Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2012, 08:11 PM   #1 
Purple

Question Betta Food (Discussion)

When reading about all the different foods that I can give to my bettas, it gets so overwhelming! I even read about someone feeding their bettas live ants. (WHAAT?) I've decided that feeding pellets and frozen brine shrimp with a pea once a week would be best for my budget/time/fish.

My question is: what/when/how/where/who do you feed your fish? Are there foods that they won't eat, or anything that they like more than others?

One weird thing that I've noticed is that my female will gladly eat a pea from a toothpick, and won't touch anything that's been remotely close to the bottom of the tank. My male will only eat a pea after it has touched the bottom, and then he swims by and makes it float then "chases" it.
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:47 PM   #2 
teeneythebetta

I feed omega one floating tropical fish pellets. They are high quality and have the best ingredients label I've seen yet.

Ingredients:
Whole Salmon, Black Cod, Whole Heming, Seafood Mix(Including Krill, Shrimp and Octopus). Wheat Flour, Wheat Gluten, Soy Flour, Fresh Kelp, Lecithin, Astaxanthin, L-ascorbyl-2-poyphosphate (Vitamin C), Natural and Artificial Colors, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Vitamin A Acetate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin D3, Ethoxyquin, Natural Mixed Tocopherals and Rosemary Extract (A preservative).

Also they get frozen blood worms 2 x a week
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:57 PM   #3 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Be careful feeding peas I have read thats not so good for them in the long run and can harm them. From what I have read most people only feed their Betta peas when they are bloated to help them poop. As for what I feed I use the Life Spectrum Betta pellets and the Bio Gold Betta Pellets, I give two or three pellets in the morning of one brand and two at night of the other brand. He also gets a treat now and then of freeze dried bloodworms which he loves ! He will not eat the dried shrimp I guess he does not like it.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #4 
thekoimaiden

Bettas can't actually digest peas, so all it really does it make your betta poop. It has absolutely no nutritional value whatsoever. Brine shrimp are actually a better laxative, if that is what you are going for.

I feed my bettas Omega One betta pellets some days and NLS other days. Since the NLS pellets are so small, I only feed it when the lights are on (lights are on a timer for the plants). Frozen bloodworms are a treat every once in a while. I do fast my fish on water change day.

I make my own goldfish food and would rather make my own betta food, but I simply can't cut the pieces small enough.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:38 PM   #5 
Purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
Be careful feeding peas I have read thats not so good for them in the long run and can harm them. From what I have read most people only feed their Betta peas when they are bloated to help them poop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Bettas can't actually digest peas, so all it really does it make your betta poop. It has absolutely no nutritional value whatsoever. Brine shrimp are actually a better laxative, if that is what you are going for.
I read somewhere that on "fasting days" it was good to feed them a pea. Is it detrimental to their health? If so, how? Today I fed my fish who had been constipated for about a week half a pea and she pooped almost 5 minutes afterwards, so I guess it helped her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
I make my own goldfish food and would rather make my own betta food, but I simply can't cut the pieces small enough.
How do you make your own food? That sounds interesting!

How often should I feed brine shrimp? That's the one thing I haven't really decided.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:44 PM   #6 
Chibi

At first I was feeding my betta, tetra bettamin flakes, but he didn't like it. Now I'm feeding my betta tetra floating mini pellets as a daily supple and freeze dried blood worms as treats. He really like the pellets. Two pellets in the morning and two at night, fast on h2o changing day, and blood worms day after that. I might try feeding him two brand of pellets too after reading some of your replies :) thanks!

@maiden- That really does sound interesting! What kind of food are you using to make your fish food??
Chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:04 AM   #7 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple View Post
I read somewhere that on "fasting days" it was good to feed them a pea. Is it detrimental to their health? If so, how? Today I fed my fish who had been constipated for about a week half a pea and she pooped almost 5 minutes afterwards, so I guess it helped her.
Long-term it's not good for their digestive system as the pea causes it to work in overdrive to get it out. If your betta keeps getting constipated, then you should try to fix the cause of the constipation rather than feeding a lot of peas. Try turning up the temperature in the tank, feeding less food in a sitting, and feeding a higher quality food. I have a betta that gets constipated if I feed him more than a single large pellet or two small pellets in a sitting.

The pea didn't actually help her. It just pushed the food through her system much in the same way that a bad GI flu can cause your body to empty your GI tract. Sorry for the gross analogy. There isn't any other way I can think to explain it.

I make my own goldfish food using babyfood, sugarless gelatine, and chopped salmon/mackarel. I do so because I have a goldfish that experiences bad bloat when I give him commercial pellet feed. The wheat in there causes the problem. I imagine betta food would consist of some similar minus the veggies.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:10 AM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

I feed mine TetraBetta Plus Floating Pellets. But I'm switching to New Life Spectrum, though. I also feed my Betta Freeze-Dried Bloodworms sparingly 2 times a Week, and a Few Flakes every other Day.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:15 AM   #9 
Atena

I feed my Betta Guppy a veriety of foods. He does not like freez-dried anything though. I have tried it all. I tried frozen bloodworms and krill, does not like those either.

He eats two different kinds of betta pallets, betta flakes (highest in protein but I heard might cause bloating, so I don'd do that every day), micro pallets, those tiny wiggly things that come in a heart shaped packet, and the occasional live mosquito worm I farm in a bucket outside at the suggestion of OFL.

I hear variety is good. I think it is making him finicky, but a happy pet is sometimes a spoiled pet. When he does not eat well (reluctantly nibbles) I stop feeding for a day or two and he gets right back into it.
Atena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:21 AM   #10 
Purple

Is it alright if nothing else is working? She had been constipated for a week and I was afraid I was going to starve her to death.

Tags
food