Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2012, 11:32 PM   #311 
Sakura8

You have some of the most beautiful little fish, LBF. Your killis and these guys . . . all gorgeous.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:53 PM   #312 
copperarabian

Those liquorice gouramis are amazing D: Sooo cool!
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:02 AM   #313 
LittleBettaFish

Sadly I lost all my killifish to some bacterial infection that went right through my fish room. It's one reason I cut way down on the amount of tanks I have.

I am hoping to move my goldfish tank back downstairs and have two tanks dedicated to breeding pairs of killifish on my fish rack.

Now it's warming up here I am planning on putting a few tubs out with duckweed, hornwort and some hydrilla in the backyard. Then I am going to introduce some pairs of australe gold, clown panchax, and gardneri gold to see if I can get some fry out of them.

Hoping to be able to raise reasonable numbers of wild bettas and killifish for my personal collection and resale. Hopefully at least then I can get a little bit of money back from my hobby.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:05 AM   #314 
Sakura8

:( Oh no! I'm so sorry about all your gorgeous killis, LBF. *hugs*
Old 10-15-2012, 12:15 AM   #315 
LittleBettaFish

Thanks. Was most cut-up about losing my beautiful male gardneri (he was a hybrid) that I raised from a tiny fry.

He was absolutely gorgeous and I had intended for him to have a little planted nano tank with a couple of females for him to hang around with.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:18 AM   #316 
Sakura8

:( Yeah, I can understand how that would really hurt to lose him. Do you know what he was a hybrid with? Would he have still been fertile or were the females supposed to just be company, not mates? I know some hybrids are infertile, like parrot cichlids.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:52 AM   #317 
LittleBettaFish

He wasn't a hybrid in the sense he was crossed with another species of fish. Killifish have a weird naming system that I don't fully understand, but it is something like the locality of the area the fish was collected in is used to distinguish between fish of the same genus.

So he was I believe a Fp. gardneri nsukka crossed with a Fp. gardneri udi-berge. He is still fertile but it is very frowned upon by killifish breeders to cross and sell these 'aquarium strain' fish on the aquarium trade as it can be difficult to discern whether a particular fish is pure or not (particularly females).

I was only going to get him females for company and any resulting eggs/fry would have been kept solely by me.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:07 AM   #318 
Sakura8

Wow. There's so much about killis that I don't know about. But I think I get it. Several fish species have geographical variants, especially in cichlids.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:59 PM   #319 
Renathory

My other fish :)
Two ropefish and one male dwarf gourami. He had two girlfriends, but they died. I was going to get company for him, but he ended up super happy being the only gourami in the tank XD I know there's a lot of food in the picture. It was the first time I fed them bloodworms, but I took out almost half of it XD

Also have two rainbow sharks. One black and one albino (they're not together in the same tank)
Renathory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #320 
Sakura8

How big are your rope fish right now? I love the head shot. What a face!