this one :)
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #16 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Have fun finding/making a lid for that one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #17 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Have fun finding/making a lid for that one.
Posted via Mobile Device
my main concern
you will get jumpers with that open space.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #18 
FrostSinth

^ I was thinking a simple inverted tuperware cover with holes, like the ones you buy fresh food in at the grocery store? We always save plastic things so I feel like I could do well with one.

I'm still thinking on heaters; I think one secured to the back wall of the tank wouldn't look too bad, I could probably hide it with a plant, and I could disguise the wire with decorations.

As to the dorm wall thing, I was thinking a command strip might be strong enough. I'd definitely test it for a few days before putting the fish in though. Or I have LOTS of spackle in the garage.. . . . or maybe it'll just be a home tank :/

Like I said, I LOVE the concept. I just remembered my dad used to have a dome train layout that was pretty big . . . imagine if I could put that on some plastic, mount it on the wall . . . (O.O)

If there's a story on the news about a 21 yo woman flooding her parents home with water from a failed fish tank idea, thats me lol

As to the thing about fish being "decor", I think its just the same as a bird cage hanging near a window or something like. I love watching my fish, so having them on the wall makes them no less alive and important to me :D :D

Last edited by FrostSinth; 06-29-2012 at 03:36 PM.
FrostSinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #19 
TuckerLove

This is what my mom recommended me to get, LOL. I also agree with you on the fact that Betta's dont need 5 gals of water. That is a person opinion and I support yours. I have 2 divided 10 gals with 3 in each one, 1 in a 3 gal and 1 in a 1.7gal. They are all heated and they are perfectly healthy. I think its foolish because many people LOVE fish, but I highly doubt they will go buy new 5+ gal tanks for 1 new fish. I think as long as they are taken proper care of then it doesnt matter.
TuckerLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:02 PM   #20 
xjenuhfur

Command strips wouldn't hold it up. Espically since it would need to be taken down for water changes. I wouldn't trust a command strip to hold it up anyway.
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote