Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2012, 02:51 AM   #1 
Tikibirds

Angry what is his issue?

I have a fish that has been having issues swimming. At first I though SBD so I fasted and did the epsom. It didn't work. Then I though maybe internal bacterial infection and tried tetracycline. That didn't work. Internal parasite? Tried Jungle anti parasite fizzies and anti parasite fish food. He was eating and was pooping through all of this. Poop was normal color but not really the cinnamon bun shape. Then I though maybe I damaged his swim bladder when I cupped him a while back. He kinda got squished between the cup rim and the tank. This was like 1.5 months ago. he has been in 3 teaspoons of epsom since then and has been fasted a few times but its not making any difference. It looks like the tummy bulge is getting a bit bigger and then today I saw what looked like white worms near the heater. Are there any INTERNAL parasites that are white worms? Its not planteria or those other hair like worms that live in the gravel. They are thicker and he has no gravel. His swimming issue is getting worse, I think.

he's in a 1 gallon but I stuffed it with silk plants so he has stuff to lay aganist to maintain his balance. He is usually under a leaf - otherwise he goes sideways:

No clamping
No color loss
No pineconning
sometimes he has rapid gill movement but I'm thinking maybe its from trying to maintain his balance all the time and its tiring him out?
1 gallon tank with heater
2X week WC unless medicated
nomral colored poop but sometimes it has clear spots and is broken up - not the normal cinnamon bun look
Has a weird kink or s curve sometimes
i doubt its TB, he would of been dead by now
currently in 3 teaspoons of epsom and anti parasite fizzie tab..again

Last edited by Tikibirds; 06-28-2012 at 02:56 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:32 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Internal parasites that would be white: tapeworms. Capillaria could be a distinct possibility. Emaciation over the back is often a good indicator of capillaria as well as white stringy poop. He looks kind of emaciated to me. For capillaria, you'd need to treat with levamisole or fenbendazole. If fenbendazole, it needs to be fed. If levamisole, it is put into the water at a dose of about 4-5 drops per gallon. You can get levamisole on aquabid from mvp. Fenbendazole can be gotten in the form of Panacur, a dog dewormer prescribed by vet.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:07 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

I can get panacur without a Rx BUT its for a horse
http://www.tractorsupply.com/interve...e-25-g-5122970

or

safeguard dewormer
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=13555

how do i give something for a 10 pound dog to a 1 ounce fish??

Last edited by Tikibirds; 06-28-2012 at 04:11 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #4 
Sakura8

I think the Safeguard is what I used. It's pretty tricky but the best way is to mix it with water and garlic juice and soak some food into it. But if he won't eat, you can try it in the water. I'm not sure how effective fenbendazole is in water, if it's readily absorbed by the gills or not. If you get some, measure out a teaspoon of it and use the 5 cup method.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:19 AM   #5 
Tikibirds

Jungles parasite fizzies seem to be working...he is swimming normalish now but still has an S shape
Old 06-29-2012, 01:19 AM   #6 
Sakura8

Keep trying. Whatever works to get him back to health. Go Derpy, go!