Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2012, 10:00 PM   #1 
Jessie1990

Old Ammonia Burns or something else?

I bought Leviathan about 2 months ago. He had black patches on his gills that I thought were ammonia burns. These burns begin to disappear and then come back from day to day. (But they never totally go away) Also, he keeps changing color on me so I was wondering if it is possible for color patterns to carry over to the gill flesh.

Taken on my crappy phone camera :S I can try to get a better photo if needed :D
Jessie1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:10 PM   #2 
Blue Fish

OH, he's beautiful!
Sorry, that was absolutely no help...and I don't know the answer, but I couldn't help but tell you what a lovely boy you have. :) I'm not usually into plakets (too into all those long, flowing fins...;), but he's a looker! :)

Again, sorry, that was a random and totally unhelpful comment... :) But maybe you'll appreciate the compliment to your fish? :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #3 
Jessie1990

Ah thanks! He looks much different than 2 months ago :)
Also, I forgot to mention he can't open his gill plate when he flares on one side. The cashier said he was at petco for one month and he didn't recieve proper water changes because he got placed in the cat section by a customer and he almost died. Does anyone know how long ammonia burns take to heal?
Old 06-29-2012, 12:14 AM   #4 
Jessie1990

I forgot add:

Leviathan acts perfectly normal and active, other than his one gill not flaring. I couldn't find anything else other than ammonia burns that would cause black spotted gills. Also, his tank is normally heated but I unplugged it last week because the tank is consistently at 79 degrees in the summer. He is in a divided 10 gallon npt with one of my other kings and a nerite snail. Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates have always been 0. Any feedback about his gills and plate will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Jessie1990; 06-29-2012 at 12:15 AM. Reason: His tank is filtered