Old 06-29-2012, 11:46 PM   #1 
Goldibug

Missing Scales?

10 gallon
80*-82*F
Airstone, yes
Heater, yes
Lives with 2 False Julii Corydoras

Neptune eats pellet food and freeze dried blood worms 1-2 times a day.

25% water change once a week dosing with Prime

Ammonia 0, nitrItes 0, nitrAtes 20-30 ppm

Neptune is a rescue from Petsmart. He is very territorial but leaves my cories alone for the most part. He swims around, flares at the mirror beautifully and eats well too. I'm concerned because when I bought him his nose and the top of his head were black. At first I thought it was natural coloring but am now wondering if it is missing scales. Can you tell from the picture? If it is missing scales what can I do to help them grow back?
Attached Images

Goldibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:57 AM   #2 
Blue Fish

I've had bettas previously with coloring like that, so I'd think it's just his natural color. Blue bettas seem to often have black on their heads/mouths like that. :) It's really hard to tell if he's lost scales from the picture (not your fault, just the nature of really tiny things in water on a moving fish in a picture. :)

I'd think that if he's happy and eating well, then he's probably good. I know that some foods have more protien in them, and that would help with scale re-growth, and I've seen rec's for blood worms for additional protien as well. Just be careful with them, as some people say that too many can cause bloat. :)

He's a cute boy, and I'm sure he's glad to be away from Petsmart and with someone who loves him and takes care of him! :D
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:13 AM   #3 
ihatefirewalls

It looks like normal coloration to me as well.

Iridescent bettas (royal blue/turq/steel blue) traditionally had dark faces. Metallics and masks (irid on face) came from hybrids with wild betta species. He just looks like a metallic/irid with a partial mask to me.

Last edited by ihatefirewalls; 06-30-2012 at 01:15 AM.
ihatefirewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:34 AM   #4 
Goldibug

Thanks for answering :) I guess I'll have to wait and see if his head ever turns blue LoL! Would you consider this color steel blue? Half the time he looks purple because of his iridescence.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:13 PM   #5 
Blue Fish

I'd say royal blue because of the dark on his head, but the argument could go either way. :) Plus, they change colors... ;) Buckley started out as a steel blue, but now his head is darkening, his base color is a darker/richer blue, but he's getting more and more of the iridescence...so I don't know what to classify him as either. :)

Whatever one you go with, he's a really pretty guy. :)
Old 06-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

If he's acting Normal, that's probably his Coloring. I don't think this is a Royal Blue. The Black Head is actually the Whole Head. This Black Coloring is like a Wide Line with a Patch in the Middle. I think he is either a Metallic or a Steel Blue. I also don't see his Iridescense for some reason. :/ Anywho, he is a very Pretty Delta(?), and remember Freeze-Drieds are only Treats!! Don't want him to get Bloated or Fat!! :)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #7 
Goldibug

Yes, I believe he is a super delta. They classified him as a Halfmoon at the store but his tail span isn't quite that large. Figures a chain store would do that though ;) He only gets the freeze dried bloodworms 2 times a week and he fasts on Sundays (easiest day for me to remember hehe!).
Old 06-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

Yeah, most Pet Stores are Amateurs! ;P
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #9 
Blue Fish

I got a halfmoon boy who has been stickered as a halfmoon, then they'd gone back and restickered him as a VT...? Either way, he should have been 15$ but was 3$ instead. :) Not that I cared what he was, I just thought he was a lovely fish. :)
Old 06-30-2012, 10:42 PM   #10 
xShainax

It's his coloring. :) Taz my rosetail has similar markings on his head
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote