Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2015, 09:03 AM   #1 
THATDragonLovesBettas

Exclamation Weird Bump?!

One of my female swordtails, Morgana, has a weird bump on her lower side. I think it has something to do with constipation, becuase a few days before, when I put in my BN pleco's first algae wafer, a bunch of other fish were munching at it- including Morgana. As a result, they were constipated. Everyone else seems to be fine now.. but Morgana has continued to act weird since then. She hangs out in the top right corner. And now.. the bump. What is it? What can I do for it?
Oh, and is there any way to prevent the other fish from eating Tiny's (the pleco) wafers?
Pictures:
(The red/darkish thing in the second pic)
Attached Images

Last edited by THATDragonLovesBettas; 06-29-2015 at 09:08 AM.
THATDragonLovesBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:52 AM   #2 
MikeG14

I really don't see a problem in the swordtails eating algae wafers, algae is a part of their natural diet. I'm not sure what the lump is, it could be a blockage from some fry she's storing but she really doesn't look all that pregnant. I would fast her for 2 days and see if she improves.

I feed my pleco after lights out in her territory to keep my other fish, especially my rams from taking her algae wafers. Plecos are most active at night so that's when it's best to feed them.
MikeG14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:24 AM   #3 
THATDragonLovesBettas

OK, thanks. I'll do that. This first time I put the wafer in it was early, becuase we were all excited to see him eat it. I'll probably start putting it in after lights out, not to prevent the other fish from eating it but just to go with the schedule Tiny would like. How often should I give him wafers anyway? Everyday like the flakes for the other fish? Or a couple times a week?
It was pretty suprising that the 2 swordtails never had babys; at the fish store they were in the same tank as a male. My mom and little sister were dissapointed, even though I told them the other fish would probably eat the fry. :P
Old 06-29-2015, 05:56 PM   #4 
MikeG14

I give my Pleco an algae wafer about 4-5 nights a week. Once or twice a week I feed her parboiled zucchini. I usually fast her once a week but in actuality she is still finding food in the form of missed pellets. I make sure that she gets regular feedings of veggies so she doesn't go looking for pellets. I like to keep her diet as low in protein as possible. And of course driftwood. It's vital to a pleco's diet and helps with digestion.

Oddly, she won't eat romaine lettuce, yams or cucumbers. These all would be good choices to try on your BN.

My Clown pleco has 3 caves that she likes to hang out in. I have a long pair of aquarium tweezers so I can put the algae wafer right in front of her in one of the caves then I turn the lights out. If I don't my rams will go into the cave and take out the wafer and eat it. I prefer to do it this way to insure that she gets the pellet rather than just dropping them in when it's dark and hoping she finds them. She usually will start munching on it right away.

I feed her these, a 2oz. can goes for under $5.00 a my LFS.
http://www.amazon.com/Omega-One-Vegg.../dp/B0037LT5H8

Your swordtails still could be pregnant even without a male present. They can hold on to the fertilized eggs until conditions become favorable and then drop the fry.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:19 PM   #5 
THATDragonLovesBettas

OK. I actually knew about them liking zuchini, but not the other vegetables. Right now there aren't many hides for Tiny, but I'm plannig on getting lots more. My mom liked the look of a chichlid rock, do you think he'd like that? You know, one of those rough rocks with a bunch of openings in it. I'd probably get a smaller one. I kinda like the idea of putting the wafer right in their cave. I might try that once he actually has a cave he favors. I say he but I obviously don't know gender either way yet. I'm honetly not sure what I would want, boy or girl. I geuss either is cool- he'll always be adorable to me. ^.^
The wafers I got are by Hikari, becuase I'd read that was a good brand.
That would be awesome. It feels like I've had them long enough that they would have dropped the fry, but who knows? In reality, I've probably only had them for a few weeks.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:17 PM   #6 
MikeG14

I think I know the rocks that you are talking about. Is this it?
http://www.amazon.com/Granite-Stone-...=cichlid+stone
These look pretty neat,
http://www.amazon.com/Underwater-Gal...=cichlid+stone

I think as long as it's in a dark corner, he should feel secure enough to use it. My pleco uses a cave I made out of slate, that's pretty much her home base. I also have a terracotta pleco tube that I seem to like more than she does. I also was lucky enough to find some driftwood with some natural hides that she likes to steal away in. A hiding clown pleco is a happy clown pleco. Your BN will be more outgoing especially if he has a place to retreat to if he wants to be alone. BN's are easy to sex as they mature.

The Hirkari wafers will be just fine.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:10 AM   #7 
THATDragonLovesBettas

Yup, I was thinking of the first one. I think I'll try it, when I get the money anyway. I'm hoping I find some good driftwood, and if I don't I'm going to try to arrange some pieces into a little pleco haven.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:46 AM   #8 
MikeG14

You could get some PVC pipe or a terracotta pot pretty cheap. Size it to your pleco, they like a snug fit.

My clown prefers Malaysian driftwood, she doesn't go near the mopani which is a bit harder.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:31 PM   #9 
THATDragonLovesBettas

Oh, I like those ideas...
I'll keep that in mind; but I was actually trying to find a place where I could collect driftwood. If I did do that, how do you think I should clean it? Maybe heat it up in the oven? That's what I've done for my hermit crab's branches.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:02 PM   #10 
MikeG14

Quote:
Originally Posted by THATDragonLovesBettas View Post
Oh, I like those ideas...
I'll keep that in mind; but I was actually trying to find a place where I could collect driftwood. If I did do that, how do you think I should clean it? Maybe heat it up in the oven? That's what I've done for my hermit crab's branches.
I recommend boiling it repeatedly. If not a fan of collecting driftwood locally. I buy it in my LFS. There's plenty of it close to my house in the Delaware river, it's just that there is too many active chemical plants and shipping traffic for me to feel comfortable putting in my tank. I don't know, maybe I'm just paranoid. After all, I do use the water.

Make sure there is no bark and the wood is completely dead. You don't want it to decay in your tank. Make sure it's a hard wood like oak, avoid pine.