Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2015, 07:39 AM   #1 
BrittHenderson94

Cardinal Tetra Sick?

10g tank
  • 5 Cardinal tatra (6th one died because it was small and was bullied)
  • 2 lyretail 24k gold molly (one male one female)
  • 1 black molly (soul survivor)
  • 2 female crowntail betta (who I will be separating if they begin causing one another problems but so far if they fight they swim to opposite sides of the tank and get over it)
  • 1 Albino cory cat (had three but this guy just seems happier by himself)
  • 1 stripped danio (used to be alone in his own tank because he killed off the rest of his danio school)

Total: 12

Water temp: 79F

Lately I've been noticing a few of my tetra moving their mouths none stop and today I realized one of the larger ones has some sort of growth on its lower jaw. It's the same colour as the clear parts of its skin and makes it look like it has a fat lower lip. I am unsure what to do about this and am worried it will spread to the rest of my fish.
BrittHenderson94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:45 PM   #2 
SplashyBetta

Oh boy, you're overstocked and you need to separate those females ASAP! The bettas may seem fine one minute, but things go downhill fast, and a minute later you'll find one dead. What if they get in a fight when you're away from the tank or asleep or not home? Do you really want to come home to one of them laying dead with her stomach ripped open?
SplashyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:31 AM   #3 
BrittHenderson94

Yes I am aware about the importance of separating I just don't have the means to until I have another heater to outfit my smaller tank. I am also still failing to understand how 12 fish is over crowding my 10g tank. Especially when most of the fish are under an inch long. And if fish kill each other they kill each other. Not saying I wouldn't be upset but it happens in the wild. I do care about my fish but life and death go hand and hand. And for the fact these two female came out of a 5g petstore tank with over 20 fish in it, I'm pretty sure 12 small fish in a 10g, when they all have their own separate spaces and hiding spots isn't over crodwing for the fact I hardly see what few fish I do have in there. I am not planning on adding anymore fish then that but I do appreciate your concern. Really my only option of separating my females is tossing one in with my male which almost seems worse since he's twice the size of them and would probably swallow them hole. That and if I wanted to be told about how I must separate my females, I would have asked that in one of the Betta threads.

I am still concerned about whatever this growth is on my tetra and my pet store can't give me a clue how to treat it or even tell me if it could spread to the rest of the tank so I'm a little more concerned about the sickness then my fish attacking each other at the moment. Plus the only threat in my tank is the Danio since he hates tank mates.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:12 AM   #4 
SplashyBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittHenderson94 View Post
Yes I am aware about the importance of separating I just don't have the means to until I have another heater to outfit my smaller tank. I am also still failing to understand how 12 fish is over crowding my 10g tank. Especially when most of the fish are under an inch long. And if fish kill each other they kill each other. Not saying I wouldn't be upset but it happens in the wild. I do care about my fish but life and death go hand and hand. And for the fact these two female came out of a 5g petstore tank with over 20 fish in it, I'm pretty sure 12 small fish in a 10g, when they all have their own separate spaces and hiding spots isn't over crodwing for the fact I hardly see what few fish I do have in there. I am not planning on adding anymore fish then that but I do appreciate your concern. Really my only option of separating my females is tossing one in with my male which almost seems worse since he's twice the size of them and would probably swallow them hole. That and if I wanted to be told about how I must separate my females, I would have asked that in one of the Betta threads.

I am still concerned about whatever this growth is on my tetra and my pet store can't give me a clue how to treat it or even tell me if it could spread to the rest of the tank so I'm a little more concerned about the sickness then my fish attacking each other at the moment. Plus the only threat in my tank is the Danio since he hates tank mates.
You are posting on a betta forum. Expect to have people caring about the well-being of your bettas.
If "life and death go hand in hand" why don't you just let the tetra die? Why are you even asking how to treat it? Fish get sick in the wild, it's natural, so why should you care? Going by your logic you should let the tetra die.
Bettas don't fight as often in the wild because they don't need to. They have thousands of gallons of water to spread out so they don't have to be near each other. It's much more common for a fish to die from disease in the wild than being attacked.
SplashyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:45 AM   #5 
BrittHenderson94

Jeeze I'm not looking to get attacked. Was just saying I'm not made of money and would love to separate them but can't. Can't even separate my sick fish at the moment so I guess I'll just have a tank of dead fish on my hands.

Just wanted some advice with how to treat whatever it is since all the fish listed are in that tank including my two Betta. Like the least of my worries is separating them if there's sickness in the tank it'll kill them without treatment anyway.

Sorry for asking.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:01 PM   #6 
MissShinku

"I'm not made of money"
If you can't afford a safe place to house two territorial fish, don't get two???? How is that hard???

And yes, you are heavily overstocked. The fish may be less than an inch, but that is their juvenile size. They will either get stunted and die, grow too big for the tank and be miserable. Pet store housing is temporary. The fish aren't in there for very long before they're bought. Overstocking is fine for short periods of time but not as permanent housing.
MissShinku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:53 PM   #7 
BrittHenderson94

Ok. I am sorry. My knowledge was limited to what the people at the pet store told me. They said they would be fine. Gave me information sheets saying it was fine. Things I looked up online were so contradictory. But I guess I'm just not meant for fish.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:49 AM   #8 
Greenapp1es

Can we all calm down a little bit?

The OP isn't the only person who's ever been told by a pet store that it's OK to put two female betta together. If the pet stores gave proper information - sites like this wouldn't be as critical as they are. But as things are, pet stores are actually propagating the majority of the misinformation out there. That doesn't make it right, but we need to understand that.

That said - OP - You DO need to separate your female betta ASAP. Your tank also is overstocked.

Aqadvisor is a great tool to estimate stocking. It's not perfect, but it will give you a good starting point for appropriate stocking in a tank. Keep in mind that stocking includes both bioload (amount of ammonia produced) and the amount of space fish need to be comfortable and not stressed. Stress can have an impact on a fish's immune system, and that can have implications for every fish in a community tank. I just plugged everything in (guessing on a couple of your guys) and you're stocked at 130% right now. Keep in mind though - that both your cories and your danio should have a larger school. To outfit them properly you would be even further overstocked.

Here is Aqadvisor if you want to play around with it yourself: http://aqadvisor.com/

What I would recommend is getting another tank ready for the female betta ASAP and moving some of your community fish into that other tank with her. I think you'll find everyone to be happier and healthier once that is done.
Greenapp1es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:01 PM   #9 
LolaQuigs

Unfortunately, people at pet stores are often not trained about proper fish care. Because your tank is so highly stocked, your tetra may be experiencing illness/infection because of water quality issues (the more fish you have, the more ammonia will build up in your tank). Is your tank filtered and cycled? Do you know what your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels are? How frequently do you do water changes?
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote