Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #451 
MistersMom

I'm deffintaley getting rid of my gold fish. O.o they grew from cute little babies to huge fish lol.
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #452 
Indigo Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
Comets should be put in ponds because they grow so large. They also produce large amounts of ammonia.
I know They were sold to me when I knew very little about fish and when I still thought Pets at Home were reliable and didn't let you make mistakes.

Like I've said I love them to bits and certainly don't want to harm them, but I don't have a pond and can't afford to buy them a bigger tank straight away. I have been looking at tanks and the only one I stand a chance of saving up for is 52 gallons. Would that be okay with regular water changes?
Indigo Betta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #453 
FishyFishy89

It'd be a waste of money. They're eventually going to out grow that. There was a user on here who was able to rehome her comets to someone with a pond. You might be able to do that.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #454 
MistersMom

Can you litereally just toss htem into a pond?
Old 02-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #455 
Indigo Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
It'd be a waste of money. They're eventually going to out grow that. There was a user on here who was able to rehome her comets to someone with a pond. You might be able to do that.
That's depressing, they are beloved pets to me. I would miss them

Is there really no other way? What size would they need? I'm prepared to scrape together the money. Its just I can't straight away.
Indigo Betta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:12 PM   #456 
MistersMom

100 gallon tank, jk lol. Don't comet goldfish get as bg as koi sometimes? or am i lying to myself....
Old 02-14-2013, 07:06 PM   #457 
FishyFishy89

They can. But no, you don't just toss them into a random pond. People create ponds in their own yards. Most ponds are 100+ gallons. My grandmother used to have a 350 gallon pond. Oh I wish I didn't lose the pictures during a move. So big, pretty and relaxing to be by.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #458 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

No, koi hit 2-3 feet while goldfish all pretty much stop at 1 foot. xD
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:13 PM   #459 
LittleBettaFish

I keep my three shubunkin in a 45 gallon tank. It is not ideal, but the chances of three $5 goldfish finding a home better than mine is very slim. They have four large internal filters going and their tank has been cycled for three or so years now. I do two 30% water changes a week and they get fed a varied diet of flake, frozen and live foods.

All three of my goldfish are around the 7-8 inch mark and seem to be getting bigger every day now.

I am starting to feel that their tank is getting way too cramped for them. It is not an issue of water quality with me, but just the space available for these fish to swim around in.

The shorter finned goldfish are so active. When mine are startled they can cover the whole 3ft span of their tank in a few seconds.

I think you are going to run into the same problem. If you are fastidious with your maintenance and overfilter, you should have minimal problems with stunting or water quality. However, your goldfish is eventually going to seem quite big for that volume of water.

I know the feeling of not wanting to rehome, especially goldfish. Once you relinquish control of your fish, you also relinquish control of their care. I have had my goldfish for three years and knowing their average lifespan, I feel the responsibility is the same as if I own a cat or a dog.

How do you know if a couple years down the track the person you rehomed your goldfish to doesn't move out and the new people tear the pond down? There's not exactly a great market for fish store goldfish.

So you kind of have to weigh up the two options. For me personally, the risk of rehoming and the 'unknown' is too great. So I have chosen to keep my goldfish. But for you, it could be a different choice.

I'm hoping once our renovations are done and I have my fish rack downstairs sometime in the next couple of months, I can look into getting a cheap 4ft/100 gallon tank.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #460 
ao
TFK Moderator

My new Panda Garras
so darn cute~

ao is offline   Reply With Quote