Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2015, 10:55 PM   #1 
BlueSky99

When are fry big enough to give away?

I have 1 platy and 3 dalmatian mollies and I'm pretty sure they're all bigger than half an inch but less than an inch. The mollies are maybe 1 1/2 - 1 2/3 months old, and the platy is a few weeks/a month older. When would they be big enough to be given away, and how much should I be feeding them? I've been feeding them 2x a day with 1/3 of a toothpick covered with crushed Omega One Color Enhancing flakes. Should I cut back and feed them once a day (w/same amount)?
BlueSky99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:59 PM   #2 
ballerinabob

boil an egg and give them some of the egg yolk. they will love it and it will give them plenty of protein. if they are really small, then put the yolk in a napkin, wet it with the aquarium water and squeeze it into the tank. continue to supplement with flakes. maybe in another 4 weeks they will be strong enough to travel. hope this helps
ballerinabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:52 AM   #3 
Kisiel

You should feed them 4 times every day. I feed enough for all fry to get nicely rounded bellies and feed again when they look normal. Sometimes that's more than 4 times per day, it all depends. When they're big enough, add some chopped up frozen foods to their diet.

They'll be ready to go to new homes once they look like normal fish and not tadpoles. It usually takes about 3-4 months for them to grow to that size.
Kisiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:10 AM   #4 
BlueSky99

They're currently being kept in a medium kritter keeper (3g), but they'll eventually outgrow that and put out more of a bioload. We don't have anywhere else to keep them, but we were going to see when they're big enough if our neighbor could take them (he has a 150g).
BlueSky99 is offline   Reply With Quote