Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2016, 09:51 AM   #1 
Overprotective Fish Lover

Exclamation Help! Sick guppy!!!

So, I have a ten gallon community tank which currently houses 9 neon tetras and 4 guppies (don't worry, I'm testing the parameters frequently and changing the water when necessary). Everyone is doing really well right now...except for one guppy. He's peach-coloured and he isn't eating or swimming around as much as the others. He used to be the most ravenous of them all, even beating the Tetra Tornado to brine shrimp. :P Now food floats right in front of his face and he doesn't even try it. He still swims around quite a bit, but he spends a lot of time at the surface.

Worried that whatever-he-has is contagious, I separated him into the 5 gallon QT tank. He's acting ok but still not eating, even when there's no competition for his food. I'm debating how I should treat him. His colour still looks fine, he's not bloated (or emaciated) his fins aren't clamped (do guppies do that?). His poop does look a bit pale and stringy, but guppy poop always looks stringy to me so it might be nothing.

What would you guys recommend? AQ salt? ES? Some kind of medication? I feel like I should be doing something but I'm not sure what. I don't want to feel like I'm just putting him into the QT to die, but I don't have enough guppy experience to really do much of anything. Please help!

Thanks,
OFL
Overprotective Fish Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:44 AM   #2 
Sadist

How long have you had him? I've had that with most of my store-bought guppies. I never could pinpoint exactly what was wrong but guessed parasites and treated with Seachem Paraguard. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to save the ones that were really sick. It was always the most ravenous ones that did that, and I wondered if they had eaten a live plant that didn't agree with them. I also read that they like to have AQ salt in their water all the time, which I couldn't do with their tankmates.

I would try treating him with AQ salt and see if that helps him. If neons are okay with salt all the time, it may help to have the main tank salted all the time. Make sure and research since I'm not 100% sure of it and can't look it all up to verify what I've typed at this moment.
Sadist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:45 PM   #3 
SplashyBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadist View Post
How long have you had him? I've had that with most of my store-bought guppies. I never could pinpoint exactly what was wrong but guessed parasites and treated with Seachem Paraguard. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to save the ones that were really sick. It was always the most ravenous ones that did that, and I wondered if they had eaten a live plant that didn't agree with them. I also read that they like to have AQ salt in their water all the time, which I couldn't do with their tankmates.

I would try treating him with AQ salt and see if that helps him. If neons are okay with salt all the time, it may help to have the main tank salted all the time. Make sure and research since I'm not 100% sure of it and can't look it all up to verify what I've typed at this moment.
Tetras, and all Characidae, are very sensitive to salt so definitely do not keep the tank salted all the time.
SplashyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:53 PM   #4 

Thanks for the help!

I put some AQ salt in with the sick guppy at a little less than 1tsp per gallon. Right now he's just floating a little in the corner. Should I look into an anti-parasite med or just wait it out?
Old 01-17-2016, 04:10 PM   #5 
NickAu

Quote:
I have a ten gallon community tank which currently houses 9 neon tetras and 4 guppies (don't worry, I'm testing the parameters frequently and changing the water when necessary). Everyone is doing really well right now...except for one guppy
Tetras are soft water fish, Guppies are hard water fish, I doubt your water parameters are fine simply because of this.

Your tank is over stocked and IMO way too small for tetras
NickAu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:07 AM   #6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickAu View Post
Tetras are soft water fish, Guppies are hard water fish, I doubt your water parameters are fine simply because of this.

Your tank is over stocked and IMO way too small for tetras
I didn't realize that I needed a kH/gH test kit for most types of tropical fish. I will look into buying one. Although you're right that the tank is quite full, I make sure that I do lots of water changes to keep the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels safe.

Back on topic, Peachy is actually doing a little bit better. Two nights ago I was pretty sure he was a goner, but last night he began to show interest in food again. I added AQ salt, as Sadist suggested, and I was also able to get a hold of Jungle's Internal Parasite Guard, so I dosed that to him last night. He was bloating a little but it's not as bad now. His poop definitely looks parasitic though.

The poop of some of the other guppies looks similar to his, so I think I'll medicate that whole tank, too, to nip this nasty parasite in the bud. Everyone in the 10 gal is still showing interest in food, but I intend to deal with this thing before anyone else becomes seriously ill. I don't want it to spread to the tetras, either.

I lost another guppy (SIP Speckles I) a couple of weeks ago from what I thought was dropsy, but now I'm guessing it was probably the same thing. Bloated up, stopped eating. :( All the guppies and half the tetras are from the same store (and the tetras that are from a different store were added after Speckles I died), so it's obvious where this parasite came from. It stinks too, because I thought that all the fish from that store were pretty healthy. Guess I was wrong. :/

I'll keep you guys posted on how things go. Thanks for all your help!

-OFL
Old 01-21-2016, 09:34 AM   #7 

By the way, I forgot to mention: the 10 gallon has a high-quality internal filter intended for a 30 gallon tank, so that helps with the bioload.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:30 AM   #8 
Sadist

I had the exact same parasite-looking poop from mine. I assumed it was the mysis shrimp at first, then parasites. It may be worth getting a separate tank for the neons and guppies to keep the water nice for both of them (hard and soft, salted and nonsalted, etc). I hope the parasites don't spread!
Old 01-21-2016, 01:54 PM   #9 
rsskylight04

Tetras do not like salt in their water,.and also preffer a lower ph than guppies. Epsom salt will help with constipation ( if that's what it is) but will also raise gh, which the tetras will not appreciate.
Unfortunately, while guppies and tetras seem to make great tankmates due to similar size and the excellent visual effect the two species create together, they are not very compatible in terms of the water parameters the two fish preffer.
Most likely it can work just fine once the fish acclimate fully to your tank, but if you want to provide ideal conditions for both species you'll need two tanks.

Good luck!
rsskylight04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:43 AM   #10 
Sadist

They had them together at the pet store! The poor neons were schooling at the bottom to get away from the guppies. Or maybe they were eating some decaying food in that corner, hard to tell.