Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Flakes, Bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x per day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25 percent after 3 days, then 100 percent every week.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress Coat and Amquel Plus. (I think thats the name of it)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He's lost some of his color, his fins are ragged and clamped, he just looks sick.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He used to swim around all the time, get happy when i'd come to his tank, devour his food. Now he just lies at the bottom of his tank, usually kind of resting on his side against his skull decoration or lays on the rocks. He spazzes out somethings and bumps into things like he can't see. It's really sad to watch. He just lays at the bottom and breaths really hard.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About a week ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I've done about 4 days of Marcyn 2 and yesterday I put about 2 tbs of Epsom Salts into freshly changed water. I haven't seen any improvements.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He had fin rot a couple months ago. That got better and his fins grew back, but it just seems like he hasn't looked the same vibrant color since then.
How old is your fish (approximately)? It's been about 10 months since I got him from a Petco.

I also want to add that I haven't seen him poop since last week sometime. I don't know how often Bettas go, but I can't imagine it being good for him not to go for a week. I've changed feeding him to only once a day, but he hasn't seemed that interested in food. I didn't feed him at all yesterday and just gave a small sprinkle of flakes today. He did eat that. I'm really worried about him. I'll post some pictures as soon as I can get my camera working. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Withered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:56 PM   #2 
xjenuhfur

You overdid it on the Epsom. It's 1tsp/gal.

Is he bloated?
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:46 AM   #3 
Withered

Sorry I ment 1/2 tsp per gallon. >.< And no, he doesn't really look bloated at all to me.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #4 
Withered

Exclamation

Here are some pictures. He's still alive but if anything he's getting worse.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #5 
ihatefirewalls

Your fish does seem sick, but does not yet have the swollen belly or pine-coning associated with dropsy. Dropsy is a set of symptoms and not a disease itself, so finding the underlying cause is most important.

Epsom salt is generally used for treating bloating associated with constipation/swim bladder disorder/dropsy as well as internal parasites. Since your fish does not seem bloated at all, I personally would have opted for aquarium salt instead as it helps with various types of infections.

Have you checked the stickies on disease treatment?

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73332

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73333

Edit: The pictures are a bit unclear. Is there something on his body near his tail, or is it just the lightning/coloration?

Last edited by ihatefirewalls; 06-30-2012 at 03:05 PM.
ihatefirewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #6 
Withered

I did look at the stickies, I am just horrible at diagnosing stuff because I freak out and say..oh, well it kind of looks like he has this, but also has symptoms of this, so thats why I posted this to get some help. This is my first fish i've ever owned and I've tried to do as much research as I can but ever site says different things so it just confuses me even more!

He has never layed at the bottom of his tank gasping for air, nor has he ever just laid on his decorations like he's been doing recently. He's looking kind of pale/grey to me, and he also looks like he's getting a white coating on his body. I put the epsom in there because he hasn't gone to the bathroom in a while, and it doesn't seem to have helped any at all because he still hasn't pooped.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #7 
Withered

I know I seem like a but, but is there anyone who knows what could be wrong? I've tried everything that I know to try and he's still just laying at the bottom on his decoration and breathing hard. Maybe he has some gill disease? I'm really worried..
Old 06-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #8 
xjenuhfur

I'm sorry I was away all day. I would probably continue the Epsom salt treatments just in case. 1tsp/gal, try some tannins and come more cover in the tank to make him feel a bit more secure and maybe leave the light off for a few days.

I honestly can't see why he would go from being a blue to a grey. :/
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #9 
MrVampire181

Dropsy isn't a disease. It's just showing the final shutting down of the internal organs.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:32 AM   #10 
Withered

Only parts of him are grey/white looking. He's still gasping for air at the bottom, bumping into things and freaking out alot. I honestly don't know what else to do. I changed a small amount of his water today and added some more epsom salt and stress coat and he perked up a little bit and was swimming okay, but after a while he just went back to gasping at the bottom. His gills look kind of inflamed too..the coloring changed from his normal blue to looking yellowish. I don't want him to die, but I also don't want to see him suffer like this anymore..it's killing me.