Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2012, 11:42 PM   #1 
Purple

Heater/Filter Help!

I'm going to buy heaters and filters for my bettas in the near future. Which are the best for bettas? I know ABSOLUTELY nothing about them, so any advice that you have is very much needed! Are there any brands that are better than others? If you can link me to a certain one, that would be GREAT.
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #2 
kfish

I love this heater (so do a lot of other people here): http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-THEO-Sub.../dp/B0006JLPG8

It'll work in up to 7 gallons according to its specs, but I'm using mine in a 10 and it's fine. The general rule is 5W of heater power per gallon, but you can use less than that. Depends how cold you keep your house. :P When buying heaters, always go for an adjustable one and make sure you put in a thermometer with it so you can make sure it's heating to the appropriate temperature.

As far as filters, I think that waterfall filters are the easiest to baffle, since bettas don't like current.

I baffle them like this:

That's Fluval filter foam/sponge (which comes in a box for like $2) rubberbanded around the filter, and pushed into the waterfall. The idea is to displace the water over a wider area, so you want the foam to touch the water. There are other ways to baffle, but I like this way.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote