Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #1 
SweetNightmare

I May Have a Broken Foot; What Should I Do?

Short version; I twisted my ankle outside and it hurts so bad three hours later that I'm concerned it's broken. I have no health insurance, I work 25 hours a week average at $8 an hour, I can't afford a doctor or to miss work. I don't know what to do and I'm freaking out, please help!

Also, further info: I'm eighteen, don't go to school because of financial issues, live in a two bedroom appartment with my boyfriend. Please no moral judging, I just need to know what to do about my foot.
SweetNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #2 
shadowpony

Ice. Go to the drugstore and get an ankle brace if you can. Ace bandage works too, but brace is better. If you can, feel your bones on each foot/ankle and see if there is a difference.
shadowpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #3 
AngesRadieux

I would send your boyfriend to go get ace bandages and an ankle brace if you can instead of going yourself. For now, stay off of it as much as possible. Don't be like me. When I hurt my foot, I didn't stay off of it. I went upstairs, intending to stay in my bed for a while, but ended up going right back down the stairs just to see if I could manage it, because I was a complete idiot. Turns out mine wasn't actually broken, though, but going up and down the stairs sure made it hurt worse. Moral of the story? Stay off your foot as much as you can. If it's possible, see if your boyfriend can go get you an ankle brace for it instead of going yourself. Keep ice on it. Just be careful with it. Don't do anything to aggravate it if you can avoid it. Is it a possibility for you to get crutches?
AngesRadieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #4 
kfish

My mother has a broken foot right now and there isn't much that can be done even with a doctor. Wrap it like others have said, elevate it, ice it. My mother isn't allowed to put any weight on hers for 3 weeks... so yeah... if you can get crutches SOMEHOW, do so. You may be able to rent them from a drugstore or another place.

Is it swollen? Bruised looking? I've broken my foot and done absolutely nothing about it (even kept walking on it a few miles a day, even though it hurt like crazy), but it apparently wasn't a very bad break.

Last edited by kfish; 06-28-2012 at 08:38 PM.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #5 
SweetNightmare

Yeah, there's some bruising color, though it started fading with the ice pack. I have crutches from when my boyfriend dislocated his knee. I'm mainly worried about missing work. I work retail, so it's a lot of on my feet, but I have no savings to speak of, and bills to pay, so missing three weeks of work is out of the question. Idk if my job would let me bring crutches, and we don't have any chairs tall enough to let me sit behind a register. I'll see if he can get me a brace tomorrow hopefully. I've got it wrapped in an ace bandage with another holding an ice pack on it. I'm hoping it's just a really bad sprain...
Old 06-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #6 
kfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetNightmare View Post
Yeah, there's some bruising color, though it started fading with the ice pack. I have crutches from when my boyfriend dislocated his knee. I'm mainly worried about missing work. I work retail, so it's a lot of on my feet, but I have no savings to speak of, and bills to pay, so missing three weeks of work is out of the question. Idk if my job would let me bring crutches, and we don't have any chairs tall enough to let me sit behind a register. I'll see if he can get me a brace tomorrow hopefully. I've got it wrapped in an ace bandage with another holding an ice pack on it. I'm hoping it's just a really bad sprain...
It could be, even if it's bruised. Just try to keep it elevated. It'd be swollen a decent bit if it's broken. Hopefully it'll start to feel better tomorrow.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #7 
lvandert

+1 to what everyone has said. ice, elevation, ankle brace, and a wrap of some sort. Doctors can't do much for feet. It's like a toe or finger, they'd tape it to something to keep it from moving but there isn't anything to tape it too. I would take a day or two off work and then test the waters so to speak at the end of your second day home. If you can kinda use it I would recommend ib profin and maybe some short shifts
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:04 AM   #8 
kfryman

I've heard that when you do ice you don't want to keep the ice on for the whole time, my knee got messed up so I had to go to the doctors, and my doctor said have it one for like 30 minutes then off for 10-20 minutes.

If you work behind a register you may be able to bring crutches, I would call and ask first though.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:19 AM   #9 
sparkyjoe

For a sprain or strain, I think for the first 24-48 hours the acronym RICE works:

Rest
Ice (20 mins on, 20 mins off, never directly on skin)
Compression
Elevation

After a couple of days I think it changes. I can't remember specifics. Maybe stop ice and switch to using heat to promote healing?

I have to put the disclaimer that I'm not a doctor and only a doctor should diagnose or treat a medical condition.

Does your local CVS, Walgreen, or even Kroger (grocery store) pharmacy have any type of "Minute Clinic" that you might be able to go to? I'm not sure they can help much but maybe they could give you some inexpensive (or free?) advice.
Posted via Mobile Device
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:48 AM   #10 
SweetNightmare

Okay, now I'm sure it's a sprain, or at least partially sure, as it feels better today, though it goes back to feeling awful if I put weight on it. No minute clinics around here, I'm one of the sla- I mean, working class in a rich town, so everything is catered to those with money. My boyfriend is going to ask his grandmother if she'll help me, cause she is looooooooaaaaadeeeed. Also, my foot started constantly tingling today, so according to everyone I need to see a doctor. TT-TT I'm going to be in debt forever.