Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #1 
Sadie555

What else should I do?

After trying yet, sadly, failing with my first little friend, I decided to go ahead and - armed with new knowledge - get a second friend.

So now I have a crown tail female. Please don't laugh when I tell you that I gave her the name of Einstein. I have her in approx. 1 gallon glass bowl of tap water treated with a few drops of Seachem Prime. She has a tiny 10 Watt (I think) heater, a basic stick-on thermometer, and I try to keep the temperature decent for her. I was using gravel, but it's a pain to work with and leaves a funny smell. (It also says on the package that the gravel may change the pH, and since I don't have a water testing kit yet, I decided to go back to the glass stones.) I also had a hiding toy for her, but it took up way too much room, and she just continued to swim around it instead of through it. Now she just has a fake plant. (She tends to hide behind the heater for more warmth anyways.)

I'm still feeding the flakes, because I'm running out of funds to take good care of her. I'm debating on whether or not to invest in a $40 tank of 3 gallons. (This would be MUCH harder to clean in my tiny apartment, too.)

I guess, at this point, my question is: Besides a bigger home, is there anything else that I can do for my new Einstein?
Sadie555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

Where do you live? Have you tried local classifieds? there are often people selling tanks with heater and filters for thats price :)

remember to keep the tank covered, incase she decides to take a leap to the unknown world yonder.
other wise keep up with a good water change schedule / feeding schedule and your fish should be as happy as a pea (whatever that means). What is the temperature of her tank may I ask?

Oh and if $40 is your budget and you can only get her an unheated tan with that... then I suggest you use the money to get her some good food :)
If it's pellets, Hikari biogold is the cheapest in terms of price for quality (but not neccessarily quantity)
New life spectrum is more pricey, but will feed a single betta for years( no exaggeration)
Hikari also makes some awesome freeze dried blood worms. This will also last you for years oO.
You can also get some frozen foods if you're not too squirmish about handling squishy dead worms, lololol

Female bettas loves mirrors too! you can try showing her own reflection to her and see if she reacts :)

Last edited by ao; 06-29-2012 at 11:49 AM.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #3 
lelei

Well, you don't need 40 for a tank, Petco is having a 1$per gal tank sale, I recently saw, and there are some 5 gal tanks, or 3 gal tanks on Amazon, or at Walmart that won't set you back that much..I started with a 3 gal Hawkeye cylindrical tank, that was only 30$ and I bought 2 silk plants, and some gravel, and a spongebob hidy cave, all in all around 50$ total..and for cleaning u will need a siphon, (gravel vaccum) you can get later,

I didn't get mine for almost a month after I got the tank, and just get othr things as you go..the main things would be a better food, flakes are not the best, and they sink, and cause ammonia spikes, I would opt for the higher quality pellets, it makes a heck of a difference in energy levels, and coloring..I hope that gives you a lil bit of help with your choices. Good luck..Keep us posted")
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #4 
Sadie555

I try to keep the temp at around 74-82 degrees F. The heater is supposed to automatically keep it at 76 degrees, but it usually falls a bit below. (According to my stick on thermometer.)

I caved in and bought pellets. They aren't the greatest quality, but they were the smallest and best quality my pet store carried.

I have a Hagen Elite Mini 25 Watt heater being shipped out today from Amazon, as well as a better, floating thermometer.

I have decided that, when I get back to my place (I'm staying at my parents' for the weekend), I will try and get that 3 gallon tank.

I will also eventually get the API Freshwater Master Test Kit.

I guess I've figured that, if I've already invested this much money in my Einstein, I may as well go all the way.

It's amazing how fish are so addicting! :)
Old 06-29-2012, 03:36 PM   #5 
lelei

Yup..that is what you will eventually do, just go all out..because it's so worth it in the long run, I have loved when Sammy was in his 3 gal, so much so, that I wanted to go further, now he is in a 5 gal, and eventually my rescue fishy will prob get his own 5 gal when he gets bigger and needs more room, and then fishy # 3!!! ..lol..yes, they are sooo addicting!!
Old 06-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #6 
Tazo

Another way you could save money and still give her more room is to invest in a Kritter Keeper/Pet Keeper. I'm pretty sure the medium ones are /at least/ 3 gallons, and they make a great home for bettas. The only thing is, there's no light or filter, so if you're hard set on getting a filtered tank it's kind of out of the question.
I'm pretty sure this one from Pet Mountain /does/ come with a light, as well... but don't quote me on that. A lot of people here use the Kritter Keepers and love them, though, and they're a lot cheaper than other tanks.
Tazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #7 
lelei

@ Tazo--Wow..and you can also get a light for a Kritter keeper now..I saw that also on the same page..of that site..that is great:)
Old 06-29-2012, 04:37 PM   #8 
kfish

I love this tank, and the price is pretty unbeatable.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...-Pets/14660258

Your new heater would work fine in it. :)
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:36 PM   #9 
Sadie555

Thank you guys! I have to be very careful about what I get, because I don't have THAT much space in my apartment. (In fact, I can BARELY upgrade the 1 gallon bowl she has now.) If it's going to be any bigger, it must fit within 1 square foot of counter space. (It's the only surface space I have in my apartment!) And if you think that I could just put it on the floor- think again. I have less than 150 square feet of space to live in!

By the way, is there any way to get them to be less skittish? Einstein doesn't even like me LOOKING at her!
Old 06-29-2012, 05:40 PM   #10 
kfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie555 View Post
Thank you guys! I have to be very careful about what I get, because I don't have THAT much space in my apartment. (In fact, I can BARELY upgrade the 1 gallon bowl she has now.) If it's going to be any bigger, it must fit within 1 square foot of counter space. (It's the only surface space I have in my apartment!) And if you think that I could just put it on the floor- think again. I have less than 150 square feet of space to live in!

By the way, is there any way to get them to be less skittish? Einstein doesn't even like me LOOKING at her!
Remember that you don't HAVE to upgrade. As long as you can heat it consistently (your new heater should be fine in a 1 gallon bowl - just monitor it closely until you're sure) and you change the water as frequently as you need to (remember to shut the heater off and let it cool off before removing water/taking the heater out), one gallon is fine.

As far as being skittish, just letting her get used to you is about the best you can do. If she sees you a lot (I'm sure she does if your apartment is that small!), she'll get used to you quickly!
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote