Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2012, 01:47 AM   #331 
Tikibirds

Oooh, I like liveaquaria. Are they accurate in their recommneded tank size suggestions? it seems TFK fish profiles and what they recomend for some fish are not even close in tank size.

I want a knife fish. Petsmart has them but no way can i get a tank big enough.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 11-01-2012 at 01:49 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:29 AM   #332 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
Oooh, I like liveaquaria. Are they accurate in their recommneded tank size suggestions? it seems TFK fish profiles and what they recomend for some fish are not even close in tank size.

Knife fish are awesome :D I love the brown knifes adorable face and the ghost knife is just plain cool. Too bad they get so big, their back isn't flexible so for a ghost you need a massive tank :(
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #333 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post

I tend to not trust the tank recommendations liveaquaria gives because they aren't always accurate. I always reference a second and even third source much of the time. Seriously Fish also has some great fish profiles, although they tend to have more of the unusual fish (they actually lack a lot of the common ones like goldfish!)

I just checked liveaquaria's recommendations for black ghost knifefish and they are waaaay off. The fish is weakly electric; muscles along the spine produce these electric currents. Due to these strange muscles, they have an inflexible spine (as the muscles around it can't move). Meaning they need a tank at least double as wide as they are long. You can grow them out in 50 or 75 gal tanks, but they're going to need something massive as they age. They have neat colors, but I'd rather stick with African knife fish (Xenomystus nigri). Same knife-fish cool without the massive aquarium. I've seen them at my petsmart a few times. They have such sweet little faces!
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #334 
Jwillis

I've seen some pretty awesome fish on here, but all I have is a 38 gallon tank, which I am just recently getting started. I have 7 Rummy Nose.

And a golden mystery snail.

And a plecto(Whom likes to hid, and I can't find him when I want to take a picture.)

And here is the whole tank. I feel like its kind of bare. There is an anubais and some java fern in there, and some fake plants. And obviously the driftwood. Which the piece on the right has some nasty(Too look at) white fuzzy stuff, but I read that it is not harmful at all and mystery snails eat it. Not sure if mine is or not, but we'll see.

Sorry for the bad pics, I had to use my phone.
Jwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:57 PM   #335 
Sakura8

For some reason, a lot of new driftwood seems to get that white fuzz on it and I still haven't figured out what it is. Algae? Fungus?

I will get a ghost knife someday, I swear. :D I love their little puppy-dog like faces and the way they swim upside down to feed from your hand.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #336 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
For some reason, a lot of new driftwood seems to get that white fuzz on it and I still haven't figured out what it is. Algae? Fungus?

I will get a ghost knife someday, I swear. :D I love their little puppy-dog like faces and the way they swim upside down to feed from your hand.
My drift wood always gets the long white algea, My snails and pleco eat it really fast and love it and it rarely comes back.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:39 PM   #337 
Jwillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperarabian View Post
My drift wood always gets the long white algea, My snails and pleco eat it really fast and love it and it rarely comes back.
Really? My pleco is never on that piece of wood the white algae is on.. Hmm??

*ponders*
Jwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:22 AM   #338 
LittleBettaFish

Took some photos of one of my new killifish males. This particularly beautiful boy only just went into the tank after a 1 hour car ride so is a little stressed still.

I think his 'female' is actually a young male but they look stunning displaying at each other so I don't mind much at all. Plus they are more pets to me than anything.

He is Chromaphyosemion bitaeniatum Ijebu Ode for those wondering. First time this particularly locality has been available here I believe.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:44 AM   #339 
Tikibirds

I was hoping John would find a job at a university in NYC/LI so we could live in my grandmothers house (since he is the only one who has the ability to get a job that pays well enough to afford the taxes there). The basement is like one big studio apartment and I could of had a nice, big tank down there :( But he said NO because he did not want to be in the NYC area if there was ever a bad natural disaster....

I think I want these the most, too bad they probably can't all live together :(

diamond tetra
Violet Goby
zebra pleco
and whatever this thing is:

Last edited by Tikibirds; 11-02-2012 at 05:04 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:35 AM   #340 
LittleBettaFish

Looks like some kind of pseudomugil species, tenellus or perhaps mellis?

Beautiful fish but probably a difficult one to find in the US.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote