Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2015, 07:11 PM   #1 
TheStryyde

New neon tetras

So we finally got the tank established..we got about 10 neon tetras..Now the thing is they are new to the tank so they are spooking easily even when I go to try to feed them..soo the food is basically just floating to the bottom. or they just kind of pick at it. Suggestions would be fantastic as i do not want this food lingering at floor of the tank creating ammonia. The ammonia jumped to 1.0 overnight so managing that as well. because of this exact issue.
TheStryyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:29 PM   #2 
MikeG14

Did you just get them? I don't feed new fish the first day in the tank, I wait a day until they are less stressed. I would keep the lights off until they are comfortable.

What pellets are you feeding them? Perhaps they are too big.

Get out the Turkey baster and try to get the food out of there if they aren't eating it.
MikeG14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:48 PM   #3 
TheStryyde

Never thought Of using a turkey baster. . . I mean they seem to eat a bit over night. but thanks for the info. should I do another water change if the ammonia keeps creeping up? I am sure it doesn't help that my daughter will sit for hours watching them. Ah yeah it's Tetra Flakes. I crush the flakes. there was some smaller tetra granuals I tried as well. I even tried crushing some brine shrimp to get them to come out. Their school is smaller then what it was at store. so that could be playing a factor.. XD. . I knew i should have gotten cories first LoL.

Last edited by TheStryyde; 06-13-2015 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Slight update to answer questions.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:02 PM   #4 
MikeG14

Yes, I would do another water change. If the ammonia seems to be getting out of control, 2 drops of Prime per gallon daily will keep it in check.

Neons are sensitive little fish. Their main predator in the wild is the leaf fish. They really prefer some open swimming space so try to keep any plants along the back and sides. Some tannins will help them out as well. Try to keep the temperature no more than 77.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:44 PM   #5 
TheStryyde

Yeah, right now i only have one amazon sword some driftwood and a rock in there to help with the PH balancing. They seem to love hiding behind the amazon sword if anything out of the ordinary happens. Other wise they hover around the driftwood. I fed them a bit tonight they went for a few nibbles each but it only lasted about 30 secs . the ammonia is down to .50 so it's getting better. I was able to get a majority of the food off the bottem. Again thank you for the tips. I would have never guessed x drops of prime per gallon. i was trying to do that math just today.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:55 AM   #6 
MikeG14

You really have to get that ammonia down to 0ppm or they aren't going to last long. I would try a smaller pellet. My tetras love Omega One Color Micro pellets. You could also try grinding up the pellets you have by putting some of them in a Ziploc baggie a kneading them between your fingers.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:15 AM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

When you said you "finally got the tank established" I assumed it was cycled. Established is the term usually used to describe a cycled and mature tank. Your ammonia problems indicate that it is not, or at least it is not a strong enough cycle. Dose Prime @ 2-drops daily until your ammonia and nitrite read 0.0ppm.

Here's the reference you want: CYCLING: the two-sentence tutorial

As Mike suggest, smaller pellets or ground up ones are better for your water quality than flakes. Besides they're more nutritious.

Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:17 PM   #8 
TheStryyde

Yes thank you . I had been cycling the tank for about 3 weeks before hand with just plants. I'll keep at it, I'm notoriously tenacious when it comes to things I take care of.
Attached Images

Last edited by TheStryyde; 06-14-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:58 AM   #9 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Just to be clear. That's 2-drops/gal daily.

Prime does not remove of ammonia, just makes it safe. Only water changes and a cycled tank can get rid of ammonia.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:25 AM   #10 
TheStryyde

Yup I understand I've actually contacted seachem looks like a couple other posters on their forums went thru this. I switched from stability and moved to their other product seed which is basically the same thing but better. I have noticed a pattern in thier eating. They prefer t pick food off the log rather then swim to the top so I just carefully crumble it really good and drop it over the log. Anything left in there too long gets sucked out. Not optimal but their colors are good. Lost 2 tiny ones though. One got stuck in the filter the other may not been able to handle current conditions were really small. Kh is still at 40. After reading about it I guess plants will leech carbonate hardness if there is not enough C02? Aquavits(seachem) has. Something called carbonate which adds potassium bicarbonate to the water. It says it raises kh but I'm unsure about using it to raise kh. PH is currently at 6.8 GH 120 kh 40

On a better note I have a couple that seemcto be establishing themselves as boss they chase the others around nipping at them. My wife who said she has no intreset in them has suddenly taken an interest in this hobby and will sit and watch their antics from time to time. Very lively.