Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2012, 10:49 PM   #1 
YarnLass

Filter Problems

Hello,

I had an incident with my filter while doing a water change today. I have a Whisper 10i in my 10 gallon tank. I've been really happy with it so far, but tonight I managed to drop it outside of the tank while it was still plugged in. I unplugged it asap, and found that the suction cup on the bottom had come off.

Fine. I've put the suction cup back in before. This time, however, the bottom came off while putting the suction cup back in. I thought nothing of it since that part comes off to clean the filter.

Anyway, I got the whole thing back together, finished my water change, put the filter back in, and plugged it in.

Nothing.

I haven't had this filter very long (only a two and a half months) and I know that I did abuse it a little bit in the sense that it ran for a less then half a minute without water, and I dropped it, but the filter for my 3.5 gallon has been through significantly more abuse than that, and is still kicking, so I'm a bit disappointed that it didn't seem to stand up very well.

I may call the 800 number for tetra and talk to them about it, but I'm considering looking into a new filter.

Anyway, if I did look for a new filter, are there any recommendations people have for really good filters to use with a 10 gallon tank?

Note: I don't think a HOB filter will work with my set up. I'm using a screen for a lid, and it goes over the outside edges of the top of the tank.

Thanks for any useful, and objective assistance.

Last edited by YarnLass; 06-28-2012 at 10:55 PM. Reason: typos
YarnLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #2 
YarnLass

I know I edited this yesterday, but I can't seem to figure out how today.

Anyway, my husband fixed the filter. He managed to take it apart and it turns out there was some mineral buildup where the moving parts are.
YarnLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:16 PM   #3 
bahamut285

You can't edit posts after something like 20-30 minutes after posting them :). I'm glad your husband repaired your filter! It's good to have a handyman at home, lol!
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote