Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #1 
LuckyBlue

Softened Well Water

Is is ok to use well water that has been softened? Or would it be ok to use the well water before it is softened. My water also has a lot of tannins in it... so after the softener it also goes through a tannin cleaner.. the water I brought home from work (city water... looks yellow this time) my babies need changed ... trying to figure out what to do... or should I go buy water.. I did use the yellowish water on the two smaller tanks and they are still with us... but just trying to decide what is best.
The yellowish water is from the same place I always get it... just this time it is slightly yellow...thanks for any help I need to clean them today so any help would be great!!
LuckyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Well I would not used softened water. Our water softeners don't soften water for fish. They replace calcium with salt, which prevents hard water stains on glass, but the salt is really bad for the fish long term.
I have no clue about the tannins though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #3 
kfish

Hmmm... if tannins are the only thing wrong with it (which the fish would actually like ;) ) then I don't see why you couldn't just use conditioned, pre-softened well water. A lot of people just use their well water+water conditioner. I've kept fish in softened water and they've done fine long term, but I wouldn't do it again. It's also horrible for growing plants, as you can imagine. >_< If you end up doing a 100% change with a new water source just make sure you acclimate your fish again.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:46 AM   #4 
LuckyBlue

thanks... I went ahead and used the water I had even though not quite as clear as usual. I think I will take in a sample of my pre-conditioned well water after adding the conditioner to the pet store for them to tell me how it looks. I appreciate the info that others have used well water before with no ill effects.

I have just gotten so attached to the little things I'd hate to lose them over the water.. especially my little Walmart rescue, Anderson. He is doing so well.
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2012, 09:47 AM   #5 
LuckyBlue

This was him in his poor walmart cup.
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #6 
kfish

Oh wow, he's gotten so bright!
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote