Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2015, 09:54 AM   #1 
Johnny579

Advice for breeding mollies?

Ive attempted breeding in the past but never had any success at it. I bought some mollies a few months back and they have flourished in my planted catfish tank. I came home from work to find about 30 to 40 babies swimming around. I got as many as I could into a breeder net. This is actually the second batch of fry, the first I just left in the tank and I have three left who have just gotten big enough that im not worried they will be eaten. The guy at my lfs is willing to do cash or store credit for the fry when they grown some and im wanting to start seriously breeding. These are 3 dalmation mollies and one balloon mollie, 3 females and one male. The guy at my lfs said the male wouldn't breed with my balloon mollie, any truth to that?

I am going to setup up a fry tank. This is the setup Im thinking about from what ive read is:
-10 gallon tank
-1 or 2 sponge filters
-heater
-possibly plant such as java moss
-good light

Ive read conflicting things about substrate so I prob wont fool with it. Also what would be the best way to cycle this tank? And any other advice is greatly appreciated.
Johnny579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:59 AM   #2 
SeaHorse
TFK Moderator

Get your tank set up and if you can, put some of your filter media from the bigger tank into the 10 gallon. Instant cycle. You can also move/add substrate/gravel no issues that I know of. Also add as many plants as you can over and you are good to go.

The fry will love the extra space. LOTS of water changes!! I mean DAILY will have those fry growing quickly. It is a proven fact that water changes significantly increase their growth.

You said: "These are 3 dalmatian mollies and one balloon molly, 3 females and one male." In that order? Are all 3 dalmatians the females? or not?
Dalmatian Molly #F/#M ?
Balloon Molly #F/#M ?
Which F dropped the fry?
The guy at my lfs said the male wouldn't breed with my balloon molly, any truth to that? Not sure... depending on your answer to the #'s above we may prove him wrong.

How long have you owned them? The females can hold sperm in their bodies for a long time (i.e. from the pet store tank)... up to 6 months I've heard.

28 days (count it out and mark your calender) is the usual gestation cycle so when your pregnant female gets to day 26-27... next month move her into the 10 gallon to drop her fry on day 28+ and that way you won't have to chase the fry... you just remove Momma back to the main tank. Remember to check the temperature both directions before moving her.
A water change of 1-2 degrees lower can also trigger the birth overnight... like a cooling rain in the wild. You will find the fry around the rim of the tank on the surface the next morning.

What size is the main tank? You can move grown fry back to the main tank as soon as they are bigger than the biggest mouth in the tank... so I would give them till at least a half inch long if not more.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
SeaHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:10 PM   #3 
Johnny579

2 female dalmations and the balloon molly is female, sorry that was so confusing. the main tank is a 20 long.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:37 PM   #4 
SeaHorse
TFK Moderator

Got it! That makes sense then.
Dalmatian Molly 2F/1M
Balloon Molly 1F/0M

Well now... the Balloon Molly is a man made fish is it not from breeding Mollies together to obtain this species? So would be very interesting to see if they will cross breed.

Good Luck!
SeaHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:29 PM   #5 
Johnny579

Im also wondering about a possible cleanup crew that stays permanently in the tank. My thoughts are either a few otto cats or maybe a clown pleco, would that be a good idea or just leave it fry only?