Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #1 
teeneythebetta

Talking Project: Sorority Tank stand

Well I made this tank stand for my 10 gallon sorority. It is kinda short lol.

First I went to a local thrift store and picked up this small TV stand, it was ugly black & brown at first, cost me $6. I already had the white paint.
Then I went to walmart and picked up 3 little baskets, $2 each.
Then to dollar tree, got 3 rolls of decorative vinyl mats- $1 each.
Total cost: $15 Total project time: 24 hours

(I should've taken a before picture! xD)

And as for the baskets... The one on the far left has food, food samples, cuttle bone for nerite snails, water conditioner, water conditioner samples & Tetra safe start.

The middle basket contains pet store betta cups, aquarium foam, extra gravel & glass pebbles and instructions.

And the last basket has my API Master test kit. :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #2 
Catfish Billy

That is a RIDICULOUSLY good stand! I couldn't make that if I had infinite time and money! Congratulations!
Catfish Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #3 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish Billy View Post
That is a RIDICULOUSLY good stand! I couldn't make that if I had infinite time and money! Congratulations!
Aww thanks! The stand has a piece of wood right above the baskets, otherwise I would've gotten taller baskets! Oh well :)
Old 06-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #4 
Sowman

Looks great.. are those real plants?
Sowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #5 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowman View Post
Looks great.. are those real plants?
Some are real, the really big ones are fake. I love live plants but I couldn't find any big and tall enough to fill the tank for the sorority. I'd love to eventually have 100% live plants tho :D
Old 06-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #6 
Knitterly

I love that! Your group and tank look so nice! Your girls make me smile. :D I hope mine looks as nice once it's up and running.

I have made progress on cycling the tank this week, though. I put my hydro 0 pump into it, which means my 2.5 gallon is running without a filter. But what do you know, that darn little filter had a thriving bacterial colony and within 36 hours had brought the AMmonia down from 8ppm to 4ppm. I think I'll be cycled within 10 days or so. Phew! I'll just leave both filters running in the 10 gallon, sine my 2.5 will be empty.
Knitterly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #7 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knitterly View Post
I love that! Your group and tank look so nice! Your girls make me smile. :D I hope mine looks as nice once it's up and running.

I have made progress on cycling the tank this week, though. I put my hydro 0 pump into it, which means my 2.5 gallon is running without a filter. But what do you know, that darn little filter had a thriving bacterial colony and within 36 hours had brought the AMmonia down from 8ppm to 4ppm. I think I'll be cycled within 10 days or so. Phew! I'll just leave both filters running in the 10 gallon, sine my 2.5 will be empty.
That is awesome! I'm so excited fur you :3 Do you already have your girls picked out?
Old 06-29-2012, 08:54 PM   #8 
ZergyMonster

I would be concerned about the structural integrity of the shelf. Single 10 gallon tank can weigh upwards of 110 lbs. And from the looks of the sides it is only held in place with 4 screws(two on each side) As a construction minor I would suggest adding a vertical piece of wood underneath the tank; this will lower the likely-hood of your top shelf warping and bowing downward.

Just a concern, but needed mentioning.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #9 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZergyMonster View Post
I would be concerned about the structural integrity of the shelf. Single 10 gallon tank can weigh upwards of 110 lbs. And from the looks of the sides it is only held in place with 4 screws(two on each side) As a construction minor I would suggest adding a vertical piece of wood underneath the tank; this will lower the likely-hood of your top shelf warping and bowing downward.

Just a concern, but needed mentioning.
I appreciate your concern. I asked my mom if she thought it'd be okay and she said yes... O.o if it couldn't handle the weight- it'd give me a good warning, right? You don't think it'd just like topple down one day.. Right? O_o

It has a piece of wood horizontally right above the baskets, I guess for extra support. Do you think if I put a piece of wood vertically behind tr baskets- would that be okay?
Old 06-29-2012, 11:17 PM   #10 
ZergyMonster

Behind the back would work too. But in the center would give the greatest support. Once or if it starts warping/bowing downward it is a sign that you need to get more support and your tank will be prone to cracking.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote