Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2014, 06:32 PM   #1 
Tuigirl

Anyone here has Glo Fish?

Just saw a few youtube videos about glo fish and I got curious.
I know that I won't be able to get these genetically modified fish outside the States, so I would like to ask some glo fish owners about their experience.
Are they as hardy as the original zebra danios? How healthy are they in general?
Is it true that they are less fertile?
How do you keep yours?
What lighting, what ornaments and plants do you chose?
And I am curious about your setup- post some pictures!
Tuigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:16 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

They are just as hardy but the color actually fades quickly in the White Skirt Tetras and you end up with just the normal albino fish eventually. I don't actually own these fish as I'm not fond of normal Tetras/Danios either way lol but I took care of a tank that had these and it was around 6 months and they were already losing their color. No idea if they are less fertile but I believe even if you do GMOxGMO fish, you may also get normal fish from the spawn--don't quote me on that one though.

They should be kept like normal danios/tetras; in schools and for danios in a nice long tank so they can swim it back and forth to their hearts content.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:45 PM   #3 
MameJenny

Watching this thread. Personally, I'm considering a small school of these. There don't seem to be a lot of people who keep them in planted tanks.
MameJenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:58 PM   #4 
tankman12

They do perfectly in planted tanks. The main reason (i think) many planted tank people dont keep them is cuz they arent natural, and planted tanks are all about being natural. I mean they are colorful and everything, but IMO the natural colors of cardinals, apistos, ect are a lot nicer.
Posted via Mobile Device
tankman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:07 PM   #5 
Tuigirl

I actually like the aesthetic of the blue light and the colour of the fish....
but I am not sure how well real plants do in the blue light?
Tuigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:12 PM   #6 
tankman12

With just blue light, not to good.
Posted via Mobile Device
tankman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:28 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

+1

Yeah, other than the fact I'm not fond of regular tetras or danios, I like my tanks to look natural. Nothing against them, it's just my preference is all :)
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:29 PM   #8 
Alaura123

I don't have them, but my mom loves them, and said she wanted some, but I really think she only sees them as a decoration
Alaura123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:35 AM   #9 
givemethatfish

True Glofish are sterile. They cannot be bred. The company that makes them sterilizes them because they own a patent on the fish, and they are the only source for the fish.

I really like them. I had a school of them for almost a year and they never lost their color.
givemethatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:26 AM   #10 
2muttz

I've had a school of five danios ~ two "regular" colored and three glofish for over a year.

When I was establishing the school I lost several regular colored danios, but the glofish are all the originals and none have ever sickened or died. I wouldn't go so far as to say they are hardier than their plainer looking cousins. But I wonder if maybe because they are so much more expensive they are better cared for during breeding, shipping etc?

Mine have not lost any of their color, in fact they seemed to get brighter as they aged.

I have both real and fake plants in their tank. Also two large caves, they do seem to love swimming around plants and through caves.

I have one yellow and two blue glofish. The blue ones are actually quite natural looking. They appear somewhat like a brighter, more highly color washed zebra danio.
2muttz is offline   Reply With Quote