Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-20-2014, 01:37 PM   #1 
BlueSky99

Raising fry?

We discovered some fry in our 48 gal and instead of leaving them alone like we usually do, we've decided to try to keep them alive. There are 5 fry in a breeder box right now, and at least 2 I've seen that need to be put in there. One of the fry in the breeder box can't really swim; it just lays on the bottom of the box, and will occasionally try to swim but instead drag around the bottom. There's a fry that's bigger than the rest of the fry and already has an orange body and its fins are mostly black. Is it normal for one of them to be that developed or could it be the only survivor from an earlier batch?

-I would also like to know if it would be easier to buy a grow-out tank to raise them in? -If so, what size should it be & what watt heater would it need? (we're setting up a 10 gal later this month so we can't spend a lot of money on the fry's tank)
-What do we feed the fry? I've read you can feed them egg yolk, BBS (no idea where to get that), bloodworms/microworms (I'd prefer not to do that because worms creep me out), liquid food, or flake powder, but what is preferred out of these?

If there's anything else I didn't mention that I'd need to know then go ahead and tell me because I probably don't know about it.

BlueSky99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:28 PM   #2 
ellekay

I've been feeding my platy fry the hikari first bites about once or twice a day (it's hard to get a very tiny amount, and they feed on it throughout the day). They're 10 days old right now and growing like weeds! I tried a brine shrimp, but none seemed interested in it.
I have my fry in one of the plastic breeder boxes until they are big enough that the two adults won't try to eat them, and then they'll go in the tank with them until I can rehome them to friends.
ellekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:51 PM   #3 
BlueSky99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellekay View Post
I've been feeding my platy fry the hikari first bites about once or twice a day (it's hard to get a very tiny amount, and they feed on it throughout the day). They're 10 days old right now and growing like weeds! I tried a brine shrimp, but none seemed interested in it.
I have my fry in one of the plastic breeder boxes until they are big enough that the two adults won't try to eat them, and then they'll go in the tank with them until I can rehome them to friends.
At what size are they big enough to be with adult fish? Our biggest fish are swordtails, dalmation mollies, and ADFs.

I don't know if they're supposed to be active or not, but most of the fry are laying/hovering at the bottom of the box. I fed them ground up flakes half and hour ago, which some ate. Would the breeder box be big enough for 5-7 fry? (it's about 7in x 4in, but that's just a guesstimate)
Old 12-20-2014, 02:58 PM   #4 
Tolak

Best bet for food if you aren't planning on doing it on a regular basis is a quality flake or pellet. I use a cheap coffee grinder to grind them down to the consistency of soot, makes them fry size. BBS is something you need to hatch out daily, it's a live micro food, one of the best out there. A good alternative is decapsulated BBS, no hatching needed, Brine Shrimp Direct sells them, excellent product.

Folks serious into breeding livebearers, show breeders, production breeding for profit & such start with the live BBS, then transistion to a good beefheart mix shaved with a razor blade, and a quality dry food ground down fine. Many tiny feeding several times daily, this gives fast growth, and good bulk. Folks doing a few fry for fun get by just fine with the ground flake or pellets. If you don't have a grinder get a heavy ziplock bag, toss in some dry food, beat the snot out of it with a rolling pin or some such. My coffee grinder is a cheap $12 eBay deal, works great for coffee as well. It grinds everything from flake to 12mm dry dog food (experimental fry food, ongoing work in progress), though the bigger dry food does make a bit of racket.

If you can swing the growout tank do it, I find that if you provide plenty of hiding places for the fry most of them don't get cannibalized. Spawning mops are a real cheap & easy thing to make, and work great for livebearer breeding. I've got some swords in a 20l that I don't intentionally breed, but as is common with most livebearers they do anyway. A couple mops, fry keep showing up, and get sold in local auctions when they start to overpopulate.
Tolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:30 PM   #5 
BlueSky99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolak View Post
Best bet for food if you aren't planning on doing it on a regular basis is a quality flake or pellet. I use a cheap coffee grinder to grind them down to the consistency of soot, makes them fry size. BBS is something you need to hatch out daily, it's a live micro food, one of the best out there. A good alternative is decapsulated BBS, no hatching needed, Brine Shrimp Direct sells them, excellent product.

Folks serious into breeding livebearers, show breeders, production breeding for profit & such start with the live BBS, then transistion to a good beefheart mix shaved with a razor blade, and a quality dry food ground down fine. Many tiny feeding several times daily, this gives fast growth, and good bulk. Folks doing a few fry for fun get by just fine with the ground flake or pellets. If you don't have a grinder get a heavy ziplock bag, toss in some dry food, beat the snot out of it with a rolling pin or some such. My coffee grinder is a cheap $12 eBay deal, works great for coffee as well. It grinds everything from flake to 12mm dry dog food (experimental fry food, ongoing work in progress), though the bigger dry food does make a bit of racket.

If you can swing the growout tank do it, I find that if you provide plenty of hiding places for the fry most of them don't get cannibalized. Spawning mops are a real cheap & easy thing to make, and work great for livebearer breeding. I've got some swords in a 20l that I don't intentionally breed, but as is common with most livebearers they do anyway. A couple mops, fry keep showing up, and get sold in local auctions when they start to overpopulate.
The flakes we have are Omega One color enhancing, so that's what I fed them (though I might buy Hikari First Bites). I haven't decided about getting a growout tank, but would 2.5 - 5 gal be good? I was thinking of getting a medium kritter keeper (3 gal), but I don't know what to do for lighting.

Here's what the tank looks like, but usually when fry are born only 1 survives, so I don't think there's enough cover.

Last edited by BlueSky99; 12-20-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:00 PM   #6 
Tolak

Omega One is a good product, bash 'em to smithereens & the fry will do well. A growout tank doesn't have to be a tank, a sturdy Rubbermaid bin will work just as well. I have a couple 150 gallon Rubbermaid ag tubs for overstock, much cheaper than a tank of that size. Once they're large enough to not be eaten they can be rehomed to the larger tank.

Unless you're growing live plants you don't need any sort of light beyond room light. My whole fishroom is lit by a couple ceiling can fixtures, and several clamp on utility lights that get turned on & used as needed.

Fry would need more cover in that tank. Spawning mops are nothing more than cheap acrylic yarn, can be added & removed as needed. That would be your cheapest alternative. Livebearer breeders are the guys that buy up bags of the ugly plastic plants at auctions, and pack them in so you can't see front to back in the tank. No pulling fry, breeder traps or any of that.
Tolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:03 PM   #7 
aurielssong

I would do a grow out tank that's probably around 5 gallons and put plenty of live plants in there just so they have places to hide from each other. I had a grow out tank once that was pretty barren, so that I could keep and eye out for sickly babes. but the bigger ones started picking on the smaller ones.
aurielssong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:37 PM   #8 
BlueSky99

My dad and I just got back from Petco and set this up (sadly sponge filters aren't sold there):

We also bought Hikari First Bite, so I think I'll switch between those and ground up Omega One flakes. Does the tank look alright, or does it need a bit more hiding spots? If so, I can make a spawning mop and put it in. Also, we don't currently have any desk lamps to use as light, so would the anubias be fine without direct light?

Last edited by BlueSky99; 12-20-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:18 PM   #9 
aurielssong

thats adorable! :)
aurielssong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:32 AM   #10 
BlueSky99

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurielssong View Post
thats adorable! :)
Thank you :) My dad picked out the pineapple. The fry were added in an hour ago. I hope they all survive the night.