Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2014, 09:15 AM   #1 
hgual22

My tank is cycled!~

My 10 gallon is finally cycled! This is my first time doing a fishless cycle (with my bettas 5 and 3gals I cycled with them in, and plants) so I am pretty proud it happened in only a few weeks.

I started on september 17th, and yesterday after 2 weeks of my nitrites being off the charts, they were way down, and now today they are at 0! YAY!

I am so excited. Unfortunatly, I have to stay at my aunts house this week to dogsit, so I dont want to get the fish when I wont be here to watch them, so Ill keep testing and dosing ammonia, and them next weekend get my fish, if everything is still well.

I am getting a Honey Gourami and 3 male guppies. I should get all 4 fish at once right? I will be getting them from my lfs.

Any other tips? They tank has tons of plants, lots of tall ones and floating ones along the sidesand back, and then lots of short plants like java ferns tied to rocks and corkscrew vallis. I am very happy with the tank and hope the fish will be too.
hgual22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:18 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Congrats! Though be careful, test for a few more days for sure because sometimes you get another spike after being 0 for a day. Make sure both Ammonia/Nitrite are 0 for at least a week before you get your fish and yes, get the fish immediately and continue to test the tank for another week at least regularly. Because you used fish-less you're going to have a bigger bacteria colony and if the fish don't poop as much as the bacteria need then some may die off and cause a mini-cycle so just be careful to watch for that. If it does happen though, no worries, just keep an eye on the parameters and it should re-cycle in a week or two, do water changes if ammonia/nitrite get above .25ppm
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:45 AM   #3 
hgual22

I cant even get the fish for another week, so I'll definitely keep testing and dosing the ammonia, and once its 0 for a week Ill get the fish.

Should I dose ammonia the day before, like normal, and then the next day put the fish in, instead of dosing ammonia? I'll check the parameters right before the fish to double check, and then dose some prime, and put them in. Does this sound right?
Old 10-10-2014, 12:19 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah exactly, double check before they go in ^_^ You shouldn't have to dose any Prime but I suppose you can if you want to.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:04 PM   #5 
hgual22

Well I havent doses any prime, because I read it can affect the API liquid test? So ive been using tetra safestart, but I prefer prime so would rather have some in there.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:30 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yes it will create a false positive so you will still read how much ammonia you have (if you have .25ppm you will still have .25ppm) it will just be a less toxic version of the ammonia (turns it into ammonium instead) is all, it doesn't actually harm or change the test in any way :)
Old 10-11-2014, 04:42 PM   #7 
hgual22

Oh okay! I just didnt want to add it while cycling since I wanted to know my number were correct, since it was my first time cycling and I already didnt really know what I was doing. xD

Check again today. Ammonia and Nitrite are still both zero. I dose ammonia. Havent checked Nitrate, but I assume its very high, since it was high before I even had nitrites.