Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-05-2014, 02:55 AM   #1 
MissBec

Should I get snail or shrimp for my betta?

I did had apple snail but sadly my betta kept pecking at it then they died, what should I get? I want to control the algae in my fish tank?
MissBec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

How much algae do you get? Is it a planted tank? If your betta is aggressive to the snail/shrimp I doubt he'll tolerate other tank mates.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:38 PM   #3 
MissBec

When I had add seachem flourish to my tank for my plants I get massive bloom of algae in my tank my betta is actually really friendly she use to be good friend with male guppy but it pass away but I do have 10 neon tetra which she gets along well with.

I'm not sure why she kept pecking at apple snail but eventually they died since she broke 1 shell of them and other one died from stress I guess.
MissBec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:42 AM   #4 
TheAnimaLover

neither they both seem like a treat and will be eaten or attacked by the betta it's better to use plants to control phosphor which causes algae if you really want something pick the siamese flying fox mind you not the flying fox or a bristle-nosed catfish first one siamese flying fox second one is the flying fox third is the catfish
TheAnimaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:51 AM   #5 
Fox88

It depends on how big is your tank, algae eaters come in all sizes. Personally I don't think is a really good idea to add fish or other animals for the sole purpose of eating algae, as you have to consider compatibility and avoiding overstocking.

I would recommend:
1. Do not add any fertilizer to your fishtank unless you keep a species of plant that specifically needs so. Plants usually just use traces of elements in the water, and the excess of them cause algae blooms. You might also consider installing a CO2 system if your tank is heavily planted.
2. Reduce the time or the intensity of light, if its too strong.
3. Introduce a fast-growth plant that can suck out all nutrient from water quickly, like Asian Ambulia or change water and introduce a less demanding plant, such as anubias.
4. Just scrub with a brush or a sponge (if you're not too lazy)
Fox88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:24 PM   #6 
BradsBettas14

A nerite snail might work for you. Its much more armored and usually are easy to find.
BradsBettas14 is offline   Reply With Quote