Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2014, 04:54 PM   #1 
ellekay

20L community plan

Since Petco has started their $1 per gallon sale, we're going to be getting a 20L to move our community into and move our 2 betta into the 10g divided (maybe 3 ways, if I find one I like).

Currently we have 2 Twinbar Platy (and 5 fry we'll be giving away once they're big enough).

Our plan is this:
4 Platy (included are our current two)
5 Neon Tetra
5 Green Neon Tetra
4 Pygmy Cory
2 Dwarf Gourami
1 Clown Pleco

I've looked on AqAdvisor, and as long as I get the correct filter, this set up will work. I will still have it planted, heavily at some point and have cholla (thanks to Russell :) ) and some rocks and such for the Pleco. Will the Pleco do okay with sand? I really like the look of the sand, and would prefer to stay with that if possible.

Obviously the tetras (neon especially) will be the last fish I add, as they are the most sensitive to a set up cycle. Any thoughts or suggestions that I need to think about before getting all this started in the next week or so? I want a good variety of color in the tank, and really like these fish and think they'd work well together - different levels and such.

Petco is also doing a buy 2 get 1 free for tropical fish and plants, so I figure I'll stock up on plants and get my next set of fish (either the cory or gourami, or other platy) to start with the 20L since I'll be starting the cycling process all over. Would moving all the water from the 10g into the 20L work? Obviously I'd be adding more, so it'd act like a big water change wouldn't it? I can slowly change things out if needed (like adding another filter which will eventually take place of the one I have now.

I'll also be getting a new heater. I currently have a 50W in my 10g. If I do a 20L should I get a 100W or higher?

Thanks! All opinions are welcome.
ellekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 05:41 PM   #2 
MikeG14

The Pleco will be fine in the sand. You are using driftwood for him which is good, he needs it. Be sure to give him algae wafers and feed him after lights out so he does miss any meals.

I'm not crazy about the dwarf gouramis in there, personally I would think of some marble hatchets as top swimmers. If you must, I would go with 3 dwarf gouramis , 1 male & 2 females. If he's a bully he will make his partners life a nightmare. Another will lessen the aggression. I'm not sure if that will put you at an overstock situation. In that case just do one.

Moving the water wont help the cycle. The filter media and a handful of gravel will. I'm setting up a 20 long myself and I'm taking sponges off my double sponge filters that are in my betta tanks and some gravel for an almost instant cycle. Testing and WC's will still be required, it's not automatic.

Heaters! I went through 2 defective heaters in 2 days! Eheim Jager and a Hydor Theo. I went back to an Aqueon, the most expensive one. I've never had a problem with them. It's what I've been using in my betta tanks without issue.

My tank is going to be home to a single female convict and a clown pleco. I'm planning on keeping the temperature at 77-78. My house is always at 74. I'm a fancy man and don't like to be uncomfortable. My heater only has to bring the temperature up 3. 100 watts will be more than sufficient in my case. 5 watts per gallon will give you 10. So if you keep your house cold you need to take that under consideration.
MikeG14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 05:45 PM   #3 
ellekay

I have an Aqueon heater now, and really like it and that's what I'll be getting for the next tank. I plan on moving the current sand over to the 20L. Basically moving everything that's in the 10g into the 20 when I get it and start setting it up.

Thanks for the tips with the Pleco. I plan on doing blanched veggies (like cucumber and zucchini for it - and the Platy) about once or twice a week. I had read that about when to feed it, but totally forgot! Thanks for the reminder. :)
Old 12-28-2014, 06:06 PM   #4 
MikeG14

He should be one happy pleco!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellekay View Post
I have an Aqueon heater now, and really like it and that's what I'll be getting for the next tank.
I just picked up the Aqueon Pro 100 about an hour ago. I'll let you know how I like it. It says in the instructions for best results install it vertically. I noticed that my other Aqueons, (the cheaper) models work better horizontally.

hurm...
MikeG14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:18 PM   #5 
ellekay

I have mine vertically and it does great.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:31 PM   #6 
kjg1029

youll probably want to bump the corys up to 6, they really like to have buddies
kjg1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:43 PM   #7 
ellekay

I'm starting out with the 4 cory, as that is the recommended minimum. I do know that they do better in bigger groups, but so do the tetras and I'm doing the minimum there as well. As a start, I'm going to go with the 4 that way I won't overload the filter capacity. If once all is settled, and it seems as though the filter is keeping up fine, I may add a few more. Thanks for the input! :)
Old 12-28-2014, 09:57 PM   #8 
kjg1029

well i figured youd add them all slowly anyway, i was just saying for the future total # lol
kjg1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:32 AM   #9 
ellekay

Yeah, I'll have to see how the filtration holds up. According to AqAdvisor, I'm pushing the limit anyways, but it doesn't take a planted tank into account... I'd love to have more of those and tetras :) Thanks!
Old 12-31-2014, 12:55 PM   #10 
Aqua Aurora

Tetra and cory should be kept in groups of 6 MINIMUM I recommend choosing 1 tetra and getting 7-8 and bumping the cory up to 6-8. Also advise against 2 dwarf gourami in the same tank, unless its extremely densely planted with line of sight break up all the way to the surface there will be fighting, and the dominant male will probably kill the submissive over time. Stores rarely carry females as they are duller/paler but 1 male and 3 females (again densely planted tank) would be better.. however if they breed the male will get territorial like male bettas and very defensive of the bubble nest. Best thing is to just get 1 dwarf gourami... or consider dropping the platies and dwarf gourami to getting HONEY gourami (not the same as gold or flame dwarf gourami) as they can be in small groups, get 3-4 of those. Personally I'm not a fan of plecos, they are real poop monsters, and if you are looking for a tank cleaner you should get a bristlenose not a clown pleco.. or ditch the pleco ad get 1-2 nerite snails... but this is all just my personal opinion on your list... but I STRONGLY advise getting proper schools (minimum 6) for tetra and cory!
Be mindful of temperatures, most cory and tetra prefer low-mid 70sF, while plecos and gourami like high 70s-low 80sF.
Aqua Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote