Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? No

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Just regular treatment chemicals to remove chlorine and stuff in tap water

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
No not sure

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Kind of looks paler
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Barely swimming anymore very lethargic
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No

How old is your fish (approximately)? Don't know, I got her off Aquabid about 5 months a go

I have a three Bettas and their all in the same type of tank and I use the same water and treatment for each tank. I change the water the same time each week. The other two fish are doing fine and I'm not doing anything differently with them. Today when I woke up I fed her and she was as active as always swimming instantly to the top lunging at her pellets. Fridays are usually my water change day, but today when I came home I saw her at the bottom of her tank just sitting there very unactively like not like her shes always active and hyper. I thought maybe the water might be bad so I changed the water today and changed the filter too. She was still just sitting at the bottom of her tank getting up to swim briefly and when I went to feed her tonight she didn't eat anything. I'm worried that somethings wrong. Could it be that she's to old or something? I changed the water for the other two and they are still doing fine.
wah543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #2 
Canuck Fins

In a 2.5G tank, water changes really need to be done twice a week - one 50% and one 100%. It could be water quality.

It could also be a nutritional thing; have you tried giving your fish frozen bloodworms for one feeding during the week. More variety sometimes will help perk them up.

I'm not sure why it would only affect your one fish and not the other two tanks, but sometimes fish have different tolerances for things.

I think pet store fish are usually six to eight weeks old so your betta should only be maybe 7 months old. That's not old by betta standards. I hope you get it figured out.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #3 
FishyFishy89

Personally if the OP is doing a weekly 100% change it couldn't be water quality

OP, do you do any maintenance on the filter/media? What do you do?
How did you acclimate your betta?
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #4 
wah543

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
Personally if the OP is doing a weekly 100% change it couldn't be water quality

OP, do you do any maintenance on the filter/media? What do you do?
How did you acclimate your betta?
I change the filter in it every 3 weeks or whenever it starts looking yellowish, I acclimate them by putting them in the petco cup float it on the top for a little bit then pour some water out and put water from the new tank in, I do thiis two or three times then let them just swim out of the cup and into the tank. I don't really change up their food but shes always so excited whenever the food comes so I didn't think she was getting tired of the food. Shes still like this this morning and I have no idea whats going on, I'm afraid shes sick or going to die
Old 06-29-2012, 10:12 AM   #5 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by wah543 View Post
I change the filter in it every 3 weeks or whenever it starts looking yellowish, I acclimate them by putting them in the petco cup float it on the top for a little bit then pour some water out and put water from the new tank in, I do thiis two or three times then let them just swim out of the cup and into the tank. I don't really change up their food but shes always so excited whenever the food comes so I didn't think she was getting tired of the food. Shes still like this this morning and I have no idea whats going on, I'm afraid shes sick or going to die
substrate? How do you clean it? And how often?
do you use fish only cleaning supplies? No soap?
Old 06-29-2012, 10:17 AM   #6 
wah543

I just empty out all the water rinse out the water good and wipe down the walls with towels and stuff, no soap or anything
Old 06-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #7 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
I just empty out all the water rinse out the water good and wipe down the walls with towels and stuff, no soap or anything
is it possible that anything you used to wipe down the tank had contact with soap, detergent, bleach or any cleaning solution?
I'm no sure if you answered my substrate question. Do you have any gravel or rocks of some sort? How do you clean them?
Old 06-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #8 
wah543

No I just use clean towels or paper towels, I'm not sure about anything substrate related sorry, I do have gravel and I rinse them out whenever I clean out the tank
Old 06-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #9 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
No I just use clean towels or paper towels, I'm not sure about anything substrate related sorry, I do have gravel and I rinse them out whenever I clean out the tank
Could it possibly be that you are disturbing the bacteria in the gravel bed when you rinse it?
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #10 
wah543

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRainbowBettaFish View Post
Could it possibly be that you are disturbing the bacteria in the gravel bed when you rinse it?
Really? that could happen? how can i clean the gravel without doing that?