Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #1 
labloverl

Toys

I've got two males in a divided 10 gallon. One had the full 10 gallons for 6 months before I introduced the new one. I also put a background on the back side, and the new CT boy wouldn't stop flaring as long as the tank light was on. Then the original boy (VT who rarely flared at his reflection, but always flared at neons) started flaring at the background as well as the new boy through the divider. This seems like plenty to keep them from getting bored, but when they get used to each other and their reflection, what can I put in the tank to keep them occupied? I have several plants that they can swim through and all around, as well as a small cave for each. I made the divider out of the craft stuff, and I've seen others with little "logs" that are made out of the same thing. Can anyone tell me how they make the little logs out of the craft divider sheet? I just don't want these guys getting bored.
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #2 
aqua001

Can't help you with the log but one way i keep my bettas out of boredom is whenever I feed them, i use a straw and push the food around and make them chase after their food.
aqua001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #3 
lelei

I just change 1 or 2 plants..move to a different side if the tank..and watch them figure out how to navigate their way around if the leaves are too tight..or if there are spaces..they know how to wiggle thru..and go under to come up and find the perfect leaf to rest on..My daughter recently put amarble in the cave..to watch what Sammy might do with it..he has tried to figure it out..and has been nudging it with his nose..I am waiting to see it out of the cave then Ill know hes a super Fish!!..lol
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #4 
Alcemistnv

I can't really help on anything besides alleviating boredom, because I don't have any experience with more than one betta in a tank.

But what I do is put a ping pong ball in the tank. I ALWAYS run hot water over it to make sure that it's clean (mine has a print on it so it smelled like ink when I got it, but I never put the ink part into the water). I just leave the ball in the water and Buddha does his little "OMG what is that thing, get it away from me" swim around the tank. Its fun for both me and him.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #5 
littlemermaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by labloverl View Post
Can anyone tell me how they make the little logs out of the craft divider sheet? I just don't want these guys getting bored.
I made a bunch of them today for my guys and they seem to like them although 2 of them will get them tomorrow when they get water changes. I just cut the mesh into a long strip and cut a small hole in each end of the mesh making sure the holes lined up then I rolled it into a log shape and stuck a suction cup through both holes. Hopefully that makes sense. lol!
littlemermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:26 PM   #6 
labloverl

I definitely need to change the feeding routine as it's over and done with quickly. I just place the food in front them, and they've learned NOT to look for it.

lelei, did you just wash the marble off with hot water? I alway worry about putting new things in the tank. I need to try that.

Alcemistnv, do you just put the ball in there for "playtime?"

littlemermaid, YES! That is exactly what I wanted to know. Do you completely submerge them, or leave them out halfway?
Old 06-25-2012, 10:48 PM   #7 
littlemermaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by labloverl View Post
I definitely need to change the feeding routine as it's over and done with quickly. I just place the food in front them, and they've learned NOT to look for it.

lelei, did you just wash the marble off with hot water? I alway worry about putting new things in the tank. I need to try that.

Alcemistnv, do you just put the ball in there for "playtime?"

littlemermaid, YES! That is exactly what I wanted to know. Do you completely submerge them, or leave them out halfway?
I completely submerged mine but near the surface
littlemermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:51 PM   #8 
labloverl

Okay, I just need to dig out some suction cups. Do you happen to have a pic?

The suction cup I found has a long end, so it stick out inside the log.

Last edited by labloverl; 06-25-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:54 PM   #9 
Thomasdog

People tell me bettas don't get bored. For some reason, I don't believe them..... gee i wonder why... :P
Thomasdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:59 PM   #10 
Atena

I think I am the one with the short attention span in my home, I change the tank around before Guppy has a chance to get used the setup. LOL

I add or change something about every two weeks, not because he is bored, just because I enjoy tweaking it.
Atena is offline   Reply With Quote