Old 08-23-2012, 11:30 PM   #161 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Weird, I still see them all.
Albino kribs! :)
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:37 PM   #162 
AngesRadieux

Strange. Now they're back on my computer. Earlier when I quoted my post it showed that all the codes were gone. My computer has a mind of its own and has apparently decided to mess with my head.
AngesRadieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:38 PM   #163 
Sakura8

You should have fry soon, Agnes!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:09 AM   #164 
AngesRadieux

I hope so! Snape's really colored up nice. It's hard to see in the pictures, but his fins have this lovely lavender-ish tint. I've read that in kribs albinism is actually co-dominant so you can have heterozygous albinos as well as pure albinos. I'm positive Snape's heterozygous and I suspect Lily is as well, so I'm really interested to see if they'd produce mixed fry or all albino.

They've dug a cave under one of the rocks and every time I see them going over to it I'm hopeful, but nothing yet. Though, I'm pretty sure I see her breeding tube? I've seen some people say it only shows briefly when the female's actually laying the eggs, but I can't imagine what else I could be seeing. It's not part of a fin or anything. But the more I watch them the more I absolutely adore them. xD
Old 08-24-2012, 12:35 AM   #165 
Sakura8

What fun! I definitely want to see pics of fry when you get them. :)
Old 08-24-2012, 09:28 AM   #166 
copperarabian

I want to see fry too :D Are the kribs African cichlids? A lot of African cichlids are mouth brooders so it will be fun to watch.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #167 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Kribs are African but they spawn in caves, not mouthbrooders. They also live in slow moving planted streams as opposed to those big Rift Lake cichilds.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #168 
AngesRadieux

Yeah... And the cave my female seems to favor is one that I can't see into at all. xD So really the only way I'll be able to tell if anything happens is if Lily seems to be missing for a few days and then eventually turns up with fry. xD I kind of think they're young and don't really know how to go about courtship yet. I keep seeing Lily swim over to Snape and I think she wants to try attracting him, but then she gets distracted by bits of food left on the sand and they'll just start poking around in the sand.

But her belly is definitely redder and larger than it was when I brought her home, so hopefully soon they'll figure it out. If they do, you can be sure there'll be tons of pic spams from me with the fry. The only fry I've ever dealt with was guppy fry, so I'm definitely excited to see a spawn with a species that cares for their fry instead of just trying to nom on them.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #169 
Sakura8

Same here, I've only dealt with livebearer fry too. Can't wait to branch out into something else.

Copper, you've had cichlid fry though, because that's how you got Malina, right?
Old 08-25-2012, 11:06 PM   #170 
kfryman

I need to post some of my fish, rummynose and an endler from Sakura. The endler is a bit harder to get a picture of because right now he is alone, I am working on getting him females or males, but the petstore that has them is out of stock. They have my number though, so when they get more they will call and I can get some.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote